SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

To remind everyone here...the BESC is owned and operated by the REA and its staff. UND Athletics rent space and time from them.

For those of you criticizing UND Athletics by not upgrading facilities, a new sound system, or a new center scoreboard it's not on the Athletics department as it is on the REA to fund such upgrades as they did with the new $3 million locker room for men's hockey (which is far superior of a revenue stream than any sport playing in the BESC)

That being said, the Athletic department does not want to fork over the money for those upgrades either as the REA has stated if upgrades were to be done.

A standstill until someone gives or the MBB, WBB, and VB teams start making consistent runs at BSC championships and making it to the Big Dance.

I have pointed this out myself several times.....and gotten flamed for doing so each and every time.

And we are starting to see the results of giving basically every penny to the REA. And them having decide where to spend "UNDs money."

Pretty ridiculous to spend millions remodeling perfectly fine REA locker rooms (and a new center hung scoreboard at center ice, new concourse tvs, and a sound system) and not buy the Betty a real scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

To remind everyone here...the BESC is owned and operated by the REA and its staff. UND Athletics rent space and time from them.

For those of you criticizing UND Athletics by not upgrading facilities, a new sound system, or a new center scoreboard it's not on the Athletics department as it is on the REA to fund such upgrades as they did with the new $3 million locker room for men's hockey (which is far superior of a revenue stream than any sport playing in the BESC)

That being said, the Athletic department does not want to fork over the money for those upgrades either as the REA has stated if upgrades were to be done.

A standstill until someone gives or the MBB, WBB, and VB teams start making consistent runs at BSC championships and making it to the Big Dance.

But isn't this a case of which comes first, the chicken or the egg?  Should the teams have to win more to get the upgrades or will the upgrades help the teams more?

• Upvote 1

That money goes to the ralph though and they decide what and where to spend it (new locker rooms?) and then they decide what to give UND at the end of the year.

I'm not quite so sure that's how the ticket revenues for UND athletics is handled.  UND reported over $4 million in ticket revenues for 2013.  If the REA was getting that and then giving UND a cut, UND wouldn't be able to report it like that.  I believe that for UND events, they contract with the REA to handle that ticket sales, season tickets, etc.  The money given to UND at the end of the year are proceeds from other events and concessions that the REA does outside of handling UND's tickets.

Unless the season goes south, I don't see Jones being fired this year.  However, his decision year will next year with 4 projected starters back, De Rouen, Geno, that crop of freshman, etc.  If we don't see anything then.  Its time for a change.

If it comes... I know the first place Faison should call

edit: Oh, and that trip to Italy with exhibitions and early practices.  No excuse next year for a slow start

• Upvote 1

Shouldn't a team reload not rebuild? Kansas reloads, Duke reloads, who rebuilds but a struggling team on a decline. Our football team is rebuilding, our women's basketball team is reloading. If Jones has to rebuild every 4 years then he isn't recruiting the right players. Also considering the facility, the weather and quantity of in state D1 talent and a D1 BB team, NDSU went to the dance its first season of being eligible. I guess that leaves pay and oh yeah coaching!!

Wow. You have absolutely no idea at all what you are talking about.

But isn't this a case of which comes first, the chicken or the egg?  Should the teams have to win more to get the upgrades or will the upgrades help the teams more?

Very true. You'd hope they'd do the upgrades first in order to woo players to come here such as hockey with their new upgrades.

100% correct.

Only difference between UND basketball and NDSU basketball, and even football teams, is the coaching and athletic departments; both of which have been superior for NDSU. NDSU's facilities are on par with UND's, but it's the effort put into the programs by NDSU that trumps that of UND.

Yah and it wasn't that long ago that UND was the front runner - everything goes in cycles. I know this is a fan site so it's the place to rant but geez sometimes I wonder how many of you would do if you were held to the same level at your jobs. 

Huh?  

This team is far from young. 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 2 sophomores and 5 freshman...

What I meant by this is that the team overall is young when it comes to playing with each other. Enjoy the process of watching them come together. As for everything else this thread is a train wreck. I will maintain that you can either be a part of the solution by donating to the program and attending games or you can be a part of the problem by checking box scores and calling for coaches jobs after every bad loss. IMHO i don't think anyone who doesn't either A. Donate directly to the Athletic program or B. attend Men's Basketball home games should be saying anything about the mbb head coaches job. If you care enough about the program to call someone out like that you should care enough to donate or have your but in the seats at the Betty. 

