SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally! I don't say that to slight football in the least. I love both, and if it came down to it I would bring a second tv into the living room to watch both. It wouldn't be the first time.

But in terms of on site fans having to pick one or the other to be at. Hockey will generally win out. I know some fans don't like it, but the fact is Hockey is the #1 sport at UND, and even if UND football went on a NDSU type run, it would be hard to replace that (granted if that happened, I think you would see top notch support for both programs). But given this is the first banner to be raised in so long, people would go to hockey over football. Having the game at 1:00 was the right thing to do. Though I agree with others on here, and have slightly changed my perspective on this; If UND can schedule evening games that do not conflict with hockey, they should!!

The problem is that some people think hockey being #1 means absolutely nothing else matters. That is not the kind of attitude that breeds success throughout the athletic department. And if we don't give "top notch support" for FB now, a run of FCS titles will never happen. I like what President Kennedy is pushing for: quality over quantity. If cutting 2 to 3 sports helps us better fund FB, MBB and WBB, I am all for it.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The problem is that some people think hockey being #1 means absolutely nothing else matters. That is not the kind of attitude that breeds success throughout the athletic department. And if we don't give "top notch support" for FB now, a run of FCS titles will never happen. I like what President Kennedy is pushing for: quality over quantity. If cutting 2 to 3 sports helps us better fund FB, MBB and WBB, I am all for it.

True, but you can't force a bunch of hockey fans to love football (especially football on a smaller scale). For some people, it just comes down to personal preference, and that won't change.

There are so many types of fans:

Specific sport fans - (Hockey fans, Football fans, NFL fans, College football fans, FBS football fans, FCS football fans, Basketball fans, NBA fans, College basketball fans, etc.)

Casual fans - Fans that will go to a game or two for fun with friends or to tailgate, but otherwise don't follow the team the sport, and could give you the name of a single player.

UND Fans - Will attend or follow UND athletics, regardless of the specific sport, or the success.

Band Wagon fans - Only go to the most popular sport that is winning most frequently.

Hardcore fans - A lot of people on this board. You know the team, you know the development, you know the recruits. You fight through poor internet streams to watch your team. etc. etc.

Obviously there are plenty of other categories as well, but I think we also have to cut some people some slack. Even for fans who love sports in general, it is hard to find time for all sports. Hockey is, and will be, the most popular event in GF. It gets attention on a national scale in terms of college hockey, and even recognition through the NHL. NFL consumes many peoples Sundays, Monday nights, and even Thurs nights. Aside from those events, a lot of people do have families that they spend time with, kids sporting events, other events for kids, household responsibilities, etc. My point is, for many, there a limit to how much they are willing to prioritize going to a sporting event.

Now that I am done playing devil's advocate, I would certainly like more people to support the football and basketball teams, IN ADDITION to the hockey team. Unfortunately, winning solves problems. For many who have the previously mentioned life obligations, they don't want to come watch UND barely beat a Drake team, they'll wait until UND is highly ranked, and 4-0 or 5-1, with some relevance. I'm not saying that is right, but it is more realistic. (ex. look at the basketball team last year ... when they started winning and making some noise in the Big Sky, people showed up. Crowd against Weber was outstanding, and what you would like the program to get to on a regular basis.)

In terms of quality over quantity, I agree 100%. I think our athletic department is stretched too thin, and needs a more narrow focus overall. I hate cutting sports that exist, because it eliminates opportunities for some kids, but when you are talking about the athletic department as a business, you need to make smart decisions regarding your non-revenue generating sports.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I get tired of the comparisons to NDSU, but they did not always have top notch support either. They may have had more than UND, but it was not always top notch. With in-laws that are, and always have been, big Bison fans, I've been to several NDSU tailgating events. Only 4-5 years ago, their tailgating wasn't even half of the size that it is now.

Winning almost always breeds support, whereas Support does not always breed winning. Again, I'm not saying it is right, but it is hard to convince a lot of people to give their time to provide top notch support for a program who has not yet proven themselves to be elite. 

UND football needs to continue improving (which they are doing), they need to keep investing in the program and the production of the events (game production, tailgating, etc), and as both improve so will the fan base.

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it up to Grand Forks or not this weekend. Does anyone know which bars in Fargo would show the UND football game? Or would most of them have it?

Since the game is on Midco you might want to find a bar in West Fargo. I am pretty sure Cable one is the fargo provider and they do not carry midco sports net. Double check on this but I believe this to be the case.

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Since the game is on Midco you might want to find a bar in West Fargo. I am pretty sure Cable one is the fargo provider and they do not carry midco sports net. Double check on this but I believe this to be the case.

Appreciate it, we'll be staying with my in-laws in Fargo; and I believe you are correct, they have cable one and do not get the game. At least I should be able to get the hockey game online. I'll call a few places to double check. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Appreciate it, we'll be staying with my in-laws in Fargo; and I believe you are correct, they have cable one and do not get the game. At least I should be able to get the hockey game online. I'll call a few places to double check. Thanks again.

