SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-4, 8-11) @ NDSU (2-3, 8-11)

SWSiouxMN

UND gave it the old college try and nearly pulled off a big home win.   However, it was too much Daum for their liking and SDSU was able to come away with the home win.  UND will head down I-29 to take on in-state rival NDSU, who is trying to figure things out themselves.

Things have not been going well for NDSU basketball program under Dave Richman, who exploded onto the scene with a surprising NCAA Tournament appearance and a Summit League Title in 2014-15. Since then, the program has dropped in its win total and has muddled in the middle of the Summit.  Worse yet, they had a massive overhaul of their roster in which they have zero seniors.  Richman knows that the pressure is starting to build as many in Fargo are not too pleased with the progression of the program, especially with the success down in Brookings.  They know they have to turn it around and fast.

Key Player: Tyson Ward (6'6 Junior)

Could have went with a few players here but I went with the lanky 6'6 guard from Tampa.  He has had a solid start to the Summit League play as he scored double figures in 4 of the first 5 games.  He has done most of his damaged inside, taking less shots from 3 this season so far, but he has shown the capability of knocking a few down.   Very good rebounder.  

X-Factor: Deng Geu (6'8 Junior)

Deng continues to improve every year he has been in the program.  He's playing around 20 minutes, but is nearly averaging 12 points in that time and 5.3 rebounds per game.  He will shoot a 3 pointer every now and then but he will do most of his damage on the inside.  Shooting 59% from the field

Keys:

1) Attack NDSU defense

2) Get off to a good start

3) Lean on the seniors and Stewart to lead the way in the tough moments.

Other games:

Fort Wayne (4-1) @ WIU (1-5)

ORU (4-2) @ DU (1-5)

USD (2-3) @ Omaha (4-1)

The Call:

When this rivalry got started up again there has been trends in the results.  First it was all the home teams winning, recently it has been the road teams.  This is a must win for both teams to be honest as both teams needs to get some space away from the DU/WIU cellar.  I'm making my pick for two reasons:  I think UND is player better right now and I'm sticking with the road team trend for right now.

UND 79-72

Reminder:  Keep it clean everyone. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND gave it the old college try and nearly pulled off a big home win.   However, it was too much Daum for their liking and SDSU was able to come away with the home win.  UND will head down I-29 to take on in-state rival NDSU, who is trying to figure things out themselves.

Things have not been going well for NDSU basketball program under Dave Richman, who exploded onto the scene with a surprising NCAA Tournament appearance and a Summit League Title in 2014-15. Since then, the program has dropped in its win total and has muddled in the middle of the Summit.  Worse yet, they had a massive overhaul of their roster in which they have zero seniors.  Richman knows that the pressure is starting to build as many in Fargo are not too pleased with the progression of the program, especially with the success down in Brookings.  They know they have to turn it around and fast.

Key Player: Tyson Ward (6'6 Junior)

Could have went with a few players here but I went with the lanky 6'6 guard from Tampa.  He has had a solid start to the Summit League play as he scored double figures in 4 of the first 5 games.  He has done most of his damaged inside, taking less shots from 3 this season so far, but he has shown the capability of knocking a few down.   Very good rebounder.  

X-Factor: Deng Geu (6'8 Junior)

Deng continues to improve every year he has been in the program.  He's playing around 20 minutes, but is nearly averaging 12 points in that time and 5.3 rebounds per game.  He will shoot a 3 pointer every now and then but he will do most of his damage on the inside.  Shooting 59% from the field

Keys:

1) Attack NDSU defense

2) Get off to a good start

3) Lean on the seniors and Stewart to lead the way in the tough moments.

Other games:

Fort Wayne (4-1) @ WIU (1-5)

ORU (4-2) @ DU (1-5)

USD (2-3) @ Omaha (4-1)

The Call:

When this rivalry got started up again there has been trends in the results.  First it was all the home teams winning, recently it has been the road teams.  This is a must win for both teams to be honest as both teams needs to get some space away from the DU/WIU cellar.  I'm making my pick for two reasons:  I think UND is player better right now and I'm sticking with the road team trend for right now.

UND 79-72

Reminder:  Keep it clean everyone. 

This game has to be a must win for both teams, the basement is a lot closer than the top so start getting some road wins.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

ESPN3

Or is it ESPN+?

I use to get ESPN3 free when logged in with cable account, but ESPN+ charges a monthly fee I found out the other day when UND played SDSU.

Edit: Looks like ESPN3. Not sure how they decide between "3" and "+".

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Or is it ESPN+?

I use to get ESPN3 free when logged in with cable account, but ESPN+ charges a monthly fee I found out the other day when UND played SDSU.

Seems that most games are now on +, but this one is on 3

• Upvote 1

There have been many a great games in many sports, even played hockey against each other at the beginning of the last century. Some of the most memorable games for many alumni have been in this rivalry. 

Agricultural College used Fighting Aggies for a time when we were the Flickertails.
Supporters sought Sioux and Bison mascots as an upgrade for a more competitive atmosphere.
UND leads head to head record in most sports.
Enrollment has been very close the last few years.
Hawks verses Bison is the new game.
Summit, MVFC, NCHC (UND only)

Today's BB game with the Bison will be a first conference game in many years, already had some in other sports in this Div I era.