SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha at UND Gameday (March 9)

Cratter

51 minutes ago, Irish said:

You are correct in that this is the most likely scenario and perhaps the worst in terms of our program.  We improve just enough to make the field due to our talent influx (although leave it to Berry to suck some of the offense out of them).  This is just enough to keep Berry around but nowhere near a return to being a powerhouse.  We stay an ok but never great team for as long as Berry chooses to stay.  Welcome to mediocreville, population us.

"Most likely scenario"... He just said that he expects the team to improve next year and didn't mention the next steps, whatsoever. So, it's you taking it to the next step of saying we'll never be good with Bubbs. What makes you believe we can't be a powerhouse? 

15 minutes ago, burd said:

Overall, I think the over-the-hill-beer-bellied-men did a decent job last night. As is usually the case with this group, they didn't cheer a full 60 minutes, giving up whenever the momentum went the other way.  burd made some dumbazz comments as usual, making me wonder if he's ever actually seen a game.  A couple of times, I thought they were getting so distracted by calls they didn't like that they completely lost focus.   But, like I say, it wasn't too bad an effort, given the mediocre amount of talent they have.  I thought stoneySIOUX cheered one of his better games. 

You have to wonder if they will cheer a full 60 next week in Denver. 

Lolz wut?

44 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

"Most likely scenario"... He just said that he expects the team to improve next year and didn't mention the next steps, whatsoever. So, it's you taking it to the next step of saying we'll never be good with Bubbs. What makes you believe we can't be a powerhouse? 

I am not happy to make this prediction and I really hope it is wrong.  You must be a financial guy - you know "past performance is not an indicator of future results".  I am relying on what he has shown us so far.  After inheriting a team that was absolutely loaded and doing well with them it has been steadily downhill (on the road for the playoffs for the first time in many years).  We have a power play that was at 15% and listed at 50th in the nation.  We play with little discipline - senior captain again put us in a 3 on 5 situation in a game we needed to win. We have huge difficulty holding a lead - especially one of 2 goals.  We have the most punchless team I have seen since Rube Bjorkman.  We seem to suck the scoring right out of our recruits.  We had a freshman class that had some guys we thought would add scoring - looking at NCHC stats for freshman scoring our highest scoring frosh forward is tied for 15th.  St. Cloud State has 3 higher scoring freshman, Denver has 4.  I'm just not convinced that Berry has the coaching or recruiting chops to bring us back to the top.  I hope I am wrong, but looking at the team this year play I am very frustrated that we have fallen so far so fast.  We need a serious talent upgrade and a re-evaluation of our "systems".  Can Berry take a long hard look at what needs to change?  Perhaps, but in my experience Coaches can be the most stubborn of people when it comes to their System - See Bubba in football - he thought our offensive scheme was just fine until it finally bit him in the butt after many years.  I really hope Berry can turn this around, but have seen nothing in this season that indicates he is willing to make any changes.  I am excited about our next year's class - but name one forward recruit in the past two years who has developed beyond expectations well, (well, ok Sendin) (or even developed up to expectations).  When you look at past talent and then look at this team it makes you wonder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering why every year Midco starts showing the senior show after the last home regular season game and then constantly cuts away to show us the player's reactions. I have never produced a TV show, but it sort of takes away from the home audience seeing anything that matters. Good to see the players cry, but maybe a split screen would work? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I am not happy to make this prediction and I really hope it is wrong.  You must be a financial guy - you know "past performance is not an indicator of future results".  I am relying on what he has shown us so far.  After inheriting a team that was absolutely loaded and doing well with them it has been steadily downhill (on the road for the playoffs for the first time in many years).  We have a power play that was at 15% and listed at 50th in the nation.  We play with little discipline - senior captain again put us in a 3 on 5 situation in a game we needed to win. We have huge difficulty holding a lead - especially one of 2 goals.  We have the most punchless team I have seen since Rube Bjorkman.  We seem to suck the scoring right out of our recruits.  We had a freshman class that had some guys we thought would add scoring - looking at NCHC stats for freshman scoring our highest scoring frosh forward is tied for 15th.  St. Cloud State has 3 higher scoring freshman, Denver has 4.  I'm just not convinced that Berry has the coaching or recruiting chops to bring us back to the top.  I hope I am wrong, but looking at the team this year play I am very frustrated that we have fallen so far so fast.  We need a serious talent upgrade and a re-evaluation of our "systems".  Can Berry take a long hard look at what needs to change?  Perhaps, but in my experience Coaches can be the most stubborn of people when it comes to their System - See Bubba in football - he thought our offensive scheme was just fine until it finally bit him in the butt after many years.  I really hope Berry can turn this around, but have seen nothing in this season that indicates he is willing to make any changes.  I am excited about our next year's class - but name one forward recruit in the past two years who has developed beyond expectations well, (well, ok Sendin) (or even developed up to expectations).  When you look at past talent and then look at this team it makes you wonder. 

wow, while you are inside my brain will you find where I stashed the spare key to the gun safe?    seriously, this is my thought by a more articulate mind, kudos

2 hours ago, Irish said:

All of these things come down to forward talent, IMO. The system is geared towards our most talented players. We have a gaping hole of talent in the forward group, overall, with the upperclassmen. I 100% believe a guy like Adams needs players to set him up. Shane Gersich is the perfect example. We just don't have the forward talent to get the younger guys involved consistently. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Literally all of these things come down to forward talent, IMO. The system is geared towards our most talented players. We have a gaping hole of talent in the forward group, overall, with the upperclassmen. I 100% believe a guy like Adams needs players to set him up. Shane Gersich is the perfect example. We just don't have the forward talent to get the younger guys involved consistently. 

