SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

There's a chance EWU loses Harvey. I guess he graduates in the spring and will be able to transfer and play immediately if he wants.

They could end up losing their best player in football and basketball within a few months of each other?  Ouch!

Every message board has its share of crackpots, but I actually think the general sentiment of this board is probably pretty indicative of the public's opinion on the job Jones has done. Just like it was regarding the job his predecessor did. Even Tom Miller labeled Jones' body of work as "mediocre" in the Herald's live chat yesterday. 

I'm not questioning that there is dissatisfaction with the BB season this year - actually both seasons but I also have to say that any individuals opinion about "public sentiment" is purely conjecture - of course if you did an actual poll that would be quantatative and I'm sure with the bad taste of both seasons fresh the results would not be positive - I highly doubt the majority of "public opinion" would say the coach(es) need to be fired. Even on this board it's not the "general sentiment". 

I'm not questioning that there is dissatisfaction with the BB season this year - actually both seasons but I also have to say that any individuals opinion about "public sentiment" is purely conjecture - of course if you did an actual poll that would be quantatative and I'm sure with the bad taste of both seasons fresh the results would not be positive - I highly doubt the majority of "public opinion" would say the coach(es) need to be fired. Even on this board it's not the "general sentiment". 

They don't need a poll, the attendance shows it better (see UND football).

Geez - go back a few hundred pages the discussion on attendance - based on schedule, Tuesday/Thursday night games, loss of double headers, regional rivalrys, etc - has been hashed and rehashed attendance has been consistent. I do realize it could be better but the reality is when you are getting 12,000 people Friday/Sturday over at the Ralph that tells you what sport is and always will be more popular. Duke/North Carolina etc are all experiencing a downward trend in attendance - I suppose that is a reflection on the coaching? 

" A Chronicle of Higher Education analysis published in March found that about one in five programs has seen attendance drops of 20 percent or more over the past four seasons."

You are certainly free to your opinion. I just think it's a bit ironic that if one were to have the opinion that Brian Jones should not be fired based upon his entire body of work, it should probably logically follow that one should also think Rich Glas should not have been forced out based upon his entire body of work. In which case, Brian Jones never would have gotten the UND job in the first place.

My only opinion is that a lot of negative fan energy is wasted on this topic - the season(s) were a disappointment, the AD knows it. Now if you have no trust in the AD then that's a different topic. Is it okay for fans to express displeasure - yup everyone's allowed their opinion - what gets old here is being told you are a Jones Apologist, apethetic, don't care about winning, etc when you join in the discussion. I don't think the Fire Mussman Thread had any impact on his job - prove me wrong - but it did create a very negative thread for more than two seasons. 

Geez - go back a few hundred pages the discussion on attendance - based on schedule, Tuesday/Thursday night games, loss of double headers, regional rivalrys, etc - has been hashed and rehashed attendance has been consistent. I do realize it could be better but the reality is when you are getting 12,000 people Friday/Sturday over at the Ralph that tells you what sport is and always will be more popular. Duke/North Carolina etc are all experiencing a downward trend in attendance - I suppose that is a reflection on the coaching? 

" A Chronicle of Higher Education analysis published in March found that about one in five programs has seen attendance drops of 20 percent or more over the past four seasons."

Just look how attendance of football have changed before Muss took over and throughout his coaching career. Jones has hit the bottom, and if he cannot get UND into a position to be a winner consistently the attendance numbers will reflect that. Take away the NDSU game at the REA and he hasn't hit a 2000 average since Jones' coaching debut. Why do you think that is? 

My only opinion is that a lot of negative fan energy is wasted on this topic - the season(s) were a disappointment, the AD knows it. Now if you have no trust in the AD then that's a different topic. Is it okay for fans to express displeasure - yup everyone's allowed their opinion - what gets old here is being told you are a Jones Apologist, apethetic, don't care about winning, etc when you join in the discussion. I don't think the Fire Mussman Thread had any impact on his job - prove me wrong - but it did create a very negative thread for more than two seasons. 

