SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I think NAU will benefit from an easier schedule much like we did last year.  Will likely only have 1-2 conference loses all season.  If we expect to repeat, we will have to win at least 7 games next year I think.  

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think NAU will benefit from an easier schedule much like we did last year.  Will likely only have 1-2 conference loses all season.  If we expect to repeat, we will have to win at least 7 games next year I think.  

If we have continued success this year people will say about our schedule: Well you didn't plan Cal Poly or NAU so your schedule is weak. Book it.

• Upvote 2

Every year there will be a team that benefits from the schedule - wasn't it Southern Utah or Portland State two years ago, supposidly UND last year (but we actually played the top tier except EW), and Cal Poly this year. As we know you play your schedule and just win. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

If we have continued success this year people will say about our schedule: Well you didn't plan Cal Poly or NAU so your schedule is weak. Book it.

Maybe, but most of those rumblings came from Montana Grizz and E Wash fans. So long as we play those teams (even a bad Grizz team) then our schedule strength is ok.

19 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Maybe, but most of those rumblings came from Montana Grizz and E Wash fans. So long as we play those teams (even a bad Grizz team) then our schedule strength is ok.

There is a strong segment to the south of Grand Forks that pushed that narrative as well. 

I am simply predicting that if we have continued success there will be a fair amount of other teams fans that point to our schedule. I hope I am wrong but let's revisit this in late October.

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU and its fans will never acknowledge our success as legit. They always have an excuse for everything. 

If Bubba keeps winning everything will take care of itself.  I seem to remember Rocky Hager having the edge over Roger Thomas at one point too. ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

There is a strong segment to the south of Grand Forks that pushed that narrative as well. 

I am simply predicting that if we have continued success there will be a fair amount of other teams fans that point to our schedule. I hope I am wrong but let's revisit this in late October.

True, but they think every game in the "Big Fluffy" is weak. I don't take too much of what the trolls say seriously. Though I am looking forward to the MVFC myself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

This is where blowing that Richmond game really hurts, gives fuel to those who think we were over rated last year.  I just saw a guy from Fargo make a comment on the Facebook FCS Football Fans Nation page  make a comment how UND of 2016 was one of the biggest over ratings in the FCS in the past 10 years.   We need to win a couple of playoff games this year.  I agree with your thoughts though that if NAU has a big year this year, some people will say we avoided them and again proclaim we had a weak schedule.  At least EWU and Montana can't chirp this year as long as we beat them.  I wish we did play Poly because we know how to stop their running game, and now that their QB is gone I'd be less concerned about them beating us through the air, especially since we should be a little better this year in the secondary as long as there are no major injuries.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

This is where blowing that Richmond game really hurts, gives fuel to those who think we were over rated last year.  I just saw a guy from Fargo make a comment on the Facebook FCS Football Fans Nation page  make a comment how UND of 2016 was one of the biggest over ratings in the FCS in the past 10 years.   We need to win a couple of playoff games this year.  I agree with your thoughts though that if NAU has a big year this year, some people will say we avoided them and again proclaim we had a weak schedule.  At least EWU and Montana can't chirp this year as long as we beat them.  I wish we did play Poly because we know how to stop their running game, and now that their QB is gone I'd be less concerned about them beating us through the air, especially since we should be a little better this year in the secondary as long as there are no major injuries.  

I still cringe when I think about that second half. My initial thought was that I liked missing Poly because of playing Montana and EWU but I think you are right. Then again, we have some young OLB's so maybe this is the year to miss a team like Poly, at least early on? 

The Montana fans chirping last year still doesn't make sense to me because they were absolutely average last year. If anything they avoided us last year.

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I still cringe when I think about that second half. My initial thought was that I liked missing Poly because of playing Montana and EWU but I think you are right. Then again, we have some young OLB's so maybe this is the year to miss a team like Poly, at least early on? 

The Montana fans chirping last year still doesn't make sense to me because they were absolutely average last year. If anything they avoided us last year.

I do agree with you here, and we only have one ILB that has taken an FCS snap at that position.....and may be a little under sized at ILB which could have posed problems with their stud FB so for those reasons it's nice to avoid them.  That said, they only got back into the game with some long passes, and it very easily could have been 24-0 at halftime if I recall correctly.  Think we turned the ball over twice inside the 11 yard line in the first half.  With a new QB running the show, not as experienced at making reads, and probably not near as good of a passer as the guy they had last year, I like that matchup.  Definitely wouldn't be a gimme though, would still be a good game.  

• Upvote 1

I think any conference that plays a split schedule is subjected to some skepticism when top teams haven't played each other. Even UND fans are left to wonder how you matched up with EWU last year. Maybe well, maybe not so well, we'll never know. 

Same happens in the MVFC at times.

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think any conference that plays a split schedule is subjected to some skepticism when top teams haven't played each other. Even UND fans are left to wonder how you matched up with EWU last year. Maybe well, maybe not so well, we'll never know. 

Same happens in the MVFC at times.

No I'm pretty sure they would have mopped the floor with us. That's at least according to the Gospel of Dan.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

No I'm pretty sure they would have mopped the floor with us. That's at least according to the Gospel of Dan.

I think UND football took a nice step forward last year personally. Looked much improved from what I saw, especially later in the year. But you have to admit, UND's performance in the playoffs, combined with an overall poor showing in the playoffs from your conference mates, opens the door to the "pretender" conversation. I'm not saying it's true or isn't true, just that I believe given the circumstances it's fair to wonder if it's true.

17 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think UND football took a nice step forward last year personally. Looked much improved from what I saw, especially later in the year. But you have to admit, UND's performance in the playoffs, combined with an overall poor showing in the playoffs from your conference mates, opens the door to the "pretender" conversation. I'm not saying it's true or isn't true, just that I believe given the circumstances it's fair to wonder if it's true.

We didn't look like a pretender until the 4th quarter against that banged up Richmond team. We were eating their lunch in that game until we choked on it. This year I look forward to us avoiding the best teams in our terrible conference once again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

We didn't look like a pretender until the 4th quarter against that banged up Richmond team. We were eating their lunch in that game until we choked on it. This year I look forward to us avoiding the best teams in our terrible conference once again.

So you think UND showed definitive proof they were a top 10 team last year or did their performance, combined with the conferences' performance, leave some reasonable doubt for an objective viewer?

19 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So you think UND showed definitive proof they were a top 10 team last year or did their performance, combined with the conferences' performance, leave some reasonable doubt for an objective viewer?

Yes I do. I watched every snap and by the end of the year we were a top 10 team at least. 

32 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

When UND was playing the way Bubba would have them play, yes, and maybe more (like top 5). 

When they were "off", they weren't top 25. 

Consistency is something that needs to be worked on now that some of the core issues (like plain old having the personnel and scheme that works) have been dealt with. 

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yes I do. I watched every snap and by the end of the year we were a top 10 team at least. 

Fair enough.

But I think if you were able to view UND's season as a non UND fan, there would be some questions in your mind. As was stated above by a UND fan, losing that Richmond game left UND open to some questions.