SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 FCS PLAYOFFS THIRD ROUND

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

UND completely and utterly choked away their lead in the 4th quarter. UND felt the pressure and collapsed under it via the certain failures (running into the kicker, blocked punt, dropped passes, etc.). It was no fluke that UND was up 24-7 in the second half; Richmond is an iffy team. With that said, UND played possibly one of their worst quarters of the season that 4th quarter and it cost them. 

Eastern exposed Richmond as that iffy team today. Perhaps we should all say 2016 UND team was an iffy team too, based on the fact they required a couple huge comebacks and they ultimately fell due to a chokejob. The foundation is there, though, for UND to be great in 2017. Team goal #1 needs to be more consistency: no more huge comebacks (preferably) or second half collapses. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND completely and utterly choked away their lead in the 4th quarter. UND felt the pressure and collapsed under it via the certain failures (running into the kicker, blocked punt, dropped passes, etc.). It was no fluke that UND was up 24-7 in the second half; Richmond is an iffy team. With that said, UND played possibly one of their worst quarters of the season that 4th quarter and it cost them. 

Eastern exposed Richmond as that iffy team today. Perhaps we should all say 2016 UND team was an iffy team too, based on the fact they required a couple huge comebacks and they ultimately fell due to a chokejob. The foundation is there, though, for UND to be great in 2017. Team goal #1 needs to be more consistency: no more huge comebacks (preferably) or second half collapses. 

Iffy teams don't get seeded.

You can go negative if that is your preference. This was a great season. We went undefeated in conference play making us co-champs - any conjecture about a match up with Eastern Washington is just that because you have to play the game. Richmond was a disappointment it happens. Celebrate the season, the players, the effort and the coaches - Dang we went 9-2 in the season and some can still find something to bitch about? 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Dang we went 9-2 in the season and some can still find something to bitch about? 

As Bubba said, success is great as long as you don't become complacent. Some would argue that a  "we shouldn't bitch" attitude is complacency.

It is okay to criticize if it is under the context that there is so much more that UND football can accomplish and should aspire to accomplish. That is exactly what I am saying. Yes, UND had a good season (not great because that is reserved for 11-0), but the team had the ability to make it an even better season. I'm with Bubba -- let's not settle and let's continue to strive for bigger and better things. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

You can go negative if that is your preference. This was a great season. We went undefeated in conference play making us co-champs - any conjecture about a match up with Eastern Washington is just that because you have to play the game. Richmond was a disappointment it happens. Celebrate the season, the players, the effort and the coaches - Dang we went 9-2 in the season and some can still find something to bitch about? 

Raise your hand if you felt that UND would wind up 9-3 overall after an 0-2 start?  

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Enjoying a season and seeing it from the positive perspective has nothing to do with complacency. 

The point is to not enjoy it too much; that equates complacency. Some are talking as if this should be the ceiling for the UND football program. It isn't and it shouldn't be. 

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It looks like JMU's ticket stash for the semifinals was hacked by bison fans:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-802078.html

Bizon football fans just exude classy excrement.

-11 right now in northern Minnesota, I just pushed my Ice Shanty down the hill onto the ice today, about 2-3 inches, Walleyes will be hitting all week!

ill be around, I'm a moderator!

Who in the hell would make Lakesbison a moderator. Yikes!!!

31 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

SDSU brought their "C" game to Fargo and got pounded by the Bison.  Maybe JMU will show up with a better effort than the Wabbits.

It seems like everyone brings their "C" game to the FargoDome, especially in December ... hmmm.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

SDSU brought their "C" game to Fargo and got pounded by the Bison.  Maybe JMU will show up with a better effort than the Wabbits.

I disagree. SDSU was on fire to start that game. After that 20 play drive they were dead on d and out of sync on o. They had NDSU on the ropes before that drive.

Give credit where credit is due.

These are drives championship teams make. 

The first took the lead; the other crushed all hope. 

Team Plays-Yds TOP
NDSU 20-82 12:09 --> NDSU 14 SDSU 10 (a 20 play drive; seriously, a defense can not allow that*) 
NDSU 10-90 4:50 --> NDSU 29 SDSU 10 (a two score game just became three scores, 19 pts, in the middle of the 4th; and they went NINETY yards) 

How do you beat NDSU?
You must stop their drives early and win the TOP battle. They are a momentum team and when that gets going ... 

I hope my favorite team is taking notes. There's nothing wrong with learning from the archenemy. 

*The Bunnies helped NDSU out with TWO PI calls on the drive. You can not do that to help out good teams. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Team Plays-Yds TOP
NDSU 20-82 12:09 --> NDSU 14 SDSU 10 (a 20 play drive; seriously, a defense can not allow that*) 
NDSU 10-90 4:50 --> NDSU 29 SDSU 10 (a two score game just became three scores, 19 pts, in the middle of the 4th; and they went NINETY yards) 

How do you beat NDSU?
You must stop their drives early and win the TOP battle. They are a momentum team and when that gets going ... 

I hope my favorite team is taking notes. There's nothing wrong with learning from the archenemy. 

*The Bunnies helped NDSU out with TWO PI calls on the drive. You can not do that to help out good teams. 

Its just damn near impossible to beat NDSU at home, especially in the playoffs when the pressure is on. 

Best chance for NDSU to lose is on the road in postseason (won't be this season) or in Frisco, even though that's damn near a home game for them too. 

More than anything, UND needs to take notes on how to win at home in the Alerus Center with crowd noise. Have to take advantage of homefield ... advantage.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Team Plays-Yds TOP

How do you beat NDSU?

They also allowed two 3rd and very long conversions thanks a prevent no pressure d.

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They also allowed two 3rd and very long conversions thanks a prevent no pressure d.

And that's the last key to beating NDSU: Get to Easton Stick. He hasn't faced a lot of pressure and is average accuracy when he does. Yes, you're rolling the coverage dice, but playing prevent doesn't work because of NDSU's efficiency. 

I'd say the formula* is (1) win TOP, and (2) get to Stick.

*I never said the formula would be easy. 

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

James Madison looks like a real contender...I am looking forward to seeing how they handle the dome this Saturday. Of any team I think they have the best shot at taking them down, although still an uphill battle.

JMU has the offense to do it ...