I disagree, these kids have talent or they wouldn't be playing at UND. I would say its more of the offensive scheme that Berry is running. He is still running a dump into the corner grind and control system when we dont have the right players for it. This style of play takes away alot of offense out of games but usually gives you a chance at winning against better teams. The problem is they run it all the time even against teams they are clearly better then and its hurting this team.

• Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, ThompHockey said:

I disagree, these kids have talent or they wouldn't be playing at UND. I would say its more of the offensive scheme that Berry is running. He is still running a dump into the corner grind and control system when we dont have the right players for it. This style of play takes away alot of offense out of games but usually gives you a chance at winning against better teams. The problem is they run it all the time even against teams they are clearly better then and its hurting this team.

Yes, we dump into the corner, grind out board battles and feed the points. We absolutely have the players for this kind of scheme because that is, to a T, how we've won games. We have the exact kind of players to run this kind of system -- hard working, grind it out forwards and dynamic defensemen. 

They have talent, but the type of forwards we have now, with the exception becoming Kawaguchi, aren't ones that can create their own space and make a play. So, we have a system that relies on hard work and puck control. An influx of playmaking and scoring can absolutely get this team to move forward because we have great D and goaltending and a group of hard workers. 

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yes, dump into the corner and feed the points. We absolutely have the players for this kind of scheme because that is, to a T, how we've won games. We have the exact kind of players to run this kind of system. Hard working, grind it out players. 

They have talent, but the type of forwards we have now, with the exception becoming Kawaguchi, aren't ones that can create their own space and make a play. So, we have a system that relies on hard work and puck control. An influx of playmaking and scoring can absolutely get this team to move forward because we have great D and goaltending and a group of hard workers. 

We have won games this way because its the only system Berry runs and why our record is what it is..  we lose most battles in the corner because Rhett and Smith are the only forwards we have that have the size to really battle for the puck. We do have a great D core but they fact they are the ones that are running the offensive is why our forwards arent producing. Which plays into the whole this style of play isnt meant for offensive output more control of games

14 minutes ago, ThompHockey said:

We have won games this way because its the only system Berry runs and why our record is what it is..  we lose most battles in the corner because Rhett and Smith are the only forwards we have that have the size to really battle for the puck. We do have a great D core but they fact they are the ones that are running the offensive is why our forwards arent producing. Which plays into the whole this style of play isnt meant for offensive output more control of games

Our forwards aren't producing because they aren't the type of forwards that can take over games. Hence why we run through the D men.

We don't win a lot of puck battles? I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. We are a dominant possession team and that reflects statistically. You don't hold possession more often than your opponent if you lose most battles. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Our forwards aren't producing because they aren't the type of forwards that can take over games. Hence why we run through the D men.

We don't win a lot of puck battles? I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. We are a dominant possession team and that reflects statistically. You don't hold possession more often than your opponent if you lose most battles. 

Being able to create space and get into the high scoring areas with a pass or beating the defender one on one seems to be a problem. As well as having guys that can finish those chances. I think Gooch could put up some really good numbers if he had a pure sniper who could get open to play with. Some of the line combos baffle me, but I know I'm not the only one.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

wow, while you are inside my brain will you find where I stashed the spare key to the gun safe?    seriously, this is my thought by a more articulate mind, kudos

I'll work on your spare key as soon as I find your stash of cash.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

How is he figuring participated in, because Jones was only here two years and both he and Gardner missed a bunch of games the last few years.  How many games did Anderson actually participate in?

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

giphy.gif

Looks like Jayson's Gems shouldn't be believed. 

2016:  34

2017:  21

2018:  17

2019 (thus far):  18

The actual total is 34 in 2016 and 56 (again, thus far) in the next three seasons.  It might not be 40 out of 89 as erroneously reported, but 34 out of 90 is not much better.  

49 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The actual total is 34 in 2016 and 56 (again, thus far) in the next three seasons.  It might not be 40 out of 89 as erroneously reported, but 34 out of 90 is not much better.  

Definitely. First senior class to not win 100 or more games since 2005 and only the second since 1998 if my math is right. 

20 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I'll have what he's having bartender!   Seriously, I do see better things next season ((my God, it better be better)  but unless goal scoring/finishing skills take a big jump we'll probably be looking at 3rd or 4th place in conf play/hopefully make top 12 ranking in Pairwise but certainly not top-tier as like in the Haks days most seasons.  I sure do hope I'm proved wrong but standards/expectations here lately have dropped just a tad for obvious reasons.

Players need to take responsibility. Look at our penalty minutes, and poor power play. Gardner was supposed to be a senior leader, but leads the team in penalty minutes. He was benched for an entire period for crying out loud. We have highly talented forwards coming in next year. Gooch looks to be getting to that next level, and I love our defense and goal tending. Keane, Senden and Hain will be crucial to team success next year. 

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

It's worse.

• Upvote 1