SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

41 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Grand Forks School Board to be presented distance-learning plan Monday, Nov. 16; COVID numbers released.
To last for 17 days

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6762049-Grand-Forks-School-Board-to-be-presented-distance-learning-plan-Monday-Nov.-16-COVID-numbers-released

Per the Strib St. Paul public school students in distance learning were failing more than 1/3 of all high school classes through the midpoint of the first quarter. Visit with any teachers that aren't doomsday COVID lemmings and they will tell you distance learning is a complete and utter disaster. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dynato said:

It depends on the definition of work.  Most of my family is still alive, I have my job, my finances improved, and I have not gotten COVID. So would you say the lock down worked for me or failed me?

-I don't believe the first lockdown was timed or applied correctly across most of America and was a complete over-reaction for many localities. It was a bad decision to do in Grand Forks when we had no cases to begin with. I said early on that we our reaction to covid should be based on local health care providers input and not political input. Now that it is coming down to local health care providers, people have PTSD because of what politicians have done and are overly resistive. 

I didn’t get cancer, aids, ALS or polio during the lockdown either, does that mean it prevented all of those things?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Thats fraud and per GA secretary of state, that's up to 10 years and a $100K fine.

I too encourage liberals to go do that.

Butt Buttt Butttt - what if one wants to move and stay in Georgia?   

Democrats Want You to Move to Georgia to Vote in the Senate Runoffs

As all eyes turn to Georgia to see whether Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the GOP will retain control of the Senate, prominent Democrats have begun urging left-wing voters to move to the state and vote for the Democratic candidates. Last week, former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang tweeted: The best thing we could do for Joe is to get him a Democratic Senate. There should be coordination of resources. Everyone who campaigned for Joe should get ready to head to Georgia. I’ll go. It’s the only way to sideline Mitch and give Joe a unified government.

“There isn’t much time,” Yang added. “The earliest date for absentee ballots to be mailed for the runoff is Nov. 18. The registration deadline is Dec. 7. The In-person early voting begins Dec. 14.”

Yang was not alone in suggesting this strategy. “I hope everyone moves to Georgia in the next month or two, registers to vote, and votes for these two Democratic senators,” New York Times columnist Tomas Friedman said in a CNN interview earlier this week.

But because the January runoffs are a continuation of an ongoing election, experts suggest it would be voter fraud, and a felony, to move to Georgia with the intention of staying only to vote in the runoff elections. Here’s more from the Wall Street Journal:
A spokesman for the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, which oversees voter registrations, declined to comment on how quickly someone could establish legal residency in Georgia, but cited state law that it is a felony to vote in Georgia elections if you are not a legal resident or if you are residing in the state briefly with the intention just to vote and then move away.

“These are sensitive issues, and election officials are going to pay attention to what is happening,” said Enrijeta Shino, a University of North Florida political science professor who has researched voting issues in Georgia. “People should be very careful about doing that.”
People moving to Georgia briefly can work on campaigns and canvass for candidates, but voting in the state without the intention of staying would be considered fraud, she warned.

BUT
Yang has already announced that he and his wife will be moving to Georgia to campaign for the Democrats. If he and his fellow progressives intend to cast their votes in the runoff, they’d be wise buy themselves a place to live and get comfortable for the long haul.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/democrats-want-you-to-move-to-georgia-to-vote-in-the-senate-runoffs/

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Per the Strib St. Paul public school students in distance learning were failing more than 1/3 of all high school classes through the midpoint of the first quarter. Visit with any teachers that aren't doomsday COVID lemmings and they will tell you distance learning is a complete and utter disaster. 

A little strong.

I really don't know anyone who claims distance learning is better.

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

A little strong.

I really don't know anyone who claims distance learning is better.

It’s not strong, it’s a direct quote I’ve heard from no less than 25 elementary teachers in my district.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Per the Strib with St. Paul students in distance learning from the beginning of the school year HS students were failing more than 1/3 of all high school classes through the midpoint of the first quarter. Visit with any teachers that aren't doomsday COVID lemmings and they will tell you distance learning is a complete and utter disaster. 

My kids in MSP suburb learned little or nothing during distance learning last year.  Hybrid learning not much better and now moving back to all online until January.  Ugh.

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Butt Buttt Butttt - what if one wants to move and stay in Georgia?   

Democrats Want You to Move to Georgia to Vote in the Senate Runoffs

As all eyes turn to Georgia to see whether Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the GOP will retain control of the Senate, prominent Democrats have begun urging left-wing voters to move to the state and vote for the Democratic candidates. Last week, former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang tweeted: The best thing we could do for Joe is to get him a Democratic Senate. There should be coordination of resources. Everyone who campaigned for Joe should get ready to head to Georgia. I’ll go. It’s the only way to sideline Mitch and give Joe a unified government.

“There isn’t much time,” Yang added. “The earliest date for absentee ballots to be mailed for the runoff is Nov. 18. The registration deadline is Dec. 7. The In-person early voting begins Dec. 14.”

Yang was not alone in suggesting this strategy. “I hope everyone moves to Georgia in the next month or two, registers to vote, and votes for these two Democratic senators,” New York Times columnist Tomas Friedman said in a CNN interview earlier this week.

But because the January runoffs are a continuation of an ongoing election, experts suggest it would be voter fraud, and a felony, to move to Georgia with the intention of staying only to vote in the runoff elections. Here’s more from the Wall Street Journal:
A spokesman for the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, which oversees voter registrations, declined to comment on how quickly someone could establish legal residency in Georgia, but cited state law that it is a felony to vote in Georgia elections if you are not a legal resident or if you are residing in the state briefly with the intention just to vote and then move away.

