SiouxSports.com Forum

Did We Get Lucky Against The Yotes Last Year?

geaux_sioux

Did we get lucky against the Yotes last year?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Were we the recipient of gifts last season from the Yotes? Was our win due to luck or making the necessary plays?

• We won as a result of luck and gifts from the generous Mr. Streveler.
    • We won as a result of making plays when we needed to.

I've found the USD fans' remarks regarding last year interesting as well, saying they dominated the game.  USD had its way for about 12 minutes of that game (the last 6 minutes of the first half and the first 6 minutes of the second half).  In the end, they had 12 more yards than UND, both teams had 2 turnovers, UND had 3 minutes more TOP, and UND won on the scoreboard.

I think anytime you are up by a decent amount in the second half and lose you are going to feel like you blew it so I can see why the feel that way.  I'd say it's a bit of both, we certainly made some plays...but I'm sure they look at a few things they could have done differently.  Just like our game against Richmond, we feel we pissed that game down our leg.....but Richmond felt they won it.  Although I think that game was more of a pissing it down our leg with running into the kicker, getting a punt blocked etc..  But I'm sure if you ask Richmond they feel like it was them making plays.  If South Dakota thinks they are the superior team and just lost the game last year, let them think that and be over confident.  In the end what happened last year doesn't matter at this point........let's just get the W this weekend! 

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think anytime you are up by a decent amount in the second half and lose you are going to feel like you blew it so I can see why the feel that way.  I'd say it's a bit of both, we certainly made some plays...but I'm sure they look at a few things they could have done differently.  Just like our game against Richmond, we feel we pissed that game down our leg.....but Richmond felt they won it.  Although I think that game was more of a pissing it down our leg with running into the kicker, getting a punt blocked etc..  But I'm sure if you ask Richmond they feel like it was them making plays.  If South Dakota thinks they are the superior team and just lost the game last year, let them think that and be over confident.  In the end what happened last year doesn't matter at this point........let's just get the W this weekend! 

Richmond's only luck was that we ran into their punter. They earned everything else.

19 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I just got done reading that whole thread. They are forgetting UND led the nation in INTs last season. They also think the crowd is going to be a huge factor. I think they'll be surprised how much green they will see. Also, it's amazing how confident they are just based on the fact they play in the MVFC. 

How many UND fans will be there? 500 or so? Not a very big venue. 

I get why USD fans feel they gave the game away, two pick 6's will do that; but those interceptions, and returns were a result of the CB reading the plays and jumping the route. That is call making a play, unless Streveler walked over to the defense and told him ahead of time when and where he would be throwing. Maybe they were ill-advised passes, but the are ill-advised plays that happen all game, capitalizing on those plays doesn't mean they were handed to you.

Aside from the 2 INTs, there were plenty of other plays that had to be made throughout the game on both sides of the ball. Did we gift them a TD, because Hunt tried for an INT rather than smacking a ball down. Did we gift them a TD, because of a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that extended their drive? Didn't Santiago rip a ridiculous run in OT?

There are so many factors in those games that contribute to the final outcome, that I think it is asinine to think the game was gifted. UND played like crap the first half and then decided to start playing. There were good plays on both sides, and bad plays on both sides. Teams capitalized when they needed, which is what made it a fun and exciting game.

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

I just got done reading that whole thread. They are forgetting UND led the nation in INTs last season. They also think the crowd is going to be a huge factor. I think they'll be surprised how much green they will see. Also, it's amazing how confident they are just based on the fact they play in the MVFC. 

I just got done reading our game thread with SD Last year

Buy the way how things can change? I took part of a few following excerpts from the 1st 4 pages of a 17 page thread of last year: Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm. Here it goes:

crowd is pathetic. No one standing on defense
In Bubba We Trust
Not a good FB team right now.
Looking like a Mussman coached team
leavenodoubt looks like it might be taking on a whole different meaning
Hockey is 2 week away
TROLL: I was told.... UND is a really good football team.
best 0-3 team in FCS if this stands.
I'll have a bunch more arm and leg room the next home game.
Nearly full house despite a 0-2 record.  Garbage on the field
Offense play calling is absolutely brutal.  They could go 0-11
last game with a good crowd this year
Up gut play one up gut play two pass play three SD hasn't figured it out
The Fighting Hawks logo is jinxed!
Well we are leaving
let's just do the Omaha route.  Put $ into Basketball/Hockey. 
Neon Deon Harris AGAIN!
Wow........tied. Unbelievable.
Santiago...TD in OT
These two teams have the craziest games...
FG USD. 44-41.
Win #1 in teh books 
under review 
TROLL: Xmas came early in Grand Forks
Play reversed.
QB sneak.....3rd down coming
Finally omg
I can taste the salt
.. under review.
It was a horrendous  showing 
Same old USD.
Wow, the Football program just came alive!!
Ugliest game thread ever for a win.

Since we are playing what ifs........

Labatt was rushing hard off the edge, got his jersey ripped off his shoulder, and USD throws a TD pass on the play.  Should of been a sack or a hold.  Seemingly the game should of never went to OT, then, we would of beat them in regulation. 

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

UND lead the nation in gifts.  :p

UNDs cb/s  that had the pick 6s ( you know.....the two all Americans ) were playing as though they were all Americans and made the plays.  That's not lucky.. they played like that all season.  

But if their fans (some of them) want to think it's a gift well then I just watched the usd bgsu highlights.....looks like usd was given some gifts from bgsu.....fumble and int.  Fumbles count as a gift....right!?  :silly: