SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Where's the high-end facility?  The Betty is nice, but its not a "high-end" facility.  Go ahead and shoot me down now!

The Betty needs some minor upgrades.  It is probably the 3rd best facility in the Big Sky.  Ask any player, they love it.

We are so spoiled regarding facilities that it is almost nauseating.

The Betty needs some minor upgrades. It is probably the 3rd best facility in the Big Sky. Ask any player, they love it.

We are so spoiled regarding facilities that it is almost nauseating.

Nice gym. Needs a scoreboard. Training facilities are subpar for sure. I think most players would tell you that as well. Gym has great possibilities though with a scoreboard.

Won't argue about about how good it is in BSC, again it is a nice facility.  "We" are not spoiled.  The athletes today are. There are upgrades needed tho!  Unfortunately that's the world we live in today.  I just wish they'd put some money into upgrading it and make it the best in the BSC and hopefully the upper midwest.( I know an easy solution, but the hockey people probably wouldn't like it.)

Nice gym. Needs a scoreboard. Training facilities are subpar for sure. I think most players would tell you that as well. Gym has great possibilities though with a scoreboard.

With all the home losses this season, we can go without a scoreboard.

Too tired from enjoying the weekend of hockey in Fargo so can Art or hoopster please list the myriad of excuses as to why this current dumpster fire known as UND MBB is acceptable in its current state.

I'll need a good chuckle before heading to work tomorrow.............

Too tired from enjoying the weekend of hockey in Fargo so can Art or hoopster please list the myriad of excuses as to why this current dumpster fire known as UND MBB is acceptable in its current state.

Haha. Not gonna bite on that one. You can spin back about 50 pages if you like. Sorry about the hockey game though.

Haha. Not gonna bite on that one. You can spin back about 50 pages if you like. Sorry about the hockey game though.

Sorry?

Win or lose...it is fun to watch a UND team that competes and plays hard.

See that about 3 or 4 times a year from a BJ's squad.

Nah, sorry you felt compelled to attend a hockey game.

Yah....as did 5300+ others...mostly UND fans...with probably another 5000+ that would have come had there been seats.

Just keep working on that scoreboard thing for the Betty if that is a possible solution for the MBB program.

Yah....as did 5300+ others...mostly UND fans...with probably another 5000+ that would have come had there been seats.

Just keep working on that scoreboard thing for the Betty if that is a possible solution for the MBB program.

Just trying to make you chuckle. Sounds like you got, gee, well, defensive? Not a hockey fan.

I'll bite...

First tho, congrats on being able to attend the game(s).  I'm sure it was a blast to be in that environment, enjoying the wins. Not a fan of hockey myself, but enjoyed watching the games with my father, especially the hits.  Love the physical play of UND.

Onto MBB in its current state...

This season is over so...It's a new season!  With new players; that are explosive, energetic, and work extremely hard. As well as a few that are "winners."

Unfortunately, last year's team finished near the bottom, where the consensus picked them to finish. It was not a fun trip to the bottom, watching the team struggle with few positives to enjoy.  Considering the title of the thread, maybe its unfortunate Coach is back. But there was little chance of him being fired, for reasons already listed.  Fortunately, some kids are gone, and we get to see Hooker after another year of progression. Hopefully, find out if Crandall is everything they say, and watch Seales come in and contribute right away.  With the guys that are here and coming in, it should be a turnaround season. And it should be successful.  If not, then I would certainly understand, even expect a change. (However, I question this administration's desire to have a top MBB program, but that can be discussed in another thread.)  I hope this helps turn your sights to the upcoming season.

If you are going to Boston, enjoy.  Either way, GO SIOUX!!!  or GO UND!!! whichever you prefer

• Upvote 1

So when you boil it all down, Jones' future is essentially dependent upon Hooker and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores who haven't proven themselves yet being roughly as good as a team next year as Huff, et al. were as juniors and seniors? Or maybe to be a bit more accurate, they don't necessarily have to be quite as good in terms of conference record (.600), but roughly as good in terms of overall record (.500)? And assuming .500 is good enough to save his job for another year (which I do not concede), does Jones get an extension if he approaches that, or would Faison simply let him come back for the final year of his contract and then reevaluate?

I'll bite...

First tho, congrats on being able to attend the game(s). I'm sure it was a blast to be in that environment, enjoying the wins. Not a fan of hockey myself, but enjoyed watching the games with my father, especially the hits. Love the physical play of UND.

Onto MBB in its current state...

This season is over so...It's a new season! With new players; that are explosive, energetic, and work extremely hard. As well as a few that are "winners."

Unfortunately, last year's team finished near the bottom, where the consensus picked them to finish. It was not a fun trip to the bottom, watching the team struggle with few positives to enjoy. Considering the title of the thread, maybe its unfortunate Coach is back. But there was little chance of him being fired, for reasons already listed. Fortunately, some kids are gone, and we get to see Hooker after another year of progression. Hopefully, find out if Crandall is everything they say, and watch Seales come in and contribute right away. With the guys that are here and coming in, it should be a turnaround season. And it should be successful. If not, then I would certainly understand, even expect a change. (However, I question this administration's desire to have a top MBB program, but that can be discussed in another thread.) I hope this helps turn your sights to the upcoming season.