Then shut down message boards alltogether. It was invented for a fan or non-fan to vent about anything. If you or anyone else don't like the threads or anything posted in it, then don't read it. You are not forced to read anything on this board.  And these threads were created because other fans were bitching about Muss and Jones in game threads. Okay fine, I won't create any more Fire XXXX threads, we will just let the game threads get clogged up by people calling for coaches heads next to how XXXX got 20 pts and 5 rebounds.

The first line of this thread:   Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I added this thread so it doesn't clog up game threads.

The first line of the Fire Muss thread was a question:

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

After this embarrassment against Idaho when should he get the axe or do we keep him?
  • Upvote 1

Constant negativity does get old. But so does pretending there's nothing wrong. And no, I don't particularly trust Brian Faison to do what needs to be done. In retrospect, I'm pretty surprised he actually pulled the plug on Mussman when he did.

• Upvote 2

Constant negativity does get old. But so does pretending there's nothing wrong. And no, I don't particularly trust Brian Faison to do what needs to be done. In retrospect, I'm pretty surprised he actually pulled the plug on Mussman when he did.

He only canned Muss thanks to some boosters knocking on his door with cash in hand.

How does the fanbase know that faison knows this season was a disappointment? According to some of the last statements jones has made publicly re: his team's performance this year he spout the exact opposite message and defended his team's play by saying they aren't getting blown out and have been competitive in all games but a few. I haven't seen anything from faison that disputes jone's words.

I agree that Jones's seat should be a little warm after this season. I understand losing a  bunch of seniors from last season but as a Coach who has been there for longer than 4 seasons it is also your responsibility for some continuity in the program. I know that a down year from the previous two years was expected and predicted but that doesn't mean it should be accepted. Next season we will find out if the 9 games(@SDSU-granted we got homered down the stretch but still should have been able to finish them off. Sacramento State-pissed it away. Northern Colorado-pissed it away and lost in OT. Weber State-pissed it away. Montana-had numerous opportunities to win this game at home. Montana State-pissed it away. Southern Utah-pissed it away. UNO-pissed it away. @Northern Colorado-choked away another one.) they either choked in or didn't show up for out of the gate is attributed to coaching or experience. If you want to blame experience or lack of it for letting 9 games slip away that is fine, but that excuse is gone next season.

My expectations for next season and I would hope they are the same as the Athletic Department. Must compete for the regular season title and at worst a final 4 finish in the conference tournament. anything less and after 10 years it would be time to move on.

I haven't been in the Fire Jones camp at all but that is where I am currently at. Just expect him to meet or exceed expectations.

• Upvote 3

How does the fanbase know that faison knows this season was a disappointment? According to some of the last statements jones has made publicly re: his team's performance this year he spout the exact opposite message and defended his team's play by saying they aren't getting blown out and have been competitive in all games but a few. I haven't seen anything from faison that disputes jone's words.

I would say this team with this talent and coaching staff was competitive and easily left 9 wins on the table but I am not so sure I would look at that as a positive.

Going into the NDSU game my friends in Fargo wanted me to give them points to bet that game.....think about that. And these are the same cocky rubes that will probably give me 35 points or more for the football game. I think I got points from them every year in football while UND was winning straight up every year.

Jones is definitely on the hot seat.  I would hope that BF has laid out the expectations for the team next year.  ANything less than a top 4 finish in the conference is just not acceptable.  If UND misses the Big Sky Tournament next year, I don't see how BF can legimitely show trust in Jones and not fire him.  Of course one would have to know what expectations he has of Jones and the MBB program.  If simply making it to the conference tournament in the benchmark for next season, that would be unfortunate. 

Never said people didn't have a right to create threads and post opinions - just shared MY OPINION that a "Fire coach" threads create a lot of negative energy - which is an opinion I have a right to share. There is plenty of thread drift in every thread and they are actually like a train wreck you have to look just to see what happened. I do agree with your point that it's better to keep it in one thread - but that isn't working because the same people create thread drift in many other threads. I think by now we know how the Coach Firers roll and who they are. Could we just start using numbers to rehash the same points - you could easily save a lot of time by just posting "See comment #1" everyday. 

Agree with your post, and your view of the negativity. No matter how you feel about Jones, it seems pretty clear by now that he'll be the HC again next year, and how this team does or does not progress in 2015-16 will determine his future. "Good job" to everyone who has conveyed their opinions to Faison via e-mail, but there's not been much new information or useful insight in many of the posts here; mostly a rehash of the same snarky, negative comments from the same posters, leaving this and most threads in the basketball forum practically unreadable.

