Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
UND92,96

UND to Summit/MVFC

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

North Dakota has only two division one schools; they are 70 miles apart and they first played each other in football in 1894. The two universities likely can succeed without being in the same conference (NDSU has proved they can, UND was still working on that; perhaps your stance is based on wanting to prove UND can do this?); however, it seems beyond logical that these two schools be in the same conference. 

Until NDSU bolts for greener pastures.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Mussman and his staff made those statement when UND first joined the Big Sky Conference. Those players that he recruited from those "non-traditional" regions were largely unsuccessful here at UND. Bubba and his staff recruit a MVFC blueprint, which is essentially the traditional regions of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Manitoba. Bubba and his staff support a MVFC move for this reason, among several others. 

And what's wrong with recruiting that footprint to the Big Sky? It sets us apart from those other schools.  Keep in mind that we are the furthest school away from this "MVFC footprint" as well.  

I think you're living a bit too much in the NCC days.  That was D2.  Hell Omaha got rid of football for D1.  Things are different and I like being the one school school off on own.  I'd love for another to join but this works.

Imagine the day when both ND basketball or volleyball schools make the dance the same year.  Won't happen if both in the same conference.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

 

Imagine the day when both ND basketball or volleyball schools make the dance the same year.  Won't happen if both in the same conference.

Or we could beat NDSU in order to reach the dance ... and we would actually have a decent contingent to witness it in Sioux Falls ....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Mussman and his staff made those statement when UND first joined the Big Sky Conference. Those players that he recruited from those "non-traditional" regions were largely unsuccessful here at UND. Bubba and his staff recruit a MVFC blueprint, which is essentially the traditional regions of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Manitoba. Bubba and his staff support a MVFC move for this reason, among several others. 

 I've never heard Bubba or anyone on his staff publicly express a conference preference, one way or the other.. Do you have a link to a published article or podcast on this? Details from a personal conversation with Bubba or one of his assistants? I recall hearing Bubba, in a post-signing day interview last winter or the year before, saying he was surprised at the positive reaction potential recruits had to the prospect of traveling to/playing at Big Sky schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Your negative bias against NDSU appears to be clouding your judgement, in my opinion.

Your obsession with NDSU appears to be clouding your judgement, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba and his staff recruit a MVFC blueprint, which is essentially the traditional regions of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Manitoba.

And how many MVFC or Summit schools are in North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Manitoba? Just one. And they seem to be your main concern. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Who says that North Dakota isn't in the footprint of the Big Sky Conference?!? 

As a matter of fact, that newscast must have been produced from one of those highlighted states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

 I would not count on them staying FCS.  Money talks and Fargo is growing fast. 

This is key. 

Fargo will build a new dome someday and it will be big enough for FBS. 

With that said, SDSU and/or USD likely won't have money and/or population to keep up with NDSU, it's a better long term strategy to align with local schools that are similar to UND.

UND really has no business being in a conference with two California teams.

Florida State University is closer to Grand Forks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This is key. 

Fargo will build a new dome someday and it will be big enough for FBS. 

With that said, SDSU and/or USD likely won't have money and/or population to keep up with NDSU, it's a better long term strategy to align with local schools that are similar to UND.

UND really has no business being in a conference with two California teams.

Florida State University is closer to Grand Forks.

Fargo and SU have big plans to be big time as I see it. Are some of these plans to shrink UND?  

The committee to cut athletic teams was you cut the teams so I don't look the bad guy  never mind.

UND has Presidents trying to rip it apart not grow it. UND down 2% this year. 

500 Million in deferred maintenance are you kidding me and there not trying to bulldoze UND.

Pay attention to cuts at UND that maybe coming and ask yourself is this in the best interest of UND.

GF votes down sales tax Fargo approves sales tax Fargo has a vision. Money for football stadium.

There are a lot of anti UND anti Grand Forks growth people planted in GF trying to tear down both.

Does Bubba want Missouri Valley football and if he does maybe he knows something you stay in the Big Sky people don't.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listen to radio stations in Fargo and almost all are pro Fargo they hardly ever ask the question where does all the money go.

iIn Grand Forks you have to account for every pencil. Radio stations play a huge role in public opinion.

There are people in the GF radio market that you ask the question why are you here.

The there all corrupt movement in Grand Forks government defeated the sales tax increase in GF.

Road funding is not coming here from the state and Feds. GF and UND will be hurt by this. 

More bad sh## for us in GF to deal with. If GF doesn't grow or prosper it will hurt UND.

And that's the plan hurt UND and GF.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SooToo said:

 I've never heard Bubba or anyone on his staff publicly express a conference preference, one way or the other.. Do you have a link to a published article or podcast on this? Details from a personal conversation with Bubba or one of his assistants? I recall hearing Bubba, in a post-signing day interview last winter or the year before, saying he was surprised at the positive reaction potential recruits had to the prospect of traveling to/playing at Big Sky schools.

 

From September 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4112877-qa-coach-schweigert-talks-football-and-und

Q. There is talk about UND changing athletic conferences. What's your preference—Missouri Valley or Big Sky?

I think the Big Sky has a lot of fun places to go play ... but both would make sense for us. If we were ever to get in and realign with South Dakota State, South Dakota and North Dakota State, it would make sense. It's a better experience for our fans, because they can travel to games. And I'm talking more than just football.

