SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I see Craig Smith just led South Dakota to an upset victory over IPFW in the first round of the Summit tourney (in his first year).  We didn't need him.  

Yup. He didn't have five years NCAA experience, and therefore was not even considered at UND nine years ago. I feared at the time that we'd look back at the whole process 5 to 10 years later and realize what a joke it was. And here we are.

• Upvote 1

I can't blame the players for defending Jones. I'm not saying he deserves it, but a kid is either going to go out of his way to defend the coach in the face of adversity, or say nothing at all. I take comments like this with a grain of salt.

Spot on/ditto.

Yup. He didn't have five years NCAA experience, and therefore was not even considered at UND nine years ago. I feared at the time that we'd look back at the whole process 5 to 10 years later and realize what a joke it was. And here we are.

Muss 2.0. It may not take long to rebuild this team after Jones is gone....problem is, Jones is still here.

The players people would worry about are Hooker, Cashman, Shields, Seales and Crandall. If any of them decide to move on, fine. One step back to take 1,000,000 steps forward.

I am far from a Jones supporter, but I just don't see UND getting rid of him. If they do decide to part ways, would the lure of a trip to Italy keep any of the players from transferring?

I am far from a Jones supporter, but I just don't see UND getting rid of him. If they do decide to part ways, would the lure of a trip to Italy keep any of the players from transferring?

I truly believe that there is more of a chance of players transferring over the next year or two if a coaching change is NOT made.  Good players want to win!

• Upvote 1

Bumping this so people can get their actual name on record with someone who can actually make a difference.

I sent my email, and yes I used my real name. I was respectful in my email, did not use any name calling, but told it how it is.

I sent my email, and yes I used my real name. I was respectful in my email, did not use any name calling, but told it how it is.

But did you put $5 in the jar for your CIT comment yesterday?

Wait a minute.....you're not Mrs. Jones.

Nope but if there is going to be a whole offseason of complaints, it'd at least be nice to know that people voiced their opinion to someone who can do something about them instead of hoping someone would read it here.

Crazy to think that both Ben Jacobson and Greg McDermott were both here as assistants, and at the same time!!  Would have been nice to snag one of those guys before they landed head coaching jobs!! 

I am assuming that Rich still sends McDermott a Xmas/Thank you card every year for putting his best team's together in the late 80's-early 90's.  Mac could recruit.  

This was Tom Buning's asinine criteria that led us to Jones.  So the problems with the program started with him.

I know some people hate the Jones-Muss comparisons, but I'm just throwing this out there because it struck me as interesting:

Mussman

31-34 career record (.477)

3-8 record in final season (.273)

Jones

126-152 career record (.453)

8-22 record this season (.267)

And yes, I understand Jones' overall Big Sky winning percentage is quite a bit higher than Muss's was, even with this year's debacle. And even though both had bad home records in their last/most recent seasons, at least Jones mostly lost close games. Whether that's enough to override the other numbers is anybody's guess. Also, both had/have two years left on their contracts.

I know some people hate the Jones-Muss comparisons, but I'm just throwing this out there because it struck me as interesting:

Mussman

31-34 career record (.477)

3-8 record in final season (.273)

Jones

126-152 career record (.453)

8-22 record this season (.267)

And yes, I understand Jones' overall Big Sky winning percentage is quite a bit higher than Muss's was, even with this year's debacle. And even though both had bad home records in their last/most recent seasons, at least Jones mostly lost close games. Whether that's enough to override the other numbers is anybody's guess. Also, both had/have two years left on their contracts.

What was Mussman 2nd to last season record?

Mussman also coached in one of the better FCS football conferences.  Brian Jones is coaching in one of the worst Basketball conferences.  I believe we are currently the 27th ranked bball conference.  Typically outside of Weber and Montana, there are not good basketball schools in the Big Sky.  This year is an exception as Weber is down and EWU is up.  

For the supporters of a "whacking", I think this is where your case loses some steam.

I'm assuming you're focusing on the 12-8 Big Sky record, and not the overall 17-17 record from last season? Personally, I would be a bit more willing to give Jones the benefit of the doubt had there been some improvement record-wise from 2012-13 to 2013-14. I felt like the Huff, et al. group pretty much plateaued as sophomores. I didn't see much, if any progress during their junior or senior years. Although the degree to which Brekke's injuries impacted things is hard to know for certain.