• Upvote 2

The most puzzling thing about Faison was his eagerness to extend the contracts for the coaches from the Buning era that weren't even his guys!   I love what BF has done on the conference affiliation front with the Sky and NCHC, that's outstanding work.  But the way the coaching situations have been handled it almost smacks of laziness.  

Agree with your post, and your view of the negativity. No matter how you feel about Jones, it seems pretty clear by now that he'll be the HC again next year, and how this team does or does not progress in 2015-16 will determine his future. "Good job" to everyone who has conveyed their opinions to Faison via e-mail, but there's not been much new information or useful insight in many of the posts here; mostly a rehash of the same snarky, negative comments from the same posters, leaving this and most threads in the basketball forum practically unreadable.

I agree it gets rehashed a lot.  But really, what else is there to talk about?   Anyone that knows basketball realizes his teams will only go as far as their natural talent takes them.     Sounds like some promising players coming in...I suppose we could talk about that instead.  

Maybe someone can start a new thread about how these newcomers will become fantastic team players that only grow and mature as players under the expert tutelage of Jones, and how his expert decision making and in game adjustments will only help them succeed as they run his effective offenses, and dominant defenses. 

The most puzzling thing about Faison was his eagerness to extend the contracts for the coaches from the Buning era that weren't even his guys!   

I agree. Why extend when a coach has multiple years left on an existing contract? Clearly that benefits the coach, but how does it benefit the athletic department? If by chance the coach becomes successful, he can still leave for a higher-paying gig anyway. But if things go south, the a.d. either has to go solicit funds from donors to buy his way out of his mistake, or else he has to keep the coach around for a year or two longer than he otherwise would have. Unless the coach in question has been wildly successful over an extended period of time, or is on his first contract, I would prefer a contract never extend farther than about two years into the future. 

• Upvote 1

I agree. Why extend when a coach has multiple years left on an existing contract? Clearly that benefits the coach, but how does it benefit the athletic department? If by chance the coach becomes successful, he can still leave for a higher-paying gig anyway. But if things go south, the a.d. either has to go solicit funds from donors to buy his way out of his mistake, or else he has to keep the coach around for a year or two longer than he otherwise would have. Unless the coach in question has been wildly successful over an extended period of time, or is on his first contract, I would prefer a contract never extend farther than about two years into the future. 

Most college coaches have more than a 2 year contract.  Recruits, especially recruits with a lot of options, want to know that the coach is going to be there the whole time they are in school.  They want that continuity.  Most of them know that coaches can leave for a lot of different reasons, but they feel more comfortable if the coach has a contract for the length of time they will be in school.  Most college coaches seem to sign 5 year contracts when they get a job, and usually get an extension when they have 2 or 3 years left if they are having any success at all.  It is the way the game is played right now in college coaching, especially in basketball, football and hockey.

Most college coaches have more than a 2 year contract.  Recruits, especially recruits with a lot of options, want to know that the coach is going to be there the whole time they are in school.  They want that continuity.  Most of them know that coaches can leave for a lot of different reasons, but they feel more comfortable if the coach has a contract for the length of time they will be in school.  Most college coaches seem to sign 5 year contracts when they get a job, and usually get an extension when they have 2 or 3 years left if they are having any success at all.  It is the way the game is played right now in college coaching, especially in basketball, football and hockey.

Except for the entire state of South Dakota at minimum, correct?  1 year deals?

Are there other states that do that?

Yes, a lot of schools do that. And in many cases, the ability to raise the funds to buy out multiple years on a failed coach's contract is not difficult at all. I would say a rule of thumb might be: unless you're absolutely willing to bet your own job security on the ability of a coach, don't extend a contract beyond its initial term for any longer than you know you can raise the funds necessary to buy it out.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a summary of Jones' contracts:

May 25, 2006--initial contract. 

March 19, 2008--after a 15-15 season, extension to June 30, 2013. 

July 3, 2012--after a 17-14 season, extension to June 30, 2015. 

July 12, 2013--after a 16-17 season, extension to June 30, 2017.