Midco is in South Fargo now.  Call some those bars down there to see if they switched over.  

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I get tired of the comparisons to NDSU, but they did not always have top notch support either. They may have had more than UND, but it was not always top notch. With in-laws that are, and always have been, big Bison fans, I've been to several NDSU tailgating events. Only 4-5 years ago, their tailgating wasn't even half of the size that it is now.

Winning almost always breeds support, whereas Support does not always breed winning. Again, I'm not saying it is right, but it is hard to convince a lot of people to give their time to provide top notch support for a program who has not yet proven themselves to be elite. 

UND football needs to continue improving (which they are doing), they need to keep investing in the program and the production of the events (game production, tailgating, etc), and as both improve so will the fan base.

I was talking about financial support to fund coaches salaries, recruiting, etc. If that isn't there, the wins won't be there.

And you better get used to comparisons to NDSU because they are our sister institution in North Dakota and the region. It's the best measuring stick we have, albeit not perfect.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I was talking about financial support to fund coaches salaries, recruiting, etc. If that isn't there, the wins won't be there.

And you better get used to comparisons to NDSU because they are our sister institution in North Dakota and the region. It's the best measuring stick we have, albeit not perfect.

Totally agree with you in terms of increasing financial support, which as was mentioned, will come with narrowing the focus of the athletic department. It may even come down to conference affiliation and limiting travel costs, but that is a who other discussion.

Any you are correct, in terms of comparisons to NDSU. The only reason I don't like the comparison is it often is not relevant. Not many programs, at least football programs, can truly compare themselves to what NDSU has done. At least not realistically. I think there are a lot of comparisons that we can try to make, or UND can try to replicate, but in terms of outright success, W/L, # of championship (or consecutive championships) ... they have done something that may not be seen again in this lifetime .... barf.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Totally agree with you in terms of increasing financial support, which as was mentioned, will come with narrowing the focus of the athletic department. It may even come down to conference affiliation and limiting travel costs, but that is a who other discussion.

Any you are correct, in terms of comparisons to NDSU. The only reason I don't like the comparison is it often is not relevant. Not many programs, at least football programs, can truly compare themselves to what NDSU has done. At least not realistically. I think there are a lot of comparisons that we can try to make, or UND can try to replicate, but in terms of outright success, W/L, # of championship (or consecutive championships) ... they have done something that may not be seen again in this lifetime .... barf.

Well, Bubba and his staff are going to do whatever they can to bring home an FCS title. Think big and you will likely have success. Think small and that is what you will have to settle for.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, Bubba and his staff are going to do whatever they can to bring home an FCS title. Think big and you will likely have success. Think small and that is what you will have to settle for.

I'm not saying Bubba won't get a championship. I have faith that this staff is doing exactly what they need to for that discussion.

Setting an expectation for 5 or 6 straight championships is unrealistic. Let get the first one, then talk about multiple.

Same goes for hockey, we got last seasons, now lets get back to back.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it up to Grand Forks or not this weekend. Does anyone know which bars in Fargo would show the UND football game? Or would most of them have it?

I believe the bisens are playing at 1:00 as well, so you are not going to have much luck finding a Fargo bar showing the UND game.  Being it's the bisens homecoming, I'd stay out of Fargo altogether if I was you. ;)

4 minutes ago, Westside said:

I believe the bisens are playing at 1:00 as well, so you are not going to have much luck finding a Fargo bar showing the UND game.  Being it's the bisens homecoming, I'd stay out of Fargo altogether if I was you. ;)

They will put the UND game on a TV or two.  Just ask nicely (it worked for me in the past). The bartenders are in control of the remotes and they are not all football fans.  :D

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Westside said:

oh, I am aware. I'm heading up to see Bison in-laws. I'll probably be at their tailgating, which is actually a great time, but I'll be sporting my UND gear!

When I went last year, I actually went to the game, and bestowed my luck on them, resulting in a loss to South Dakota. Would love to be the same kind of factor this year, but I'd prefer to watch UND game.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hit Blarney Stone or Spitfire in West Fargo.  I know for a fact both have Midco.  Blarney will have sound (though probably Bison sound) and is much bigger, but Spitfire is owned by a Sioux Alum (he'll be at the game in GF, but still) and the GM played hockey for Duluth.  Lots of Bison at both, but you can usually get a TV turned for you.  Better beer at Blarney, better food at Spitfire :tossup: 

A couple new places on Veterans' that I don't know what you'll get for viewing, would be BLVD and Brickhouse Tavern.  Brickhouse has good pizzas (I've eaten at the location in Moorhead).

