SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. St Lawrence - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

25 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Keep the lines the same. Give them some time to figure it out.

I couldn't watch the game last night due to some drama with my NCHC TV subscription. It sounded like they were switching lines up all game according to the radio. 

Curious if anyone noticed this also?

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You mean like BU's "Diaper Dandies" last year? The ones that have already left for the NHL or Major Juniors? I don't know if The John Calipari Method necessarily works in hockey.

It is too soon to judge this team. If they still are struggling to get pucks to the net around Christmas time, then I will start being concerned.

I said "some studs". I am not pushing for a BU approach, but think about what Boesser added to our championship team.  How would they have done without him?  We need some guys who can put the puck in the net.  Lots of other teams brought in some, not just BU.  

12 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I couldn't watch the game last night due to some drama with my NCHC TV subscription. It sounded like they were switching lines up all game according to the radio. 

They could have been.  Kawaguchi looked iffy again.  But he's super good so they need to give him some time to find his game.

they desperately need to figure out some structure on their PP before next weekend.

27 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yes, lines were juggled, primarily in the third period

4 hours ago, shep said:

Really dull team right now. Jones plays hard; fast and intense on each shift. Thought Wolanin showed a presence on D. Cam was solid. Adams in spots was good.

Can't believe Olson and his "pulling a plow" skating is playing. NO Gardner or much from Gersich though.

REFS had a mediocre night. Both ways as in I thought they called things on us they shouldn't have and could have called a couple they missed, but also missed one or two on St L. But the BIG thing is the linesman and the face off. This is happening in every Blackhawk game I've watched too. It's like the guy with the puck figures it's his time to shine and dammit he's going to show everyone who's boss. In the NHL, they dick around so much on FO's that one game last week, I bet they kicked out a player in 75% of all FO's. 

We don't watch games for the Refs/Linesmen.

I made a similar comment at the game last night, Drop the Puck.

I think Adams is an under the radar guy that is going to have a great career.  

I agree with Rhett, Pogo and Mismash...that is a nasty line.

I like Jones between Adams and Gersich...thats our speed line

After that we have parts, but I'm not sure how to assemble them.  Bowen and Hoff need to play in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I said "some studs". I am not pushing for a BU approach, but think about what Boesser added to our championship team.  How would they have done without him?  We need some guys who can put the puck in the net.  Lots of other teams brought in some, not just BU.  

I just think you are pushing the panic button way too early. It isn't March, it's October. I learned a long time ago, with some difficulty, that judging a team based on what happens the first couple of weeks of October is foolhardy. I am taking a one game at a time approach to this.

And we do have some highly-rated recruits coming in the next couple of seasons. Unless those Major Junior parasites latch onto them before they can get to campus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

And there are always those guys that come in unheralded and end up being beasts on the ice (Drake Caggiula immediately comes to mind). So don't give up on finding some diamonds in the rough with this group.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And there are always those guys that come in unheralded and end up being beasts on the ice (Drake Caggiula immediately comes to mind). So don't give up on finding some diamonds in the rough with this group.

I'm not giving up at all and know we will be a much better team come March I still think that one or two proven goal scorers are needed for this team.  So far we have looked just slightly better than two of the below average teams in the country.  And that power play ...absolutely no excuse especially when it is year after year.  It's almost like they practice playing with the puck and teeing it up on the outside.  

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'm not giving up at all and know we will be a much better team come March I still think that one or two proven goal scorers are needed for this team.  So far we have looked just slightly better than two of the below average teams in the country.  And that power play ...absolutely no excuse especially when it is year after year.  It's almost like they practice playing with the puck and teeing it up on the outside.  

Power Play has been an issue for as long as I can remember. It doesn't seem to matter who we put out there, we are better even strength.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

They could have been.  Kawaguchi looked iffy again.  But he's super good so they need to give him some time to find his game.

they desperately need to figure out some structure on their PP before next weekend.

Yeah, the expectation that the chemistry and adjustment to the college level is going to be there right away is delusional.  There aren't many Brock Boeser type players that are impact players right from the start.  More often guys like Caggiula, Brock Nelson, and Gersich, who had to figure it out.  

• Upvote 2

made a powerplay post in the Saturday gameday thread

Regarding impactful freshies...we've been spoiled:  Parise, Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Zajac, Boeser...that's a lot to expect...those 6 are among the 300 best players in the world

Toews is one of the 100 greatest players of ALL-TIME...just think about that

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I thought Kawaguchi would have a real nice game last night playing with Gersich but he really struggled. Really didn't notice him on the ice much if at all in the 3rd last night.