SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League WBB

The only way possible for two from the conference would be if somebody upset SDSU and somebody else gets automatic birth. Which I don’t see likely and it would result in low seating hurting chances to get very far in the tournament. My hope is  other teams get invites to wnit and wcbi tournaments would help in recognition and recruiting talent.

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They will, if they can avoid the injury bug.

The Summit is only going to get 1 team this year. 

Yup.  Just like last season too but one could very well argue SDSU should have made NCAA along with USD.  Actually, I think SDSU last season was a better 2nd place team (conference) than USD is this season 

52 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Yup.  Just like last season too but one could very well argue SDSU should have made NCAA along with USD.  Actually, I think SDSU last season was a better 2nd place team (conference) than USD is this season 

I would agree with that take.

To me:  This is where the league as a whole needs to take the next step: getting to be a consistent multi-bid league.  Where almost every year they are getting 2 teams in.  That's more than just SDSU and USD doing their thing.  The whole conference needs to keep making steps forward... and I believe they can and will do that. 

I had idea but i may be way off in my thinking to help move the conference up in standings and i would think number of other mid-major conferences and even some major conferences could be open to this that halfway mark of conference season play couple of non-conference games.  Because once you start conference season it's pretty hard to move very far in the net rankings when you are playing conference teams in some cases your net rankings can even go down if you're winning. Also, if your conference would have success in these later season games could pull all teams up in their net rankings. The way it is now if your young team which most mid-major teams are you have poor preseason you have zero chance in play in post season tournament. This would be way to determine how much each conference has made from the beginning of the year. Instead of conferences and teams are rated by past year results or early season results. I may be way off here but as it stands now there is not much reward for improvement during the season unless you can win the conference tournament at end of the season. This something i have been thinking about for some time and would put the conference season into two seasons letting teams have break in conference season and then have that final push to win the conference or improve their chances play post season.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Yeah, I don't think that is a very controversial take.  State probably would have gotten in last year, had they not had some early struggles in the non-con that wrecked their NET ranking.  The controversial part is where you are calling USD a 2nd place team this year.   SMH

I appreciate the gesture, but this USD squad has been too inconsistent to be favored to finish 3rd, let alone 2nd.  We could plausibly  finish 4th or lower, depending on how this team develops or doesn't (or if we have any more injuries).  I'm hopeful they will figure it out by the end of the season, but right now I'd be very happy with a 3-seed.

This year is strange.  During the non-con season It looked like the conference outside of SDSU, NDSU, UND and UST was significantly weaker than last year.  Like REALLY bad.  But since the conference season started, USD, ORU and WIU have looked dominant in individual games (all very streaky/inconsistent), and Omaha has looked much better recently too. 

Is it an illusion based on bad teams playing each other?  Or are these teams coming together and figuring it out?  Who frickin' knows...

34 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Yeah, I don't think that is a very controversial take.  State probably would have gotten in last year, had they not had some early struggles in the non-con that wrecked their NET ranking.  The controversial part is where you are calling USD a 2nd place team this year.   SMH

I appreciate the gesture, but this USD squad has been too inconsistent to be favored to finish 3rd, let alone 2nd.  We could plausibly  finish 4th or lower, depending on how this team develops or doesn't (or if we have any more injuries).  I'm hopeful they will figure it out by the end of the season, but right now I'd be very happy with a 3-seed.

This year is strange.  During the non-con season It looked like the conference outside of SDSU, NDSU, UND and UST was significantly weaker than last year.  Like REALLY bad.  But since the conference season started, USD, ORU and WIU have looked dominant in individual games (all very streaky/inconsistent), and Omaha has looked much better recently too. 

Is it an illusion based on bad teams playing each other?  Or are these teams coming together and figuring it out?  Who frickin' knows...

I think Omaha is improved and quite honestly should be 5-2 right now (UND got lucky).  They might not finish .500 in conference but they aren't the doormat this year.

I think WIU is streaky.  They are dangerous when they are on (see 2nd quarter ORU) but if they are stuggling it looks ugly (see 2nd quarter UND).  They will still give team fits.