“These are sensitive issues, and election officials are going to pay attention to what is happening,” said Enrijeta Shino, a University of North Florida political science professor who has researched voting issues in Georgia. “People should be very careful about doing that.”
People moving to Georgia briefly can work on campaigns and canvass for candidates, but voting in the state without the intention of staying would be considered fraud, she warned.

BUT
Yang has already announced that he and his wife will be moving to Georgia to campaign for the Democrats. If he and his fellow progressives intend to cast their votes in the runoff, they’d be wise buy themselves a place to live and get comfortable for the long haul.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/democrats-want-you-to-move-to-georgia-to-vote-in-the-senate-runoffs/

You need to learn how to post without a bunch of weird random highlighting. It's weird and comes off unintelligent. 

If someone wants to move there for some long-period of time in order to vote in a Senate election, that's f'ing creepy but more power to them. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

You need to learn how to post without a bunch of weird random highlighting. It's weird and comes off unintelligent. 

If someone wants to move there for some long-period of time in order to vote in a Senate election, that's f'ing creepy but more power to them. 

What comes off uninterlligent is the words you gave as my post was "That's fraud".

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Look at your post. Then look at literally any other posters.

Best I could do without crayons, sorry bud.

One of the things UND Law School teaches (as many times my Uncle would council me on) is to get a grasp of the whole situation/incendent/story/so on. Not just pick out what you like - like your buds T & Ruddy do!
Try tell me again, where does the "That's Fraud" come in.

59 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Best I could do without crayons, sorry bud.

One of the things UND Law School teaches (as many times my Uncle would council me on) is to get a grasp of the whole situation/incendent/story/so on. Not just pick out what you like - like your buds T & Ruddy do!
Tell me again, where does the "That's Fraud" come in.

Advocating for people to move to Georgia for the purpose of voting in the special election can reasonably be inferred to be telling people to move for a month or two, not a permanent or for the foreseeable future type move.

You know exactly what you meant when you brought it up, I know what you meant, and anyone who read your post knew what you meant. This isn't a criminal court of law, there isn't some presumption of innocence on a message board.

If you take a trip to Georgia and claim residency without any intent of sticking around (or however their SoS phrased it) so that you are able to vote, you will be putting yourself at risk of getting in pretty big trouble.

I hope the locals in GA keep an eye on things. I doubt many will go through with it. But if anyone does, I hope they get the 10 years/$100K fine.

I dont know what UND law school teaches or doesn't teach. I dont go there. You don't get any sort of benefit of the doubt, we didn't need the whole story to dunk on you, again, we aren't trying to put you in jail. 

You weren't suggesting people uproot their lives for the foreseeable future to move to Georgia. You probably read some MSN article saying social media is buzzing with people claiming they may "move" to Georgia so they can vote and then move back home. 

You can play dumb, which probably comes naturally to you since you kinda are dumb, but you arent going to fool anyone by claiming "I was talking about moving and voting LEGALLY!"

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Statewide mask mandate in ND starting tomorrow. 

You will wear your mask and like it. Wtf is a mask mandate going to do? Seriously, you can't go in any store in Grand Forks without wearing one. Yes, I wear my mask. I have many different ones. Who's going to want to work out at Choice Fitness with a face mask on? From the Herald: North Dakota enacts statewide mask mandate, restrictions on businesses as COVID-19 outbreak rages

The mask order, announced in a news release late Friday night, Oct. 13, means residents of the state must wear face coverings in businesses, indoor public places and outdoor public settings where social distancing cannot be maintained. The order includes exemptions for children under five years of age, people attending religious services and those with disabilities that make mask-wearing unreasonable.

The order from interim State Health Officer Dirk Wilke goes into effect on Saturday, Nov. 14, and will remain on the books through Dec. 14.

Violators of the mask order could be cited for an infraction, though Gov. Doug Burgum urged law enforcement to prioritize education and reserve penalties for the most egregious infringements. North Dakota will join 34 other states, including Minnesota, that have already mandated mask-wearing.

Grand Forks Youth Hockey Association

GFYHA players and parents:

As North Dakotan’s, we were all made aware of the new COVID requirements mandated by Governor Burgum this evening. These guidelines state that starting Monday, November 16th -

“All high school winter sports and other extracurricular K-12 school activities are suspended until Dec. 14th. This also applies to all associations, community and club sports”

We will play our scheduled games this weekend and continue to gather as much information as possible about how this will affect our hockey season moving forward. When we know more about how these mandates specifically affect GFYHA, we will let you know

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
Grand Forks Youth Hockey Association

GFYHA players and parents:

As North Dakotan’s, we were all made aware of the new COVID requirements mandated by Governor Burgum this evening. These guidelines state that starting Monday, November 16th -

“All high school winter sports and other extracurricular K-12 school activities are suspended until Dec. 14th. This also applies to all associations, community and club sports”

We will play our scheduled games this weekend and continue to gather as much information as possible about how this will affect our hockey season moving forward. When we know more about how these mandates specifically affect GFYHA, we will let you know

Because college athletes that are know to attend large parties with other athletes aren't a concern....but kids that play in empty arenas and then go home to play Xbox are.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Because college athletes that are know to attend large parties with other athletes aren't a concern....but kids that play in empty arenas and then go home to play Xbox are.  

This could start to domino like it did middle of March.

The governors of California, Oregon and Washington issued travel advisories urging people entering or returning to their states to self-quarantine to slow the spread..