SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Brewster took UND to the Dance in 2 years of coaching was towards the tops in the nation in rebounding, Jones is in his what 8th year and has 6 OOC road wins, a bunch of CIT trips, and is usually towards the bottom in rebounding. Yep fire Brewster and keep Jones.

Good insight.  Shoot Jones an e-mail, bet he hadn't thought of that yet. 

Bet Coleman wishes they wouldn't have worked on rebounding so much this past week, he wouldn't have ended up with his eye/face busted up.

Why would you as a coach distance yourself from kids and not want to get to know them and care about them more than just what they do on the court.  If I have a coach who gets to know me and shows interest in my life and not just what I possess as a ball player than I am that much more inclined to go through a brick wall for that coach.  After all, a lot of the kids aren't going to the NBA anytime soon and they will be in the real world soon and you need to teach life skills and show that there is more than just what goes on during the game.  You want to build a program where your alumni donate money and come back to see games and really care about Grand Forks and UND.  Not getting to know your players I think really only hurts a coach.  Every kid is different and they don't need to like you, but they should sure respect and know that you care.

I also noticed from what I've seen that Jones in recent years hasn't had posts that are some go to players.  A lot of his recruiting seems to be guard oriented and every shooter is gonna have off nights and that is when they need to be able to feed the posts and take some pressure off the guards.  Especially with a team like Northern Colorado a post presence would have eaten them up since they didn't have much for size or depth at that position.  

Why would you as a coach distance yourself from kids and not want to get to know them and care about them more than just what they do on the court.  If I have a coach who gets to know me and shows interest in my life and not just what I possess as a ball player than I am that much more inclined to go through a brick wall for that coach.  After all, a lot of the kids aren't going to the NBA anytime soon and they will be in the real world soon and you need to teach life skills and show that there is more than just what goes on during the game.  You want to build a program where your alumni donate money and come back to see games and really care about Grand Forks and UND.  Not getting to know your players I think really only hurts a coach.  Every kid is different and they don't need to like you, but they should sure respect and know that you care.

I also noticed from what I've seen that Jones in recent years hasn't had posts that are some go to players.  A lot of his recruiting seems to be guard oriented and every shooter is gonna have off nights and that is when they need to be able to feed the posts and take some pressure off the guards.  Especially with a team like Northern Colorado a post presence would have eaten them up since they didn't have much for size or depth at that position.

Curious. What makes you think Coach Jones distances himself from his players?

team crashes, ie only gets 1 more conference win, I can see a move made, but its looking more like Jones is coaching for his next contract extension at UND for the next 1.5 years

If Jones gets another .500 or less performance out of the team next year... then a move will be made.  With 4 potential starters coming back next year, Seales, Geno, Collins, McDermount, Brickstein, the trip to Italy with extra practices and scrimmages, NDSU, SDSU, (hopefully UNI), at home.  If they don't challenge for the conference title next year (and I expect them to), it will be a major disappointment. The guard position will be talented and experienced once again, we actually have a halfway decent post, with hopefully strong development from Cashman and Sheilds in the offseason.  Weber, Eastern, and Montana are my expected challengers for the crown next year, we better have a seat at that table.

You can all the great talent, but at some point you need the results from that great talent.  The results is Big Sky titles and NCAA tourney appearances and wins. 

• Upvote 2

My problem with Jones is the team just doesn't seem to be improving. Not from the beginning of the season to the end or from year to year. I'm no BB mind but whatever he seems to be doing it's not relating to the kids. The kids just don't seem to play well as a team. Last year they had arguably some of the most talented guys ever at UND but played like individuals not a team. I think a change is probably overdue at this point.

My problem with Jones is the team just doesn't seem to be improving. Not from the beginning of the season to the end or from year to year. I'm no BB mind but whatever he seems to be doing it's not relating to the kids. The kids just don't seem to play well as a team. Last year they had arguably some of the most talented guys ever at UND but played like individuals not a team. I think a change is probably overdue at this point.

I'd argue his teams have played their best basketball starting in conference play and into February and March and into the conference tournaments (excluding the Big Sky finals last year when half the roster was injured).  Don't have the time to look it up at the moment but I would guess his winning percentage goes up as the year goes on (especially the last 3-4 years).  Granted with poor OOC results, the bar hasn't been set terribly high. 

I'd argue his teams have played their best basketball starting in conference play and into February and March and into the conference tournaments (excluding the Big Sky finals last year when half the roster was injured).  Don't have the time to look it up at the moment but I would guess his winning percentage goes up as the year goes on (especially the last 3-4 years).  Granted with poor OOC results, the bar hasn't been set terribly high. 

That and the Big Sky Conference is a pretty weak basketball conference.  I would agree with North Dakota, that I haven't see a whole lot of improvement over the course of the year with past teams.  New team this year so we will see...

Edit:  Outside of Weber, there really isn't a "basketball" school in the conference.  I don't see Montana as being a great basketball program.  If UND made basketball any kind of a priority, I could see the program become a perennial contender for the conference crown and challenge Weber on a regular basis.  Sadly, I haven't seen much of an effort put into improving the program as a whole.  Hopefully I'm wrong about that...

That and the Big Sky Conference is a pretty weak basketball conference.  I would agree with North Dakota, that I haven't see a whole lot of improvement over the course of the year with past teams.  New team this year so we will see...

Edit:  Outside of Weber, there really isn't a "basketball" school in the conference.  I don't see Montana as being a great basketball program.  If UND made basketball any kind of a priority, I could see the program become a perennial contender for the conference crown and challenge Weber on a regular basis.  Sadly, I haven't seen much of an effort put into improving the program as a whole.  Hopefully I'm wrong about that...

Won't argue that, guess it is tough to gauge.  Last year they split with Sac St and Portland St during the regular season (home team winning each game) and beat them both in the Big Sky tournament.  Same thing the year before, splitting with Southern Utah in the first round and then lost a heartbreaker by two to Weber after not even being close either game in the regular season.  And again, while competition was again questionable, they won the Great West tournament as the #3 seed (8-4 in league play) and #2 seed (6-4 in league play)*.

*The last regular season game against Utah Valley (their only conference loss) was still one of the most exciting games and finishes I've seen in person.

• 3 weeks later...