2 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Hit Blarney Stone or Spitfire in West Fargo.  I know for a fact both have Midco.  Blarney will have sound (though probably Bison sound) and is much bigger, but Spitfire is owned by a Sioux Alum (he'll be at the game in GF, but still) and the GM played hockey for Duluth.  Lots of Bison at both, but you can usually get a TV turned for you.  Better beer at Blarney, better food at Spitfire :tossup: 

A couple new places on Veterans' that I don't know what you'll get for viewing, would be BLVD and Brickhouse Tavern.  Brickhouse has good pizzas (I've eaten at the location in Moorhead).

If blarney stone and you like whiskey drinks ask about their whiskey with cinnamon and apple slices bathing in it. I forget what it's called but a double tall of that with lemonade is unreal. Need to be careful though because it goes down way too easy.

8 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Good call, I loved Spitfire when I lived up there, and do recall meeting the owner before. Thanks for the heads up.

May have to try Blarney Stone though, as I haven't been there before.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If blarney stone and you like whiskey drinks ask about their whiskey with cinnamon and apple slices bathing in it. I forget what it's called but a double tall of that with lemonade is unreal. Need to be careful though because it goes down way too easy.

Sounds good, may have to try it. Thanks!

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

True, but you can't force a bunch of hockey fans to love football (especially football on a smaller scale). For some people, it just comes down to personal preference, and that won't change.

There are so many types of fans:

Specific sport fans - (Hockey fans, Football fans, NFL fans, College football fans, FBS football fans, FCS football fans, Basketball fans, NBA fans, College basketball fans, etc.)

Casual fans - Fans that will go to a game or two for fun with friends or to tailgate, but otherwise don't follow the team the sport, and could give you the name of a single player.

UND Fans - Will attend or follow UND athletics, regardless of the specific sport, or the success.

Band Wagon fans - Only go to the most popular sport that is winning most frequently.

Hardcore fans - A lot of people on this board. You know the team, you know the development, you know the recruits. You fight through poor internet streams to watch your team. etc. etc.

Obviously there are plenty of other categories as well, but I think we also have to cut some people some slack. Even for fans who love sports in general, it is hard to find time for all sports. Hockey is, and will be, the most popular event in GF. It gets attention on a national scale in terms of college hockey, and even recognition through the NHL. NFL consumes many peoples Sundays, Monday nights, and even Thurs nights. Aside from those events, a lot of people do have families that they spend time with, kids sporting events, other events for kids, household responsibilities, etc. My point is, for many, there a limit to how much they are willing to prioritize going to a sporting event.

Now that I am done playing devil's advocate, I would certainly like more people to support the football and basketball teams, IN ADDITION to the hockey team. Unfortunately, winning solves problems. For many who have the previously mentioned life obligations, they don't want to come watch UND barely beat a Drake team, they'll wait until UND is highly ranked, and 4-0 or 5-1, with some relevance. I'm not saying that is right, but it is more realistic. (ex. look at the basketball team last year ... when they started winning and making some noise in the Big Sky, people showed up. Crowd against Weber was outstanding, and what you would like the program to get to on a regular basis.)

In terms of quality over quantity, I agree 100%. I think our athletic department is stretched too thin, and needs a more narrow focus overall. I hate cutting sports that exist, because it eliminates opportunities for some kids, but when you are talking about the athletic department as a business, you need to make smart decisions regarding your non-revenue generating sports.

Football is the most popular sport in America, which includes North Dakota. Grand Forks is a bit of a hockey niche, with hockey being a type of cultural favorite, but even so, UND football can draw a ton of fans if it wins consistently. How? Because it is football -- that simple; most popular sport overall. NDSU football has exploded in popularity because it has done "big time" things that the football fans of this region and state have always been primed to support. UND can join those ranks, too. From strictly a UND supporter standpoint, football can consistently draw large crowds if the product on the field is consistently winning. UND fans, alumni, and students would love to be associated with a top 10 FCS football program that gets positive publicity on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Football is the most popular sport in America, which includes North Dakota. Grand Forks is a bit of a hockey niche, with hockey being a type of cultural favorite, but even so, UND football can draw a ton of fans if it wins consistently. How? Because it is football -- that simple; most popular sport overall. NDSU football has exploded in popularity because it has done "big time" things that the football fans of this region and state have always been primed to support. UND can join those ranks, too. From strictly a UND supporter standpoint, football can consistently draw large crowds if the product on the field is consistently winning. UND fans, alumni, and students would love to be associated with a top 10 FCS football program that gets positive publicity on a regular basis. 

Completely agree. Pretty much my point, fan support and following, follows winning and success.

Quote from Bubba

"As always, we will build on the positives and address negatives of each performance.  We need to eliminate penalties!  We need to take advantage of scoring opportunities when we get field position in our opponents, this will create momentum for our team.  We also need to eliminate explosive pass plays, these plays give our opponent momentum.  These three concerns need to improve as we get ready for our next conference opponent."

• Upvote 1