SiouxSports.com Forum

Wings Up

planet2county

• 3 weeks later...

Can we please band together to stop the #WingsUp lingo?  I have seen it used multiple times the past few days in different applications associated with the athletic department. Since "Horns Up" is an established phrase of one of our biggest rivals it seems like we can and should do better than copy their phrase. 

5 minutes ago, TNF said:

Can we please band together to stop the #WingsUp lingo?  I have seen it used multiple times the past few days in different applications associated with the athletic department. Since "Horns Up" is an established phrase of one of our biggest rivals it seems like we can and should do better than copy their phrase. 

Our phrase is better.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TNF said:

They copy every saying/symbol that they use.   Not like they started it or anything.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TNF said:

I agree. That is the first thing that I thought of when I first heard it. It seems a little embarrassing for UND. 

49 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They copy every saying/symbol that they use.   Not like they started it or anything.  

Right, "____ Up" is there right alongside "Roll ____" and "____ Nation" as phrases almost every school uses. They are about as unoriginal as it gets (unless you are Alabama and actually created it).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I like to facetiously do "Talons Up" while holding up three fingers on each hand then do a downward motion. Swoop in there, hawks! :lol:

"Spread 'Em" was my first thought as in "Spread Your Wings" but I fully understand why that would be considered unacceptable in all cases. 

In all seriousness, I don't want to derail the thread or the goal of the campaign but we already have an unoriginal name so copying every other school (including NDSU) with one of the first campaigns was a little disheartening to me. 

4 hours ago, TNF said:

"Spread 'Em" was my first thought as in "Spread Your Wings" but I fully understand why that would be considered unacceptable in all cases. 

In all seriousness, I don't want to derail the thread or the goal of the campaign but we already have an unoriginal name so copying every other school (including NDSU) with one of the first campaigns was a little disheartening to me. 

When people say "roll tribe" they are copying Alabama's "roll tide".

6 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I like to facetiously do "Talons Up" while holding up three fingers on each hand then do a downward motion. Swoop in there, hawks! :lol:

So like ASU's forks up hand sign?

On 12/22/2016 at 8:57 PM, cberkas said:

When people say "roll tribe" they are copying Alabama's "roll tide".

So like ASU's forks up hand sign?

I thought some UND we were copying the Cleveland Indians. :)

I think #rolltribe is cool. Of course UMD fans hate it.