I have a feeling even with a new coach the same people would be on here complaining about that one getting fired eventually. Seems like a vicious cycle with certain "fans.". E-mail the AD if you have issues and let the people who are paid to make those decisions worry about it. Support UND and it's student athletes, if changes are necessary they tend to happen, in this case it's not necessary now.  And i will save you the trouble, no I did not want to keep Muss. 

Lastly, as it relates to updates to the Betty....c'mon guys they just built a $750,000 storage space for extra hockey nets. Why would REA invest in something that could bring back ROI like scoreboard and digital scorers table for ad revenue, or locker/weight room renovations for recruits, when we have extra hockey nets and sticks lying around......

• Upvote 1

The issue with facilities is not the arena itself. It is the locker room, (access to snack & drinks, as well as area to hang out). Also, training table, and as has been pointed out, the scoreboard and scorer's table. These things help bring in recruits and keep them. I believe UND can be very successful in MBB for a number of reasons, but it's hard to recruit without the amenities players look for. It's just the world we live in today. It really hurts when they showcase the Ralph to the recruits. The players tend to think MBB is second rate. Granted the Ralph should be everything it is, but basketball players believe they have a chance to be at the top there and want to see that program get some upgrades.

Yah and it wasn't that long ago that UND was the front runner - everything goes in cycles. I know this is a fan site so it's the place to rant but geez sometimes I wonder how many of you would do if you were held to the same level at your jobs. 

When was the last time UND was in the NCAA DI basketball tournament? When was the last time UND was in the FCS playoffs?

Please don't bore me with the ridiculous "cycles speech". 

What inherent advantage does a school like Montana have in the Big Sky Conference?  They are a similarly sized school, with similar support, in a similar market, and are also somewhat remotely located geographically speaking.  Yet they are nearly always one of the top 3 teams in the league.  This is what I expect of North Dakota. 

If we were a perennial mid-level Big Sky team, that would be very disappointing in my eyes.  A second and third place finish in our first two years in the league is fantastic, and exactly what I want to see from this team.  However I am of the opinion that the non-conference season is just as important as the Big Sky season.  I want to win every game.  I feel the season starts in November, not January.

Montana has much better fan support.

Montana has much better fan support.

I would argue a big part of that is because they win quite a lot.  UND hockey has great fan support.  Football had great fan support in the last decade of DII, when they were a national power.  In the early 2000's UND basketball was drawing over 3,000 a game.  In the early 90's when they were going far into the National Tournament they were drawing over 4,000 per game. 

I guess it is a chicken and egg type thing.  Does a team win because it has great fan support, or does a team get great fan support because it wins?  Personally, I think it is the latter.  The crowds at the Alerus didn't start to dwindle until the product on the field declined.  Same goes for basketball.

When was the last time UND was in the NCAA DI basketball tournament? When was the last time UND was in the FCS playoffs?

Please don't bore me with the ridiculous "cycles speech". 

You know that we have only been eligible for either for two seasons coming into this year right?  If things don't ever go in cycles, then surely Michigan is a favorite to win the National Championship in football this year. 

• Upvote 3

You know that we have only been eligible for either for two seasons coming into this year right? If things don't ever go in cycles, then surely Michigan is a favorite to win the National Championship in football this year.

Took UND over 100 years to win a national title in football. Willing to wait another century? How many titles has Minnesota won since 1960?

Cycles are not guaranteed; you can't just sit back and let things happen. That's a real hesitant way of thinking that quite frankly doesn't work. You want to break the cycle and win, you have to be proactive. Times change and sometimes you aren't guaranteed anything in the future, even if you believe in cycles. Breaking the modern trend requires an open mind and dedication/hard work.

Point is, UND has never been DI before and it's a different animal. UND is not guaranteed anything. UND's athletic department is still adapting to the higher requirements of DI versus DII athletics.

