SiouxSports.com Forum

Golf

SiouxFan100

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Gotta reduce the # of tournaments. Too many and it dilutes the product. When you have 40+ tournaments the top guys aren’t playing in them all. Tpc twin cities is a red headed step child compared to other events. The week after the players fly back from the UK and the location/course isn’t exactly inspiring.

That's only part of the story, though.  Those extra slots (as well as the "alternate field events" that run opposite WGC tournaments) make a lot of room for journeymen and guys trying to earn - or keep - their cards.  The fact of the matter is that the stars only turn out for a handful of big events.  For the Tour to piss and moan about LIV as if it's affecting the integrity of the fields week in and week out is pathetic.  Before this year, the Tour never seemed to care what its players were doing on their many off weeks; many were allowed to freely play in Asia or Europe (and were paid handsome appearance fees to boot).

If the Tour was serious about extracting value from its top talent, it would increase the yearly minimum number of starts to keep the stars in front of the fans.  Or at least retool the FedEx Cup to place a premium on frequency of play.  But that would, in turn, diminish opportunities for the other guys, and burn out the big guns (especially the aging ones).

Golf is a funny sport, and nothing like, say, NASCAR.  160 guys from up and down the standings tee it up on Thursday, and there's still no guarantee that the marquee names (however many bothered to play that week) are going to be in the mix on Sunday afternoon.  Which is why all the bellyaching about LIV is so sad.

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no such thing as too many anything in the summer considering there is isn't much out there other than baseball....i'll take what i can get.

Yeah 48 events is too many. There’s no off-season and no time off to get excited for a new golf season. Most people don’t even know where one ends and the next begins. 

One idea is you could try spending time outside playing golf rather than watching golf :D Subzero temps will be here before you know it so enjoy the sun!

13 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That's only part of the story, though.  Those extra slots (as well as the "alternate field events" that run opposite WGC tournaments) make a lot of room for journeymen and guys trying to earn - or keep - their cards.  The fact of the matter is that the stars only turn out for a handful of big events.  For the Tour to piss and moan about LIV as if it's affecting the integrity of the fields week in and week out is pathetic.  Before this year, the Tour never seemed to care what its players were doing on their many off weeks; many were allowed to freely play in Asia or Europe (and were paid handsome appearance fees to boot).

If the Tour was serious about extracting value from its top talent, it would increase the yearly minimum number of starts to keep the stars in front of the fans.  Or at least retool the FedEx Cup to place a premium on frequency of play.  But that would, in turn, diminish opportunities for the other guys, and burn out the big guns (especially the aging ones).

Golf is a funny sport, and nothing like, say, NASCAR.  160 guys from up and down the standings tee it up on Thursday, and there's still no guarantee that the marquee names (however many bothered to play that week) are going to be in the mix on Sunday afternoon.  Which is why all the bellyaching about LIV is so sad.

Tbh I could and have had entire conversations about my thoughts on LIV and why I dislike it. But you can dislike the LIV Tour and also think the PGA Tour has a lot of work to do to improve. They’re not mutually exclusive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ToDaClub said:

Has to hit the bottom of the cup to count as in.  That's why you see guys carefully pull out the pin before they remove the ball. 

One of the rules that was inbedded in me by my JH and HS golf coaches:  Always reach into the cup to remove the ball, never pull the flagstick to do it. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

One of the rules that was inbedded in me by my JH and HS golf coaches:  Always reach into the cup to remove the ball, never pull the flagstick to do it. 

That's not because the shot isn't considered holed, but to prevent damage to the cup or lip.  Not a rule of golf per se, but certainly good manners and golf course etiquette. Similar to pulling the ball out of the cup with your putter.

10 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

That's not because the shot isn't considered holed, but to prevent damage to the cup or lip.  Not a rule of golf per se, but certainly good manners and golf course etiquette. Similar to pulling the ball out of the cup with your putter.

Without question good manners.  

Wish more would have that mindset, espeically when fixing divots on the green.

50 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Without question good manners.  

Wish more would have that mindset, espeically when fixing divots on the green.

Golfed this morning with my daughter at our local public course. Unbelievable how many ball marks I fixed on each green. Really not that tough to fix if people weren’t so inconsiderate and lazy 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Long long ago (golf just invented), I worked in GF one summer and had a schedule that allowed me long weekends. I'd play Ray (cheap with ID). One Friday night I paid my fees to "some guy" (last bill in wallet) and went off by myself. I did my usual of fixing the worst of the divots I'd find. Finish the round and turns out that guy was watching me. He said "so you're the guy my crews have been telling me about." I wasn't sure what that meant. He said I fixed about 70 ball marks that round and that his crew told him "some guy" was doing that whenever he was out. Turns out he was the course pro and he made me a deal: Keep doing that and here's your comp'd season pass. 

back when the clubhouse was an old two story farmhouse?

On 7/25/2022 at 12:40 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Long long ago (golf just invented), I worked in GF one summer and had a schedule that allowed me long weekends. I'd play Ray (cheap with ID). One Friday night I paid my fees to "some guy" (last bill in wallet) and went off by myself. I did my usual of fixing the worst of the divots I'd find. Finish the round and turns out that guy was watching me. He said "so you're the guy my crews have been telling me about." I wasn't sure what that meant. He said I fixed about 70 ball marks that round and that his crew told him "some guy" was doing that whenever he was out. Turns out he was the course pro and he made me a deal: Keep doing that and here's your comp'd season pass. 

So did you get a free pass?

• 4 weeks later...

PGA Tour announces sweeping changes re: player participation and compensation. No matter how anyone might try to spin it, LIV moved the needle, and the PGA was caught with its pants down. 

My question is...will anyone give credit where credit is due? Greg Norman has now done as much for players financially as Tiger before him. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hoping he can recapture some of the early season magic, and a little more consistency.  Still likely to be a factor down the stretch in terms of a high finish for the Cup.

ND's Tom Hoge sitting at T10 heading into the final day of the Tour Championship...looks to be a very nice payday.  Also reportedly in the mix for a spot on the Presidents' Cup roster.

Whether it's a bug or a feature of the system, it definitely shows that playing well early in the season and notching at least one W can offset a mediocre summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hoge opened with a 78 and rallied to make the cut on the number, before shooting a course record 62 on Saturday and casually logging a T-3 finish at the Players.

Hard not to cheer for this guy.

He was making flight plans after his second round thinking he missed the cut then goes and shoots course record. Not a bad payday 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...