SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

SiouxVolley

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Great average attendance means something special for recruiting.  That's part of the reason that non-P5 schools like Creighton, Wichita St and UNI can challenge Big10 and Big 12 schools

Yup. Now if we can just keep most of those fans coming back. We have had good average attendance but it can be better as evidenced by tonight.

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

One note that I will make from a program standpoint, UND has been spoiled for the past several years with great setter play.  First from Nikki, then from Syd.  

Absolutely.  Two setters in 7 seasons is rare.  That would like having two starting QBs in 7 seasons.  It takes out a huge X-factor when you know what you're getting from your setter.

8 hours ago, Stromer said:

Yup. Now if we can just keep most of those fans coming back. We have had good average attendance but it can be better as evidenced by tonight.

I've been a season ticket holder for volleyball for 5-6 years, and attended several games in the Hardee years as well.  The crowd was actually pretty docile given its size.  It kind of felt like the first year at the Ralph - people were there just to be there (albeit with many good reasons), and weren't necessarily in tune with what was going on.  I've seen a normal size VB crowd (~1,100) provide more clapping, cheering, etc.  With all that being said, it would be good to get some more fans to come back often and get them literate on volleyball.  This was the perfect opportunity to get them interested, and the team capitalized on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've been a season ticket holder for volleyball for 5-6 years, and attended several games in the Hardee years as well.  The crowd was actually pretty docile given its size.  It kind of felt like the first year at the Ralph - people were there just to be there (albeit with many good reasons), and weren't necessarily in tune with what was going on.  I've seen a normal size VB crowd (~1,100) provide more clapping, cheering, etc.  With all that being said, it would be good to get some more fans to come back often and get them literate on volleyball.  This was the perfect opportunity to get them interested, and the team capitalized on it.

I think part of that is because the game wasn't all that close. Had it been more competitive, maybe we would have seen more enthusiasm from the crowd

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hardcore Hawk said:

I think part of that is because the game wasn't all that close. Had it been more competitive, maybe we would have seen more enthusiasm from the crowd

That's true.  It didn't require a whole lot of action on the part of the crowd.

22 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

This....^^^^.

NDSU is/was absolutely terrible. 

I enjoyed the demeanor of the handful of high-up NDSU athletic department folks who were standing in the SE corner of the BESC. They did not appear to be enjoying themselves. I do want to point out that Matt Larsen wasn't in that group, he was behind the north bench. Saw him in the ticket line, he looked to be impressed with the turnout. Seems like a very nice guy.

3 hours ago, sprig said:

Large student presence as well as they filled the bleachers at both ends. Also football at one end, bb at the other. 

There were a lot of students, after the game they were walking back spread out over most of campus, kind of neat to see.

On the way in I noticed that they had tickets that looked just like the ones I purchased (Champions Club didn't include this game).

I remember when I was in Cawledge, for popular hockey games we would get student tickets standing in at the student union. They were like just paper tickets from construction paper, usually red or green, run off a copy machine and then cut.

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I would rather they pack the betty to the rafters than have it at the REA or any other venue. 

I remember when they built The Betty and the talk about so little seating room, that still bugs me. We had some pretty weak fan support in those days. Today was bound to show up when the teams would be great. When I was in college the U had half the student population and the BB games had huge turnouts for the big games and respectable for the rest. Sure we can move the Big games out of The Betty, but that isn't the same as one Home Base.

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I remember when they built The Betty and the talk about so little seating room, that still bugs me. We had some pretty weak fan support in those days. Today was bound to show up when the teams would be great. When I was in college the U had half the student population and the BB games had huge turnouts for the big games and respectable for the rest. Sure we can move the Big games out of The Betty, but that isn't the same as one Home Base.

Seems like you try and upgrade as you build new, (Alerus, REA) but I believe basketball downgraded in seats compared to the Hyslop (not sure how many seats the Hyslop held). At least there are two other options for buildings if we need bigger venues for volleyball/basketball so I guess it is a nice problem to have. 

Hyslop; just from memory in college days: Like 5,000 with the large bleachers on the ends. The lower sides would fold up against the upper deck. The end bleachers would have to be taken apart.  The maple floor was even taken up for certain events. I don't remember the side bleachers ever folded up for a basketball game, but for some low profile games they never set up the end bleachers. They even had smaller end bleachers that were set up sometimes, never could figure that one out? They also sold standing room tickets and let all students in. Just showed you student ID and walked in. Some of the big games had so many fans standing in the corners on the floor many people deep that some surely couldn't see the game. Couple times students were standing behind highest seats in the upper deck. As far as I know, they didn't refuse a student.  Who ever figured out crowd attendance only had a record of tickets sold, and not how many of them showed, no electronic scanner or manual ball and strike clicker at the door.  Attendance # = human visual scan = guesstimate = then watered down #. When the figures would show up for attendance, we would laugh at how they were low and that for some reason they were intentionally not counting all the students. 

I'll add at some games they even let a single row of people (up and Down) sit in the stairways.

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Hyslop; just from memory in college days: Like 5,000 with the large bleachers on the ends. The lower sides would fold up against the upper deck. The end bleachers would have to be taken apart.  The maple floor was even taken up for certain events. I don't remember the side bleachers ever folded up for a basketball game, but for some low profile games they never set up the end bleachers. They even had smaller end bleachers that were set up sometimes, never could figure that one out? They also sold standing room tickets and let all students in. Just showed you student ID and walked in. Some of the big games had so many fans standing in the corners on the floor many people deep that some surely couldn't see the game. Couple times students were standing behind highest seats in the upper deck. As far as I know, they didn't refuse a student.  Who ever figured out crowd attendance only had a record of tickets sold, and not how many of them showed, no electronic scanner or manual ball and strike clicker at the door.  Attendance # = human visual scan = guesstimate = then watered down #. When the figures would show up for attendance, we would laugh at how they were low and that for some reason they were intentionally not counting all the students. 

The most I saw packed and the loudest at the Hyslop was the DII National Title game me and a buddy were towards the top and it was deafening. 

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

The most I saw packed and the loudest at the Hyslop was the DII National Title game me and a buddy were towards the top and it was deafening. 

Those MBB Regionals to go to the Elite 8 back in the early 90's were pretty packed.  Not to mention Bison games for both MBB and WBB.  

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I was there during the early Gunther years and we would pack the Hyslop - what a great home "pit" to play in.