SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

Please Jost.  One more year.  Look how much Nick S. improved his game his second  year, and how ready he was when he got to Chicago.  You can play in the WJC.  And maybe the Olympics if the NHL doesn't go.

Just now, hky said:

Please Jost.  One more year.  Look how much Nick S. improved his game his second  year, and how ready he was when he got to Chicago.  You can play in the WJC.  And maybe the Olympics if the NHL doesn't go.

oh, so he will be gone for 4 games or 6?  Plus playing what, 7 or 8 games in Olympics and same for WJC?  Explain how this is good for the team?  I want him back, but I think he would need to pick one or the other, not both? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, hky said:

Jost is closer to being ready that either Boeser or Schmaltz were after one year. 

6 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

oh, so he will be gone for 4 games or 6?  Plus playing what, 7 or 8 games in Olympics and same for WJC?  Explain how this is good for the team?  I want him back, but I think he would need to pick one or the other, not both? 

He can choose both. 

3 minutes ago, Sioux Hawky said:

Don't say that! You know these guys read this stuff. Don't give him anymore reasons to leave. 

If he really does read this stuff, then he knows burd is as clueless as they come, and it will probably make him think he needs to stay. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Add Rowney to this. Who on here would have expected him to make it?

Agree, rowney was a solid college player but never a star. Great that he made it to the NHL, but it took a lot of work to get there. Certainly didn't look like an NHLer when he was at UND.

33 minutes ago, burd said:

Jost is closer to being ready that either Boeser or Schmaltz were after one year. 

Agreed, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from one more year. Even Jost took huge strides in the maturity of his game. The Toews comparisons were all warranted. Hope he looks at Toews using 2 full years to develop, even with the age difference.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's make this clear.........Pogo at this stage isn't close to Malone when he was at UND and is a notch below VV as well.

I am afraid you are right.  I believe that partly what happens to these guys is that the team that drafts them is scared that if they go into their senior year and the player does well, the player has a better bargaining position as the team that originally drafted him only has 30 days from the time they leave college to sign the prospect.  Player could then potentially become a free agent.  It is a tough decision for these guys of when to make that move and they get alot of pressure from all sides of what to do.  Many parents overestimate the readiness of their son thinking they are ready when they are not.  Got to believe that Coach Berry is honest with his players in helping them to make a decision. Unfortunately many of them spend their entire pro careers at the lower levels.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's make this clear.........Pogo at this stage isn't close to Malone when he was at UND and is a notch below VV as well.

I also think Malone made his biggest jump during his senior year. Maybe a product of the talent around him, but maybe pogo could do that if he stayed. Tough to know.

Getting a high level talent like Boeser always has a risk of early signing and I think UND does as well an anyone in keeping them for as long as possible.  However, we seem to be hit with a lot of painful mid-level early signings - the Luke Johnson type where almost everyone can see the minor leagues in his future.  Does this happen to other teams to this extent too?  I don't follow closely enough to know.  It seems like it is easier to plan for the high end signings than the mid level flight.  In my opinion the lower ones are the ones that are hurting college hockey in that it is harder and harder to develop continuity in your program.  

• Upvote 1