If you are going to Boston, enjoy. Either way, GO SIOUX!!! or GO UND!!! whichever you prefer

Expecting too much out of Crandall. For those banking on his "big-time" contributions next season, then why wasn't he on the court this season? Especially when Shields -- who played very few minutes -- got his shirt pulled.

With de Rouen and Tyler departing, UND will heavily rely on Hooker and Seales next season, along with Shanks and Cashman. I don't see an above 0.500 season next year, unfortunately. The attrition of this year's roster, along with the 3 upper classmen last season who occupied roster spots but not minutes on the floor, are the unfortunate results of relying on transfers and not developing high school players. Jones needs to get much better at this, or else UND needs a new MBB leader who can recruit and develop.

I'm not defending Jones but we need to take players where ever they come from. We certainly want to build our programs with hs kids but we can't be picky. We will take some marginal kids but we better have a program in place for all of our athletes to help them academically and to adjust to the expectations of playing at this level at the same time maintaining grades and academic progress. Most D1 schools have the staff whose sole purpose is to mentor these kids socially and academically so we don't lose kids. For kids who may learn they don't have the talent, we help them get their degree and stay in school.

And assuming .500 is good enough to save his job for another year (which I do not concede), does Jones get an extension if he approaches that, or would Faison simply let him come back for the final year of his contract and then reevaluate?

This is my biggest fear.  Jones has conditioned the administration to have such low expectations for this program that I fear an overall record that simply approaches .500 next season is going to satisfy the AD.  We have already seen that a slightly above .500 season earns a multi-year extension.  This team won 6 DI games this past season.  If they win 12 or 13 next year, that will probably be viewed as a remarkable turnaround.

Where's the high-end facility?  The Betty is nice, but its not a "high-end" facility.  Go ahead and shoot me down now!

Agree the Betty ain't the Ralph and no video board but have you seen, for example, the Sacramento State gym? I don't think I'm exaggerating, it looks no bigger than and similar to EGF Sr High gymnasium.  There's a few others like that in the  Big Sky from what I've seen on webcast.

This is my biggest fear. Jones has conditioned the administration to have such low expectations for this program that I fear an overall record that simply approaches .500 next season is going to satisfy the AD. We have already seen that a slightly above .500 season earns a multi-year extension. This team won 6 DI games this past season. If they win 12 or 13 next year, that will probably be viewed as a remarkable turnaround.

4 more wins is hardly a turn around. That wont be enough to make big sky tourney if they came there.

4 more wins is hardly a turn around. That wont be enough to make big sky tourney if they came there.

I agree with you.  What I am wondering is if 12 DI wins, plus 2 wins against DII/NAIA schools putting us at or around .500 overall will be enough to satisfy Faison.  That would be double the win total from this year.  With as horrible as it was this year, .500 might look like quite the accomplishment to some people unfortunately.

I'm not defending Jones but we need to take players where ever they come from. We certainly want to build our programs with hs kids but we can't be picky. We will take some marginal kids but we better have a program in place for all of our athletes to help them academically and to adjust to the expectations of playing at this level at the same time maintaining grades and academic progress. Most D1 schools have the staff whose sole purpose is to mentor these kids socially and academically so we don't lose kids. For kids who may learn they don't have the talent, we help them get their degree and stay in school.

I don't see the school 75 miles to the south of us "adjusting to the expectations of playing at this level", all they do is win conference tournaments and go to the NCAA tournament.  All we do is hope to scrape together enough wins to get a CIT bid.  Enough of this garbage; UND didn't move all its programs up to "adjust" to being a perennially mediocre program. :angry:

I agree with you.  What I am wondering is if 12 DI wins, plus 2 wins against DII/NAIA schools putting us at or around .500 overall will be enough to satisfy Faison.  That would be double the win total from this year.  With as horrible as it was this year, .500 might look like quite the accomplishment to some people unfortunately.

If Faison gives Jones an extension next year for having a winning season, it is Faison that needs to be fired on the spot.  Then we'll let his replacement fire Jones.

• Upvote 1

Where's the high-end facility? The Betty is nice, but its not a "high-end" facility. Go ahead and shoot me down now!

So NDSU can go to the dance in an outdated facility (BSA) and in a hockey arena (Scheels) but yet we can't go because we don't have a high end facility? I think what determines who goes to the dance is the players and coaches not the uniforms or building.

• Upvote 1

So NDSU can go to the dance in an outdated facility (BSA) and in a hockey arena (Scheels) but yet we can't go because we don't have a high end facility? I think what determines who goes to the dance is the players and coaches not the uniforms or building.

Nice cherry picking - he was responding to someone who is trying to compare UND to UT.

Yea, BSA is outdated and Scheels is a hockey rink, but the warmer winter temps in Fargo do help attract better players than Grand Forks...

• Upvote 3