SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Jerseys returning December 2018?!

Frozen4sioux

Im just putting this out there to give the Hawkzi's time to run screaming REEEEEEEEEEEEE for their safespace but.....

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota hockey program announced on Thursday that it will recognize its 1958-59 NCAA championship team, which won the first of the program's eight national titles, on a pair of occasions during the 2018-19 season.

North Dakota will wear 1958-59 replica jerseys during its Dec. 29 exhibition game against the United States Under-18 Team at Ralph Engelstad Arena. The jerseys will then be sold via online auction at FightingHawks.com with the proceeds benefiting the Sioux Scholarship Endowment, which provides scholarship assistance to Native American students.

Interesting to see how these play out as the Sammy Sioux arm patch isnt exactly "PC"... 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Im just putting this out there to give the Hawkzi's time to run screaming REEEEEEEEEEEEE for their safespace but.....

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota hockey program announced on Thursday that it will recognize its 1958-59 NCAA championship team, which won the first of the program's eight national titles, on a pair of occasions during the 2018-19 season.

North Dakota will wear 1958-59 replica jerseys during its Dec. 29 exhibition game against the United States Under-18 Team at Ralph Engelstad Arena. The jerseys will then be sold via online auction at FightingHawks.com with the proceeds benefiting the Sioux Scholarship Endowment, which provides scholarship assistance to Native American students.

Interesting to see how these play out as the Sammy Sioux arm patch isnt exactly "PC"... 

What did those jersey's look like back then?

Per the settlement UND must 'retain the rights' to the old nickname and logos.

To do that they must use them from time to time. Making, wearing, and selling legacy jerseys meets that criteria. 

Nothing to see here other than meeting contractual obligations and keeping NCAA lawyers at bay. 

PS - Notice where the money from the jersey auction is going ... 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

PS - Notice where the money from the jersey auction is going ... 

Actually a bit concerned about essentially transferring money from a struggling athletics department to a non-athletics-related scholarship endowment.  Nothing against the scholarships, but I hope the REA is paying the initial cost for the jerserys rather than UND.

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Actually a bit concerned about essentially transferring money from a struggling athletics department to a non-athletics-related scholarship endowment.  Nothing against the scholarships, but I hope the REA is paying the initial cost for the jerserys rather than UND.

Maybe they're donating the profits and recouping UND/REA for the costs of the jerseys? That would make the most sense to me, doesn't mean that's how it's being done though.

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No the REA would not be paying for the jerseys. The University (a.k.a the STATE) are the ones footing the bill, hence why it is going to scholarships. 

23 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

No the REA would not be paying for the jerseys. The University (a.k.a the STATE) are the ones footing the bill, hence why it is going to scholarships. 

The state typically isn't allowed to make donations.  So the scholarship fund would likely need to be under UND rather than the Foundation.

Even so, I'm still not a fan of diverting athletics funding to non-athletics related scholarships.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Hawkzi? I am not anti-Sioux if the NCAA dropped the rule and UND was able to retain the Sioux name again I would be all for it. I still wear Sioux gear from time to time. This is a good thing for the university to do and for a good cause. Sorry Frozen4Sioux no arguments from me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I find that hard to believe, considering how much you RIP on the Sioux name... but either way. I like your response!  Its neutral. Go Sioux!!

I wear a Sioux jacket in winter, a Sioux hoodie at work and I have 2 Sioux jerseys I wear now and then, mixed in with Fighting Hawks gear. I’m not burning or getting rid of my Sioux gear. I even have a Sioux hat with the Blackhawk logo I got in the 80’s. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

So now that this event has come and gone, and no one seems to have died, I would be very interested to hear from the most ardent, extremist NA advocate types about all of the harm it caused. Seriously. Can someone articulate a reason - any reason at all - why occasional uses are or should be a problem?

I say to UND, let's get over it and do this more often, and to hell with the critics. Is the side that "won" the war (but seems reluctant or unable to admit victory) willing to martyr itself over and over?

PS - I thought the jerseys looked great on the ice.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:17 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Those were the nicest jerseys I've seen at The Ralph in 6 years. Honestly though, I just love the old classic, clean look of them.  It could have Hawks diagonally and I would've still really liked them.

Im hoping for something like this with the next generation of jerseys.

• Upvote 3