SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 FCS PLAYOFFS THIRD ROUND

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

24 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

James Madison looks like a real contender...I am looking forward to seeing how they handle the dome this Saturday. Of any team I think they have the best shot at taking them down, although still an uphill battle.

What about EWU? They torched NDSU in the dome for 500+ yards. They didn't even have Kupp after the 1st quarter and also had a 80 yard TD called back early in the 4th that turned into a turnover and 7 points for NDSU. If I was NDSU I would be a lot more nervous to play EWU than JMU. EWU is good at something that NDSU is not. They have too much firepower for the NDSU dbacks to control. On the flip side, NDSU has too much run game power for EWU d to handle. It would be a shoot out again, but with Kupp healthy and on a neutral playing field I have EWU winning over NDSU even in their playoff mode. Maybe NDSU would/will decide not to run that ugly 3-3-5 defense that got them torched. And knowing how things go for NDSU it'll probably be pouring rain the entire game and 40 mph wind so they will destroy EWU on the ground. 

17 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

What about EWU? They torched NDSU in the dome for 500+ yards. They didn't even have Kupp after the 1st quarter and also had a 80 yard TD called back early in the 4th that turned into a turnover and 7 points for NDSU. If I was NDSU I would be a lot more nervous to play EWU than JMU. EWU is good at something that NDSU is not. They have too much firepower for the NDSU dbacks to control. On the flip side, NDSU has too much run game power for EWU d to handle. It would be a shoot out again, but with Kupp healthy and on a neutral playing field I have EWU winning over NDSU even in their playoff mode. Maybe NDSU would/will decide not to run that ugly 3-3-5 defense that got them torched. And knowing how things go for NDSU it'll probably be pouring rain the entire game and 40 mph wind so they will destroy EWU on the ground. 

I think JMU has the best chance. That offense is incredible and their d backs look impressive. Their secondary completely shut Sam Houston down and that is no small feat. I also think EWU has a good chance but they need to take care of Youngstown first...which I think they will. One week at a time. From a football fan perspective I am looking forward to these games this weekend.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I think JMU has the best chance. That offense is incredible and their d backs look impressive. Their secondary completely shut Sam Houston down and that is no small feat. I also think EWU has a good chance but they need to take care of Youngstown first...which I think they will. One week at a time. From a football fan perspective I am looking forward to these games this weekend.

As the past postseasons have proven time and time again, good teams show up to the Fargodome and become average teams. We need to strive to turn the Alerus Center into that kind of an advantage. 

Best chance for an NDSU loss is versus EWU in Frisco but I certainly will be hoping for a JMU win on Friday night. 

18 minutes ago, mj23 said:

NDSU had same thing happen and their guy was even less down the field than SDSU's.  It evens out.

I don't think NDSU's was a 70 yard TD called back though. Also after EWU's, they came back and threw a pick which turned into a 7 point swing (14 point difference). Later comment is about how the team can respond, but still. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As the past postseasons have proven time and time again, good teams show up to the Fargodome and become average teams. We need to strive to turn the Alerus Center into that kind of an advantage. 

Best chance for an NDSU loss is versus EWU in Frisco but I certainly will be hoping for a JMU win on Friday night. 

It has been a while since a team has wow'ed me and JMU did just that. I said they have the best chance because no team has beaten them at home and I believe this JMU team has "it." They will probably lose on Friday but out of all the teams to go to the dome in the postseason over the last five years, I think JMU is by far the best. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, mj23 said:

NDSU had same thing happen and their guy was even less down the field than SDSU's.  It evens out.

The Bison player was exactly 3 yards down the field and the jacks player was about 5 yards down the field.

NDSU went on to score a couple plays later...SDSU drive stalled.

Winners win.

38 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

It has been a while since a team has wow'ed me and JMU did just that. I said they have the best chance because no team has beaten them at home and I believe this JMU team has "it." They will probably lose on Friday but out of all the teams to go to the dome in the postseason over the last five years, I think JMU is by far the best. 

2012 Ga Southern was very good too.  I haven't watched any JMU, but Ga Southern's offense was scary good. McKinnon running the veer is crazy. 

19 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

2012 Ga Southern was very good too.  I haven't watched any JMU, but Ga Southern's offense was scary good. McKinnon running the veer is crazy. 

True. If that game was on a neutral field or if McKinnon could have actually thrown a football the Bison run would have been delayed.

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

True. If that game was on a neutral field or if McKinnon could have actually thrown a football the Bison run would have been delayed.