But once again, that's not my decision.

We can sell the Big Sky. When I was growing up, we wanted to kind of stay local. Now, when we tell kids we play in nine different states, they think that's really cool—going to nine different states to play.

We go to a lot of fun places to play. If you want to have fun, go to Montana State. They will cheer when you come in the lot, but their students really get after you when you come out on the field. It's a lot of fun, and it's really challenging to stay focused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The powers of the Big Sky Conference have been accused of being anti-UND; obviously they approved admission back in 2010, but they sort of belittle UND at times from what others say. For years people have spent quite a bit of time complaining about how Montana and Montana State belittled UND. Furthermore, schools like Sacramento State were huge opponents of UNDs when it came to travel and distance issues. UND is still the new guy in the conference and the Big Sky Conference powers could easily disregard UND in certain scenarios as well. 

Coach of the year vote will speak volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Until NDSU bolts for greener pastures.  

Where are they bolting, Mountain West, Big 10, Big 12, or Sun Belt. Answer to that is nope, yeah right, HAHA, and need an invite to that armpit of an FBS conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cratter said:

This is key. 

Fargo will build a new dome someday and it will be big enough for FBS. 

With that said, SDSU and/or USD likely won't have money and/or population to keep up with NDSU, it's a better long term strategy to align with local schools that are similar to UND.

UND really has no business being in a conference with two California teams.

Florida State University is closer to Grand Forks.

Sales tax just got extended for like another 100 years for flood projects. Yes we still have flood issues here. New dome is NOT coming to Fargo anytime soon, and as for NDSU coming up with the money, see SHAC and the use of bleachers from the old BSA due to lack of funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Sales tax just got extended for like another 100 years for flood projects. Yes we still have flood issues here. New dome is NOT coming to Fargo anytime soon, and as for NDSU coming up with the money, see SHAC and the use of bleachers from the old BSA due to lack of funding.

Irrelevant data. The Fargodome won't last 100 years.

You're telling me NDSU moved up from D2 to Division I, which cost a lot of money.....and a few years later could afford a multimillion dollar renovation to their basketball arena?! Impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the NDSU move will happen in the next 10+ years, that being said, I think our move to the Summit/MVFC is the right move. It just makes too much sense geographically, historically (NCC), and costly. Say all you want about us being new to Big Sky and playing in 9 differenent states all fun and games, but I personally would love to be playing NDSU USD SDSU on a regular basis. DII era for football was a fun time to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moser53 said:

I listen to radio stations in Fargo and almost all are pro Fargo they hardly ever ask the question where does all the money go.

iIn Grand Forks you have to account for every pencil. Radio stations play a huge role in public opinion.

There are people in the GF radio market that you ask the question why are you here.

The there all corrupt movement in Grand Forks government defeated the sales tax increase in GF.

Road funding is not coming here from the state and Feds. GF and UND will be hurt by this. 

More bad sh## for us in GF to deal with. If GF doesn't grow or prosper it will hurt UND.

And that's the plan hurt UND and GF.

 

 

The problem may include yourself the way you bash negatives and compare GF to the south. Where is your backing on these statements? Lot of nonsense talk here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Irrelevant data. The Fargodome won't last 100 years.

You're telling me NDSU moved up from D2 to Division I, which cost a lot of money.....and a few years later could afford a multimillion dollar renovation to their basketball arena?! Impressive.

And it took them how many years to raise the money for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moser53 said:

I listen to radio stations in Fargo and almost all are pro Fargo they hardly ever ask the question where does all the money go.

iIn Grand Forks you have to account for every pencil. Radio stations play a huge role in public opinion.

There are people in the GF radio market that you ask the question why are you here.

The there all corrupt movement in Grand Forks government defeated the sales tax increase in GF.

Road funding is not coming here from the state and Feds. GF and UND will be hurt by this. 

More bad sh## for us in GF to deal with. If GF doesn't grow or prosper it will hurt UND.

And that's the plan hurt UND and GF.

I agree with all this. But I don't think that is necessarily relevant to the topic at hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Is going to the MVFC part of the FBS plan in the Jubilee year?  

This is,all getting so confusing.

Youre doing it wrong.

SV said NDSU would have to folllow UND to the BSC. Remember? Oh and the the NCAA was going to make rule changes etc etc etc because the BSC had curried favor with them?

According to him it was already a done deal the BSC was moving.

 

I think we need some cliff notes.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cratter said:

Irrelevant data. The Fargodome won't last 100 years.

You're telling me NDSU moved up from D2 to Division I, which cost a lot of money.....and a few years later could afford a multimillion dollar renovation to their basketball arena?! Impressive.

Fargodome opened in 1992

Fargo Flood 1997

NDSU in DI 2004

Fargo Flood 2009

NDSU opens SHAC 2016

NDSU took a long time to secure funding for a basketball arena and had to use pieces of the old one due to not enough money.  They aren't going anywhere for quite a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Clearly, they have cause to be upset. After all, we broke the "move up pact" that the schools had, right?

As to the football scheduling, my recollection was that losing to them would have had playoff implications in the DII era.

For the first year yes. They changed the criteria the following year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah the following year they were more than willing to play us with their increased number of scholarships and ability to recruit DI kids - they had all the advantages and had just finished 10 years of getting pummeled by us.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...