SiouxSports.com Forum

Stony Brook Seawolves

geaux_sioux

18 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

That's about where I'm at. I'm thinking 20-14 (UND).  Although, I think the defense may need to be the determinant in this one.  Offense may take a game or two to hit it's stride.

This is my thinking as well.  A lot hinges on a inexperienced o line going up against a very good front 7 that is at home. Although the starting 5 are very talented, it might take a couple games for them to get the cohesive real game time experience to play to their ability. And Coe needs to stick every snap......very crucial!! 

The defense is going to bring it!!  Absoulutely love the front seven!!  Stony loves to run .....Unds loves teams to run, going to be a blood bath in the trenches!!  Can't wait 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I believe you have to sign up for a free 30 day trial, will auto charge after 30 days so set a reminder on your calendar to cancel it.

Thanks I couldn't find a thirty day trial option but did see the two months for the price of one option. If you go to their site the und-stony brook game is listed as free though so maybe no subscription needed?

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Thanks I couldn't find a thirty day trial option but did see the two months for the price of one option. If you go to their site the und-stony brook game is listed as free though so maybe no subscription needed?

I did see that. I remember using this college sports live streaming service for an away game a couple years ago and had to sign up for a free trial. Listing shows it as free so hopefully no need to jump through the trial hoops.

27 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I did see that. I remember using this college sports live streaming service for an away game a couple years ago and had to sign up for a free trial. Listing shows it as free so hopefully no need to jump through the trial hoops.

I think it depends on the school.  I was able to look at their old games/highlights on the Roku app for free.  Some schools wanted login info.

PASSING  GP  Effic  Cmp-Att-Int  Pct  Yards   TD  Long  Avg/G 
C. Bednarski   109.9  82-155-2  52.9  864  70  96.0 
Joe Carbone   86.4  63-122-8  51.6  617  41  68.6 
Total..........  10  99.6  145-277-10  52.3  1481  70  148.1 

The passing stats for Stony Brook from last year. The QB Carbone is athletic but his stats from last year are encouraging for our d. Also they don't have any experience behind him. Not sure what all of their transfers will add to their offense but I think we can get Carbone to rush things and make mistakes.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The passing stats for Stony Brook from last year. The QB Carbone is athletic but his stats from last year are encouraging for our d. Also they don't have any experience behind him. Not sure what all of their transfers will add to their offense but I think we can get Carbone to rush things and make mistakes.

Agreed. Both defenses should be good, but I'll definitely give the edge to us in comparing offenses.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He will see a heavy dose of green in his grill.  He better be athletic for him to survive 

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's definitely nice to know that should our offense sputter a bit this first game that SB offense plays right into our strength on defense.  Let's make the QB nervous and make him through a pick. 

• Upvote 1

My gut is telling me that we are really going to get after things on defense, and their QB is going to have one of those games where he felt like he never had a chance.....there was always pressure or somebody in his face, sacks, knock downs etc..   Well that is my hope anyway. :)

• Upvote 3

First game is always a tone setter -- just remember last year's game against Wyoming. 

I'm a bit nervous for this ball game. Both teams want to play the same style and Stony Brook has the homefield advantage.

First games usually come down to the basics/fundamentals (blocking, tackling, turnovers, and penalties) due to limited chemistry/timing

If UND plays disciplined like a veteran team, which in some aspects they are, then the Hawks should leave New York with a hard fought win.

Of course, I hope for a lopsided score in UND's favor but not sure how realistic that is; will have to see this version of Bubba Ball in an actual game before judging that for future contests. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

First game is always a tone setter -- just remember last year's game against Wyoming. 

I'm a bit nervous for this ball game. Both teams want to play the same style and Stony Brook has the homefield advantage.

First games usually come down to the basics/fundamentals (blocking, tackling, turnovers, and penalties) due to limited chemistry/timing

If UND plays disciplined like a veteran team, which in some aspects they are, then the Hawks should leave New York with a hard fought win.

