SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais is retiring

Old Barn Guy at Home

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Not sure if this is true but Quinn on the Mavpuck message board is saying that Omaha is so broke that they can't go on recruiting trips. If that s true then Alberts should have been fired a long time ago.

I read somewhere that they asked him to retire do to the budget. 

Hi folks -- yes I work for the university system and we are so broke that they won't pick up our trash -- we now have to empty it ourselves.

there is also a travel ban in effect, so no travel for anyone.

I will be at the target center this weekend in my UNO gear, so if you see me say hi!

also have an extra ticket if anyone needs it.  going to be a solo act this year.  -- hopefully I can score off craigslist :-)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Hi folks -- yes I work for the university system and we are so broke that they won't pick up our trash -- we now have to empty it ourselves.

I will be at the target center this weekend in my UNO gear, so if you see me say hi!

also have an extra ticket if anyone needs it.  going to be a solo act this year.  -- hopefully I can score off craigslist :-)

You did say months ago he would be retiring or "forced to retire."

If Omaha want's to make money again might have to bring back football and wrestling.

12 minutes ago, Quinn said:

Join us at The Hogg on Saturday morning!

2 hours ago, Quinn said:

It is apparent that Trev Alberts only cares about UN-Lincoln and UN-Omaha can just wither on the vine and die. Sad, very sad indeed. :(:angry:

Good luck to you and your fellow UNO fans in finding a top-notch coach to run your program.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Dean is a class act, great guy, and #LEGEND as a coach.  I have had the opportunity to talk to him a few times, and he was always willing to offer a smile and a good time.   He is one of the great ones in the game and a difference maker in NCAA hockey.  In the list of people that UND hockey owes gratitude, I think Dean and Ralph top the list.  His teams were incredible to watch, he recruited better than anyone, and he represented the program with great dignity.  Can we get him to consult for us?  Put him on some kind of retainer?

This is what I'm hoping for also.

It is really nice to read how many people on here have walked up to such a busy man and he makes time to chat, and in my case have a drink and also take some pictures. He did tell us he would "love to finish his hockey career back at ND in some way" I personally think that would be awesome!

Cheers coach Blais!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Loved having him at UND.  Loved having him in Fargo (launched the Fargo Force, if you recall). 

But, I'll now be glad to see more UND legacy players start going to UND instead of UNO - the Zombos and Morellis of the world ;)

This could open the door for Dixon Ward's son Taylor to decommit from UNO and end up on the UND blue line. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, southpaw said:

This could open the door for Dixon Ward's son Taylor to decommit from UNO and end up on the UND blue line. 

I think he is a forward, and would rather see Tyler Ward  (no relation) change his mind from Denver based on how well he seems to be producing.  Leading the BCHL playoffs in goal scoring and points per game and he is a 99.  

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So I saw Dean after Friday's game with his wife and someone said congrats on his retirement. He made a comment back along the lines of if you say so or he wouldn't say so. Was he forced out?

That's the thought, especially in Omaha.