SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League WBB

I see ORU has two more girls in transfer portal the Moore girls which now  brings them with 9 transfers since the end of the season and leaves them with 5 players on the roster. This is going to be total rebuild.  This is not how to build up your conference with loss of talent that has transferred since the end of the season. I see Ezeudu is going to the Florida Gulf Coast University power in the Asun conference and has been to NCAA tournament frequently. I wonder if number of the top talent transferring has to do with the dominance the South Dakota Schools have had in Summit where they are moving on to where they have better chance to play in the NCAA tournament. The new commissioner will need to look into this i believe because its not healthy for the conference.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Carlee Sieben is now in the transfer portal is this result of yearend performance appraisal for player by coaches and better for her move on to where she would get more playing time. I hate to see her go one of few North Dakota players left on this team. We will only have Manson left from North Dakota. I sure would have liked if we could have recruited one the North Dakota girls that went elsewhere.

Has anyone heard what is their plan on replacing Olivia Lane for the coming year. They are going to need big girl that has experience playing if they are going to compete this coming year in the Summit Conference. With all the shake up in Summit this off season they have good chance to be 2 or 3 team in the conference and this would put them in position to for post season play. As it stands now i would say if they can replace O. Lane they would be competing with WIU and USD for these top positions in the conference and that is giving SDSU odds on favorite to be number one team in the conference. They are already getting predictions they could be 4 or 5 seed in next years NCAA tournament. It would be nice for us to be able to get WNIT bid this next year if this team can come together with what's returning and new recruits coming in.

• 6 months later...

I have to agree with you and after watching this fall majority of the teams in Summit would have difficult beating their second five this year. They are deep and big and also very quick will be difficult to match up too.  Coach Johnson has built quite a program and I don’t see it changing much as long as he stays SDSU. I just wonder how long before somebody gets him to move my guess will be Minnesota is calling on him with big money offer soon if they continue to loose.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I have to agree with you and after watching this fall majority of the teams in Summit would have difficult beating their second five this year. They are deep and big and also very quick will be difficult to match up too.  Coach Johnson has built quite a program and I don’t see it changing much as long as he stays SDSU. I just wonder how long before somebody gets him to move my guess will be Minnesota is calling on him with big money offer soon if they continue to loose.

Minnesota should have hired him after Borton left.

13 hours ago, ND-fan said:

They contacted him but since Johnston didn’t leave for Green Bay and went back to SDSU, not sure why he would leave for Minnesota. He’s got a good thing going in Brookings.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, ND-fan said:

I see Carlee Sieben is now in the transfer portal is this result of yearend performance appraisal for player by coaches and better for her move on to where she would get more playing time. I hate to see her go one of few North Dakota players left on this team. We will only have Manson left from North Dakota. I sure would have liked if we could have recruited one the North Dakota girls that went elsewhere.

Has anyone heard what is their plan on replacing Olivia Lane for the coming year. They are going to need big girl that has experience playing if they are going to compete this coming year in the Summit Conference. With all the shake up in Summit this off season they have good chance to be 2 or 3 team in the conference and this would put them in position to for post season play. As it stands now i would say if they can replace O. Lane they would be competing with WIU and USD for these top positions in the conference and that is giving SDSU odds on favorite to be number one team in the conference. They are already getting predictions they could be 4 or 5 seed in next years NCAA tournament. It would be nice for us to be able to get WNIT bid this next year if this team can come together with what's returning and new recruits coming in.

12 points and 10 assists for Concordia last night. She was never a D1 player. Good move by her.

2 hours ago, und1995 said:

They contacted him but since Johnston didn’t leave for Green Bay and went back to SDSU, not sure why he would leave for Minnesota. He’s got a good thing going in Brookings.

Why would he leave? $$$$$$$$

I have heard that Minnesota is the one job he covets.     He obviously recruits the state of Minnesota pretty hard.  Bigger question is would the Gophers hire a male head coach for WBB?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, goyotes said:

I have heard that Minnesota is the one job he covets.     He obviously recruits the state of Minnesota pretty hard.  Bigger question is would the Gophers hire a male head coach for WBB?

Would agree.

But, somebody in MN athletic department might recognize the upside to this coach vs available female coaches and persuade enough evolved to move forward.

3 hours ago, goyotes said:

Well maybe he could identify as...nevermind, I won't go there.:blink:

On 11/23/2022 at 9:51 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Would agree.

But, somebody in MN athletic department might recognize the upside to this coach vs available female coaches and persuade enough evolved to move forward.

Not sure U of M will ever have the guts to can a U of M legend.

• 3 weeks later...

SDSU played fairly impressive game against South Carolina and pretty much showed we have long way to go before we’re able to play with SDSU. I wish we could have recruiting class like they have. There freshmen are playing closer to veterans than freshmen. The class we recruited this year has great potential but they all need to work on developing their skills where SDSU girls look like they are sophomores or juniors. This just gives them deeper team and we are not going see much of fall off in the coming year so if we are going to compete we need to pick up recruiting to match their talent levels. Johnson looks like he on mission put a team that can put a deep run into ncaa tournament consistently each year. If we want to next level it’s going to take big effort on recruiting and support from university, and the fan base to move this program ahead. My hope is that we can make it into one of the post season tournaments this year and have good showing. I would think this would help on recruiting. This is not like in the past where you recruit one or two star players make a run now you need complete team of high quality players. This year we have nine competing  for second place but we pretty much know who will one representing us at NCAA tournament.

13 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

SDSU played fairly impressive game against South Carolina and pretty much showed we have long way to go before we’re able to play with SDSU. I wish we could have recruiting class like they have. There freshmen are playing closer to veterans than freshmen. The class we recruited this year has great potential but they all need to work on developing their skills where SDSU girls look like they are sophomores or juniors. This just gives them deeper team and we are not going see much of fall off in the coming year so if we are going to compete we need to pick up recruiting to match their talent levels. Johnson looks like he on mission put a team that can put a deep run into ncaa tournament consistently each year. If we want to next level it’s going to take big effort on recruiting and support from university, and the fan base to move this program ahead. My hope is that we can make it into one of the post season tournaments this year and have good showing. I would think this would help on recruiting. This is not like in the past where you recruit one or two star players make a run now you need complete team of high quality players. This year we have nine competing  for second place but we pretty much know who will one representing us at NCAA tournament.

They will be a tough matchup for anyone but if there is a way to take them down: turnovers.

I agree on that, but they are getting back their point guard next week should clean up high percentage of their turnovers and give them good three point shooter and if not good at pentrating to the basket.  If Myer gets back to level she was at last year Rabbits are going to tough to beat. My hope would be they get over confident and play sloppy game while were playing near perfect game to pull off upset. 

• 4 weeks later...

SDSU  the way they have shot ball in Frost   pretty much going to be a blow out. Johnson also taking advantage against top contenders in last three games by burying them at home to shake confidence of these teams that they can play with them when they get home.  They shot 60% against Usd  for the game and had 60 plus in second quarter and then third qtr shot 70 plus. This was pretty much what they did against us. I see USD board they are complaining about defense  but with sdsu size and then when they are shooting the 3 at 60%  this is going to happen and they are playing 9 deep and little fall off with their players. I think Bernard after seeing this we have seen change in our rotations we are seeing us now play our younger players more. I believe this is only way we will have chance getting to upper tier in the conference it gives us different looks and gets longer to compete against some these teams in conference.  This coming week games are going to be critical in winning if we want to finish top 3 in the conference. Both of these teams are long  and will be critical to control boards. If we win here would have good chance bettering our last years record.