SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Mankato -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Only 3 games in but one thing I can say about this years team is that they're dangerous. They can score in bunches and from any line. How about that tic tac goal goal that looked like the goal we scored in the regional finals vs michigan in 2016? Just gotta shore up some d lapses and need goalies to get in that .915+ save % range.

• Upvote 1

Thoroughly enjoyed Friday night’s game and my conversation with the Mankato fan father/son duo sitting next to me.  Disappointed the high school senior wouldn’t let me borrow his cowbell after North Dakota’s 4 goals, but I digress...nice kid, and North Dakota is among his final two college choices.  Maybe we’ll see that purple cowbell re-painted green next fall...

Pretty lively crowd at the game...Mankato’s venue finally resembles a legit college hockey arena.  Nice to see some alumni on the wall in their NHL uniforms and some WCHA banners in the rafters.

It’s been 7 years now since the demise of the nickname.  Heard a couple of fans yell “Go Hawks!” and they were immediately shouted down by the pro-Sioux mob around them.  I proudly wore a Sioux jersey to the game myself, but I no longer yell out the word “Sioux” while cheering.  I’m sorry, folks...stick your head in the sand all you want, but it’s over, and has been for a long time now.  And to those fools wasting $40 on a cheap-looking Chinese counterfeit Sioux jersey (and I saw at least a half dozen of them there)...those things look ridiculous.  Save up your money and buy a new model “authentic” replica instead.  

Speaking of jerseys, Mankato’s have never looked better.  Loved the contrast of the white jersey with purple and yellow (Hey, it’s the Belfield Bantams!) vs the green North Dakota jerseys.  Fantastic match-up.

Great game, lots of skill on both teams by the looks of it.  Disappointed to see UND give up 3-1 and 4-2 leads and wind up with a tie, but still a good game.  As for the tie?  Awesome.  Thank you non-conference rules for sparing us from watching 3 on 3 OT followed by a meaningless shoot-out so one team’s fans could go home feeling like they’d won something.  I only wish that the 5:00 of 5 on 5 OT could bave been 20:00.  Handshakes after the game?  Pass.  Save that for the conclusion of the series on Saturday night.

Nice to see Mrs Siouxman and @Siouxman , too.  The Hogg event has been going on a long time now and I hope the team does well this year and makes a nice run in St Paul so we can have a large crowd on-hand next spring as we pay tribute to @sprig .  Can’t wait!

Thanks also to Coach Berry for taking a few seconds of his time while waiting at the hotel elevator to walk over and say “hi,” shake my 5 year old’s hand, and thank us for coming out to support the team.  Left Mankato at 11 pm, arrived back home at 1 am.  ZZZZ.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2