Until UND can beat USD... assume you get the 3. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, kiyoat said:

You’re right, USD is by no means a 2nd place team  in the conference this season. My, how they have slipped. 

Yeah, it's pretty bad right now for the Yotes.  If there is any saving grace it would be the parity in the conference (outside of the Jacks) is giving most teams an opportunity to climb the ladder in the last 3 or 4 games.  Just depends who is playing the best right now.

UND has a great final 4 games, (ORU, KC, UST, WIU).  I could see you going anywhere from 4-0 to 1-3, with the most likely 3-1, losing to ORU.  No chance of getting beat by KC.  I think you have a good shot at #2 or #3, but could fall to #4 also.

USD's schedule is similar, but a little tougher with Omaha, Denver, ORU and KC.  I think we could go 3-1 or 2-2, and likely end up at the #4 or #5 seed.  Not great, but that's what we were in 2017 in Dawn's first year, too.

At least the final two weeks will have meaningful games. *shrug*

1 hour ago, kiyoat said:

Yeah, it's pretty bad right now for the Yotes.  If there is any saving grace it would be the parity in the conference (outside of the Jacks) is giving most teams an opportunity to climb the ladder in the last 3 or 4 games.  Just depends who is playing the best right now.

UND has a great final 4 games, (ORU, KC, UST, WIU).  I could see you going anywhere from 4-0 to 1-3, with the most likely 3-1, losing to ORU.  No chance of getting beat by KC.  I think you have a good shot at #2 or #3, but could fall to #4 also.

USD's schedule is similar, but a little tougher with Omaha, Denver, ORU and KC.  I think we could go 3-1 or 2-2, and likely end up at the #4 or #5 seed.  Not great, but that's what we were in 2017 in Dawn's first year, too.

At least the final two weeks will have meaningful games. *shrug*

Just fun for me that we are in the hunt -playing games that matter late in the season - seeing improvement in the program and being optimistic we are going in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Denver beats South Dakota today which I think is good for us

Yes, this basically means that UND will either be the 2 seed or 3 seed in SF.  Only USD or ORU can tie UND and it would take several things to happen in order for one of those team to pass them. (USD and ORU play each other next week). 

Now... can UND sweep the road trip and NDSU stub their toes?  Unless Denver can find a way to finish ahead of USD in the standings (if UND and NDSU tie and THAT happens, that is how UND can win the tiebreaker), that is the only way UND can get the two.

And yes... there is a HUGE difference between 2 and 3 seed. 

On 2/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

there is a HUGE difference between 2 and 3 seed.

Because the #2 seed's opponent plays the day before?  Is there also a potential for #2 to play #10, or in the event #10 beats #7, does #10 play #1?  Any other reasons that I'm not thinking of?

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Because the #2 seed's opponent plays the day before?  Is there also a potential for #2 to play #10, or in the event #10 beats #7, does #10 play #1?  Any other reasons that I'm not thinking of?

2 seed gets to rest Sunday.  Easier to play 3 games in 4 days than 3 games in 3 days.

Post-season (if SDSU wins the tournament as expected, 2 seed gets WNIT bid)

• Upvote 1

I have been looking at standings there are so many different out comes that can occur after this last weekend it going to be hard to figure out where everyone settles. Like if USD would loose two this coming weekend they would end with record of 8-10 which could end in three way tie with Denver and Omaha or they could end up behind Denver something that could effect UND and NDSU standings. That is not mention what could happen to both UND and NDSU on how they play this weekend so the out comes are to many to worry about all we can do is work on getting sweep this week and let chips fall after that. I think if we win out this weekend would have real good chance to get second place and if bot we get third place. I sure hope we get second place because would guarantee us place WNIT. What ever just win and see what we can do. 

7 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I sure hope we get second place because would guarantee us place WNIT.

Good point.  I had forgotten about this automatic qualifier. Would be good for the program, for sure.  Plus, those are played at home sites, so there's a chance we could host, correct?

• 2 weeks later...