SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

I attended the Spring ball scrimmage, and to my eye, Gordon seemed to be more of a threat than Johanneson.  Maybe I missed something.  From what I've read, he has some background to him that maybe some people are still thinking of when they watch him.  I'm certainly not saying he's BAD . . . I'm saying that from attending that scrimmage he would be my #4 back.

Let's hope he proves me wrong and kills it this season.

I'm so pumped that I've been watching replay games from last season now!!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

I attended the Spring ball scrimmage, and to my eye, Gordon seemed to be more of a threat than Johanneson.  Maybe I missed something.  From what I've read, he has some background to him that maybe some people are still thinking of when they watch him.  I'm certainly not saying he's BAD . . . I'm saying that from attending that scrimmage he would be my #4 back.

Gordon is an absolute STUD. He's a lock in the 2 deep for many of our conference mates. That said, Gordon also has 2 plus years in the system over JJ. What we saw at the spring game was Gordon reacting and executing at a high level. JJ was still learning. I have feeling that JJ will get there. It's a nice problem to have. 

1 hour ago, 77iceman said:

I re-watched the NAU game a couple weeks ago. at about this time each year the football itch comes back.

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Gordon is an absolute STUD. He's a lock in the 2 deep for many of our conference mates. That said, Gordon also has 2 plus years in the system over JJ. What we saw at the spring game was Gordon reacting and executing at a high level. JJ was still learning. I have feeling that JJ will get there. It's a nice problem to have. 

I bet Kyle Norberg has more yards than Gordon in 2017-

7 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

8 questions for the offense:

1. Will Aplin/Rooney take the next step, as centers tend to do, following their first year of steady action (I refer back to Boas as a recent example of huge progression from year 1 to 2?

2. Will Studsrud settle down in the pocket early this year and make the routine look, well, routine? 

3. Is Grady the missing link that adds talent and depth at the line so the surge can be more reminiscent of 2015?

4. Is Johanneson the real deal?

5. Can our big rangy wide outs add superb blocking on the outside to their list of attributes (I feel that this is an underrated skill that Top FCS teams do really well)?

6. What will the backup QBs bring to the table this year?

7. Will Demun emerge as a lethal long range weapon for the entire year?

8. What impact will speedsters McKinney, Griebel and Adeoti (speculating that RS will be pulled) have on this year's offense?

Added to your post.....:)

7 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

8 questions for the offense:

1. Will Aplin/Rooney take the next step, as centers tend to do, following their first year of steady action (I refer back to Boas as a recent example of huge progression from year 1 to 2?

2. Will Studsrud settle down in the pocket early this year and make the routine look, well, routine? 

3. Is Grady the missing link that adds talent and depth at the line so the surge can be more reminiscent of 2015?

4. Is Johanneson the real deal?

5. Can our big rangy wide outs add superb blocking on the outside to their list of attributes (I feel that this is an underrated skill that Top FCS teams do really well)?

6. What will the backup QBs bring to the table this year?

7. Will Demun emerge as a lethal long range weapon for the entire year?

8. What impact will speedsters McKinney and Adeoti (speculating that RS will be pulled) have on this year's offense?

In order to have a RS pulled I would hope that a player would have a significant role on offense or defense. So do the guys on here with knowledge believe that will be the case for any of our true freshman?

Can't imagine all 3 of those receivers play, considering who all we have back at receiver. Would love to see adeoti and griebel, but if you can redshirt them, then do it. I'm impatient, but I don't want to see young talent wasting a year either.

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can't imagine all 3 of those receivers play, considering who all we have back at receiver. Would love to see adeoti and griebel, but if you can redshirt them, then do it. I'm impatient, but I don't want to see young talent wasting a year either.

Cream rises to the top. If any of them get the shirt pulled they are a stud.

Seems almost unreal when you look at this team, how deep we are in some areas; Considering where we were a handful of year ago. Would still love to see more "proven" depth on O-line, which could happen this season. And Safety always makes me nervous. Will Blubaugh be playing safety? I know there was some concern about LB being young, but there seems to be a ton of potential, and our coaches have done a nice job with the LB core over the past several years, so I'm not as concerned about that.

Really looking to see Studs come out sharp, he certainly has the tools around him. This year has the makings of something great.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seems almost unreal when you look at this team, how deep we are in some areas; Considering where we were a handful of year ago. Would still love to see more "proven" depth on O-line, which could happen this season. And Safety always makes me nervous. Will Blubaugh be playing safety? I know there was some concern about LB being young, but there seems to be a ton of potential, and our coaches have done a nice job with the LB core over the past several years, so I'm not as concerned about that.

Really looking to see Studs come out sharp, he certainly has the tools around him. This year has the makings of something great.

Experience aside, our defense is as athletic and talented as I've ever seen in the DI era. Now we need to see that translate to results on the field, especially in the middle from NT back to safety. As I drive through campus, it always warms my heart to see Disterhaupt and Nevermann walking and hanging out with one former #51 and to be reminded how good of friends they are. Some of his knowledge has got to be rubbing off on those two new ILBs as they prep for this season.

• Upvote 4

8 questions for the UND Defense in 2017:

1. Will the depth and talent on the DL take the pressure off our relatively inexperienced LB corps?

2. About those LBs -- whose going to step up and take the reigns in this group?  Lots of opportunities to be had. Gotta want it. Gotta seize it.

3. Will we ever get to see Dijon on the field?  He has the build; his JUCO HUDL tape indicates he has the quicks. But still lots of uncertainties there.

4. Can Disterhaupt and Rogers be difference makers in the middle and who reads the opposing offenses and gets alignments set?

5. Who starts opposite Reyes at safety?

6. Who are the likely candidates, if any, to have RS pulled? (Zeke, Larson, Blubaugh, etc.)

7. Will D. Harris take the next step in his progression toward playing on Sundays?

8. What will the hopeful return of Tyus Carter mean for the UND secondary, which clearly made significant improvements in 2016?

• Upvote 1