• Upvote 1

I would argue a big part of that is because they win quite a lot.  UND hockey has great fan support.  Football had great fan support in the last decade of DII, when they were a national power.  In the early 2000's UND basketball was drawing over 3,000 a game.  In the early 90's when they were going far into the National Tournament they were drawing over 4,000 per game. 

I guess it is a chicken and egg type thing.  Does a team win because it has great fan support, or does a team get great fan support because it wins?  Personally, I think it is the latter.  The crowds at the Alerus didn't start to dwindle until the product on the field declined.  Same goes for basketball.

I get your point but I think they have better support when their success is similar to ours year in and year out. We have way to many "fair weather fans". If we as fans want better recruiting we need to support our teams as they build the programs. It creates a better atmosphere for our recruits. Better recruits are more important than fans but more fans can make a difference. We can choose to blog or we can choose to attend the games and write checks and be part of creating successful programs and creating a culture of success. It will make it more likely we will see the results a lot of people seem to be demanding.

I get your point but I think they have better support when their success is similar to ours year in and year out. We have way to many "fair weather fans". If we as fans want better recruiting we need to support our teams as they build the programs. It creates a better atmosphere for our recruits. Better recruits are more important than fans but more fans can make a difference. We can choose to blog or we can choose to attend the games and write checks and be part of creating successful programs and creating a culture of success. It will make it more likely we will see the results a lot of people seem to be demanding.

People demand and expect a social experience that includes video boards at game events. If the Ralph didn't have them, ticket demand would probably go down by 30 percent. Younger people keep their eyes glued to video boards, not the game. We are losing succeeding generations because we don't have video boards in the Betty.

A 6' x 6' board would go for like 25k mounted on a wall or ceiling, based on EBay prices. Get two boards. Can't understand why the Ralph directors won't go for that, unless they purposely want to undermine the Betty's sports: keeping hockey as the only social/video option for the younger crowd. If the Betty had boards, people would be willing to pay higher ticket prices just because it would be a better experience.

• Upvote 1

It just doesn't make sense that the REA hasn't shelled out some cash for video boards.  Either the REA board is totally apathetic about the bball program (not likely, because the board has business sense) or something is coming down the pike for the Hyslop and the REA doesn't want to invest just for a year or twos use.

This is just a hunch. but it's possible that a donation is in the works to remodel the Hyslop for basketball.  Wait until after a new nickname is chosen after it is announced.  Make it into a bowl environment  with modern amenities  like chair back seats and video boards. Once the other athletes are gone with the IPF, its empty.  Even the athletic departments will probably be gone from the offices for better space such as video and study rooms.  It could be a first class place again with the right plan.  The asbestos might not even have to be removed.  It could probably be done for less than $10 mil, maybe just a couple mil. 

Phil Jackson was an outspoken opponent of our old name, but still follows UND, even hockey.  He used to make $24 mill a year as Laker coach and now makes like $10 mill as Knicks GM.  He might be interested. It would be putting his pocketbook where his mouth is.   If he's still Jeannie Buss's boyfriend, it wouldn't even dent her pockets.  He does have 5 kids and more grandkids though.

• Upvote 1

It just doesn't make sense that the REA hasn't shelled out some cash for video boards. Either the REA board is totally apathetic about the bball program (not likely, because the board has business sense) or something is coming down the pike for the Hyslop and the REA doesn't want to invest just for a year or twos use.

This is just a hunch. but it's possible that a donation is in the works to remodel the Hyslop for basketball. Wait until after a new nickname is chosen after it is announced. Make it into a bowl environment with modern amenities like chair back seats and video boards. Once the other athletes are gone with the IPF, its empty. Even the athletic departments will probably be gone from the offices for better space such as video and study rooms. It could be a first class place again with the right plan. The asbestos might not even have to be removed. It could probably be done for less than $10 mil, maybe just a couple mil.

Phil Jackson was an outspoken opponent of our old name, but still follows UND, even hockey. He used to make $24 mill a year as Laker coach and now makes like $10 mill as Knicks GM. He might be interested. It would be putting his pocketbook where his mouth is. If he's still Jeannie Buss's boyfriend, it wouldn't even dent her pockets. He does have 5 kids and more grandkids though.

Move basketball to the Hyslop and just have volleyball at the Betty?