SiouxSports.com Forum

New York Times has a big sob story on UND dropping womens hockey

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The twins are a bunch of traitors in my mind for playing for the gophers. I don't care if they changed their minds. I have lost all respect for them. I couldn't name anyone who misses women's hockey or even knew it existed.

exactly and only coming back after they back doored the previous coach

To some this decision was a huge blow. To current players, past players and future players who’s goal was to play for UND. Not including staff, fans, other programs. Just because it didn’t effect you or anyone you know doesn’t mean it wasnt heart-breaking to a group of others. To so easily dismiss their emotions about the situation is grossly insensitive and thoughtless. If there are people who still get angry every time it is brought up (and didn’t care about women’s hockey) then why would it be a surprise that there are people who are still saddened by the decision whose life it did effect. 

29 minutes ago, Gully73 said:

To some this decision was a huge blow. To current players, past players and future players who’s goal was to play for UND. Not including staff, fans, other programs. Just because it didn’t effect you or anyone you know doesn’t mean it wasnt heart-breaking to a group of others. To so easily dismiss their emotions about the situation is grossly insensitive and thoughtless. If there are people who still get angry every time it is brought up (and didn’t care about women’s hockey) then why would it be a surprise that there are people who are still saddened by the decision whose life it did effect. 

One could say this about something of substantially more value to the university as whole that affected many more individuals that was stripped away..............but we can continue the pity party for a sport that was a complete financial abyss to the athletic department.

I've got tissues for everyone.

So the “value to the university” like the 3rd NY Times article about the UND women’s hockey program.  Not even our “historic” year last year made the cut. Or the number of times UND will be mentioned during the winter Olympics (I know, I know, Olympian’s,  Sholympians...). And I would probably be careful what you say about “financial abyss” athletic programs....

9 minutes ago, Gully73 said:

So the “value to the university” like the 3rd NY Times article about the UND women’s hockey program.  Not even our “historic” year last year made the cut. Or the number of times UND will be mentioned during the winter Olympics (I know, I know, Olympian’s,  Sholympians...). And I would probably be careful what you say about “financial abyss” athletic programs....

:lol:   Tell us more......

9 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

You mean all of those fans that consistently forgot to show up for games? I'm not picking on you as I want to shed some light on the convenient backlash that followed this smart business move. This program was a money pit that had very little support. Then it gets cut and all of a sudden all of these "fans" are offended. How convenient.

Grand Forks is not a high wage city. It looks like Fargo people didn't drive up for women's hockey. 

Grand Forks needs a growth faze the kind  Bismarck and Fargo are going thru. 

4 hours ago, Gully73 said:

What was the playoff series attendance again for the last women’s hockey series? 

11 hours ago, Gully73 said:

To some this decision was a huge blow. ... Just because it didn’t effect you or anyone you know doesn’t mean it wasnt heart-breaking to a group of others. To so easily dismiss their emotions about the situation is grossly insensitive and thoughtless. If there are people who still get angry every time it is brought up ... then why would it be a surprise that there are people who are still saddened by the decision whose life it did effect. 

The music therapy department feels your pain. 

34 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So because grand forks isn't a high wage city, people couldn't afford to go to the free admission women's hockey games?

makes sense.  

They did have $1 admission for pack the Ralph night, too bad they couldn’t fill it half full. 

46 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So because grand forks isn't a high wage city, people couldn't afford to go to the free admission women's hockey games?

makes sense.  

"Tickets free..........dinner extra"

<shaking maracas>

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The twins are a bunch of traitors in my mind for playing for the gophers. I don't care if they changed their minds. I have lost all respect for them. I couldn't name anyone who misses women's hockey or even knew it existed.

Hey, I would love to have the women's hockey program around still because I went to games occasionally, but I don't want it around because of the expense it created.  What they started out paying Brian Idalski was ridiculous, considering what other coaches were being paid.  

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

makes sense.  

This thread is about  how the NY Times and there liberal so there not credible. The past 20 years the conservatives on this board have bought every made up excuse they've been given by the state.. They want to take UND back to D2. 

But your right people did not go the the games .

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Hey, I would love to have the women's hockey program around still because I went to games occasionally, but I don't want it around because of the expense it created.  What they started out paying Brian Idalski was ridiculous, considering what other coaches were being paid.  

The elephant in the room,  did Idalski bring the cut?   Why did the program bleed so much green?  Maybe home grown players (except the darling twins) would not have been hardware producers, but interest wise would it have helped?  It was stated on here a while back, that Britta Curl was told by Idalski that the only way she would play for UND is to take her talents out of state.   That to me (if true) is a huge sign, that he had his head in the clouds...

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

The elephant in the room,  did Idalski bring the cut?   Why did the program bleed so much green?  Maybe home grown players (except the darling twins) would not have been hardware producers, but interest wise would it have helped?  It was stated on here a while back, that Britta Curl was told by Idalski that the only way she would play for UND is to take her talents out of state.   That to me (if true) is a huge sign, that he had his head in the clouds...

Very true. He told my daughter and myself the same thing. Bill Curl also told me in no way was his daughter going to play for him anyways. My same sentiments. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Maybe home grown players (except the darling twins) would not have been hardware producers, but interest wise would it have helped? 

Correct me if I’m wrong but none of the UND Women’s hockey teams won any hardware; homegrown  talent or otherwise.

I held a sliver of hope my daughter could play there, but knew the odds were slim.  I have mentally balanced in my head whether either of my kids had the choice of student at UND or D1 (or less) elsewhere, what would they do.  To me being an alumni, a Fighting Sioux, is a big thing.  I don't think they share the sentiment....   yet.

We're a hockey school.  We should have kept the women's hockey program.  You are what you is. 

Dropping the program may have been a financially sound decision, but the fallout over the decision is understandable.  Using cheap political posturing on either side is ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, moser53 said:

Grand Forks is not a high wage city. It looks like Fargo people didn't drive up for women's hockey. 

Grand Forks needs a growth faze the kind  Bismarck and Fargo are going thru. 

Guess Fargo and Bismarck have so many sophiscated people that they would outdraw teams in NWPL cities like New York and Boston that have trouble drawing even 1000 fans a game to tiny rinks.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nwhl-hockey-slash-salaries-1.3857931

Put your mony where you mouth is and invest in a Fargo NWHL team.  Fargo would hit the big time finally.