They had another qb who came in for certain passing type situations.  I don't remember which qb was in,  but they hit a couple of long pass plays. Very fun game. 

The problem is . . . you can't punt against the Bison.  You have to score first and keep scoring.  Go for it on 4th down.  If they're more than 1 or 2 scores behind, they can't be doing those crazy 20 minute drives and Stick has to throw the ball.  As soon as SDSU punted on their first 4th down, they were hosed. 

I guess we can take these stats with a grain of salt given the competition that JMU plays against, but still impressive none the less:

QB Schor - 2648 yards, 24 TD's

RB Abdullah - 1577 yards, 20 TD's

JMU is averaging over 49 points per game and allowing 22.  The last three games they have outscored their opponents 183-43. (Which includes a buttkicking 65-7 or Sam Houston last Saturday).

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I guess we can take these stats with a grain of salt given the competition that JMU plays against, but still impressive none the less:

JMU is averaging over 49 points per game and allowing 22.  The last three games they have outscored their opponents 183-43. (Which includes a buttkicking 65-7 or Sam Houston last Saturday).

EWU with a tougher schedule

QB Gubrud- 4,807 yards, 45 TD's

RB Gubrud- 749 yards, 5 TD's

WR 3 guys with over 1,000 yards and 2 with 15+ TD's. 

9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

EWU with a tougher schedule

QB Gubrud- 4,807 yards, 45 TD's

RB Gubrud- 749 yards, 5 TD's

WR 3 guys with over 1,000 yards and 2 with 15+ TD's. 

JMU has a chance to beat NDSU, but yes I agree that EWU is a better team.  If it is NDSU v EWU in the title game, I have to give the edge to Eastern Washington.  NDSU has not faced a passing juggernaut like that in a very long time.  

36 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

The problem is . . . you can't punt against the Bison.  You have to score first and keep scoring.  Go for it on 4th down.  If they're more than 1 or 2 scores behind, they can't be doing those crazy 20 minute drives and Stick has to throw the ball.  As soon as SDSU punted on their first 4th down, they were hosed. 

No punting against NDSU? Screw field position!

Quite the strategy there, but unfortunately that will most likely give the other team repetitive short fields to score on at will. 

I think a team like JMU will have to score early on and create some long successful drives to drain the clock. I hate it, but NDSU is really good at keeping the chains moving while eating up the clock and still scoring to shut down other offenses...because they cant get on the field. Creating turnovers and capitalizing on them while being competitive on the TOP battle with NDSU is JMU's only chance. 

A team like EWU will have to score on 3/4 of their possessions to beat NDSU because their Defense sure as hell won't stop NDSU's run game. 

Either way, I am rooting for JMU Friday, and fellow Big Sky peer EWU there after. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

SDSU's offensive stats with a much tougher schedule:

Wieneke  WR  - 1,316 yards 16 TDs

Goedert  TE    -  1,293 yards 11 TDs

Christion  QB   - 3,714 yards 30 TDs

The Bison have already played, and beaten, some pretty fair offensive teams this year.

43 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

No punting against NDSU? Screw field position!

Quite the strategy there, but unfortunately that will most likely give the other team repetitive short fields to score on at will. 

I think a team like JMU will have to score early on and create some long successful drives to drain the clock. I hate it, but NDSU is really good at keeping the chains moving while eating up the clock and still scoring to shut down other offenses...because they cant get on the field. Creating turnovers and capitalizing on them while being competitive on the TOP battle with NDSU is JMU's only chance. 

A team like EWU will have to score on 3/4 of their possessions to beat NDSU because their Defense sure as hell won't stop NDSU's run game. 

Either way, I am rooting for JMU Friday, and fellow Big Sky peer EWU there after. 

When SDSU beat NDSU in the regular season they didn't punt and went for it a ton of times on 4th down.

39 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

SDSU's offensive stats with a much tougher schedule:

Wieneke  WR  - 1,316 yards 16 TDs

Goedert  TE    -  1,293 yards 11 TDs

Christion  QB   - 3,714 yards 30 TDs

The Bison have already played, and beaten, some pretty fair offensive teams this year.

Yah but as another troll once said "They didn't play their top game,"

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Yah but as another troll once said "They didn't play their top game,"

Given they scored a whopping 10 points  the week before at home.......and have never made it to the semi-finals in the past 40 years.....the results on Saturday weren't that surprising.  Definitely one of the best trick plays I've ever seen though!