SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

6 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Offensively yes, probably top 3. Defensively as normal, not even close. 

He's an offensive defensemen...that's how they play.  Go check out a senators game sometime.  All I have to say is that I'm glad he's on our side.  Hopefully he stays.  Would be a super important junior next year (even with his 1-2 bad pinches a game ;) ). Kids a game changer.  Without his style of play that 3rd goal never happens.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He was the best player on the ice yesterday....other than maybe Keller I guess.

Not sure what game you were watching, but 24 was responsible for the first and third goal for BU. he did get us one back. Defensively he is very very average and will not sniff the NHL as a d-man for a long time. I think he would make a great wing on a checking line. In his own zone he sends weak passes out front, looks nervous. In the O-zone he is crisp with passes and has a rocket of a shot. I don't get it but he was far from the best player on the ice, hope the kid sticks around and improves because he has the tools.

Just now, Magiccitysiouxfan said:

Not sure what game you were watching, but 24 was responsible for the first and third goal for BU. he did get us one back. Defensively he is very very average and will not sniff the NHL as a d-man for a long time. I think he would make a great wing on a checking line. In his own zone he sends weak passes out front, looks nervous. In the O-zone he is crisp with passes and has a rocket of a shot. I don't get it but he was far from the best player on the ice, hope the kid sticks around and improves because he has the tools.

If a D-man gets caught below the red line in the offensive zone as the puck breaks out going the other way you're screwed. That happened on goals 1 and 3.

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If a D-man gets caught below the red line in the offensive zone as the puck breaks out going the other way you're screwed. That happened on goals 1 and 3.

I agree, but I will also put the 1st goal on Olson as well, he had a chance to clear the zone and sent a lazy backhand up the wall and the puck was kept in the zone.

29 minutes ago, franchise said:

I guess I'm in the minority because I really like Wolanin. He has some areas to work on, sure, but he's definitely got talent. I think a lot of opinions will change on him if he sticks around

I do too.  Tons of potential.  I think he'll be remembered as a very special player by the time he leaves, hopefully after NEXT season.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, franchise said:

I guess I'm in the minority because I really like Wolanin. He has some areas to work on, sure, but he's definitely got talent. I think a lot of opinions will change on him if he sticks around

I do as well,  and thought he was the  better defender vs Shaw last year when they split games.  Shaw' s  d has progressed,  while Wolanin' s has digressed this year.  Hope he gets it back. 

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Safe to say that injury might not have been the issue for the below par year. NHL teams don't risk 1st round draft picks with injuries in meaningless end of year games.

They get high draft picks to sign early by having them play in end of year games, thus burning a year on their entry level contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hky said:

They get high draft picks to sign early by having them play in end of year games, thus burning a year on their entry level contract.

Teams still aren't gonna risk a high draft picks health.  Just pointing out that maybe a nagging injury wasn't to blame for this season.

13 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Top prospects come to UND because we can get them to the next level.  We should not be upset when a player leaves early to play professional hockey.  It what makes our program great.

Bingo...plus we have a nice pipeline.  Our team was young this year.  I really liked how our D came along.  Peski was a man yesterday...and some on here reached to criticize this kid at every chance earlier in the year (as a frosh).  As long as we don't lose guys like jost and pogo we should be very good.  If we do I still think the team will be ok by the end of the year.

• Upvote 2

It's always darkest before the dawn...yesterday was a bummer, but the sun came up today.  I'm hoping for a UMass-Lowell, Air Force, or Michigan Tech title - and a fun 2017-2018 season beginning this fall.

To this year's team and those who will leave UND early - thanks for another fun ride this season.  Go Fighting Hawks.  North Dakota forever.

• Upvote 3