Of course, I hope for a lopsided score in UND's favor but not sure how realistic that is; will have to see this version of Bubba Ball in an actual game before judging that for future contests. 

I'm nervous too.

They have Homefield and some of the first game jitters may be lessened because of that.

I just don't want to see any UND TO's. I think that's a key as we let the D dictate field position.

I am confident, but also nervous at the same time.....if that makes any sense.  The last two years we struggled at the beginning of the year, however this is the third year in Bubba's system so I think that will help us have a better start than the past two years and play more fundamentally sound football in the first couple of games than in the past.  They do have home field advantage, but after wins at Wyoming and Portland St. going on the road doesn't worry as much as it did going into last year.  Now....can we go on the road when we are favored, and beat a solid team....we'll find out.  You could add that Cal Poly game last year to the list of really good road performances. 

I think we all still may have some leftover nervousness at times from Muss's regime when we had some really bad games on the road. 

• Upvote 1

I think the reason most people are nervous here, is not actually because of whom we are playing but more because for the first time in a long time there are some lofty expectations for the football season, and we don't want to see those expectations suffer an immediate hit. That is more of what makes me nervous for the game.

When I actually look at the matchup, I feel a little more comfortable. Not a sure win kind of confidence; not like Sioux hockey playing Alabama-Huntsville kind of confidence; but overall I like what I see. They clearly have a strong defense, particularly in the run. I see Bubba sticking to the run game and wearing them down. Remember we don't just have an All-American in Santiago, we also have Oliveira, Norberg, Neverman and Gordon. That is a lot of big, powerful and strong depth to keep throwing at a defense. Keaton really took a step forward last season and proved why he was the clear cut starter; this year he has more depth at WR and TE (anxious to see Cloyd, but hope he redshirts). The only real question I have on offense is the O-Line. Naturally I wish we had Grady, but that is one guy. I still think we have a pretty good group.

As for defense, we know what we have. Thin but strong at safety. Reyes and Arnell should be solid. Palmborg played really well for a true freshman last season. Front 7 don't need to be discussed. Definitely towards the top in the FCS. The only area that is suspect is a very young, unproven group of corners. Hopefully Stepps is having an impact, and hopefully our safeties can step in to hedge some of their mistakes. This worries me more in games 2 and 3; but we are playing a group who wants to run, and who's QB threw few TDs and several interceptions last season.

Probably not going to be a huge lopsided score, especially in a first game, but I still take UND 24-10. If UND can create some separation early and get some momentum there is a chance they could roll. Again, what scares me is not Stony Brook, but the idea that our lofty expectation could take a hit early.

• Upvote 3

Stony plays in a very good conference that sees very good teams on a weekly basis.  Their offense is the issue as to why they can never crack a playoff spot. Defense wise, stony brings it every game and will undoubtedly be Unds toughest opponent all year. If und truly wants to be known in the fcs world these are the types of games they NEED to win to be recognized as a playoff worthy team.  Bubba has them focused an ready and now it's up to the players to get it done on the field Thursday.  Having a junior qb that is a captain in his 3rd year of playing/ starting is an absolute huge plus for und! Leader!  If the o line plays to their potential right out of the gate, und could win comfortably and if they don't.....this will be a dog fight.  

No mistakes and no injuries!! 

• Upvote 2

Be prepared for an offensive struggle, not just this game, all year. Keaton is awesome, keeps getting better. Santiago is an absolute stud we all know that. But that O line is about to have a mad struggle session. AJ and the new center will be fine. Demon just needs to play and he will be fine. But Dan Bell and Matt Cox...not even close to ready. They will hurt the offense, experience will help them a little bit, but put an average big sky d lineman in front of those two, and that d lineman will be licking his chops.  I would honestly rather see Aplin in there, even though he is short he is very strong and physical, with a mean streak. He will actually move someone with a purpose, Matt and Dan will be hugging and chest blocking us out of games. You heard it here first.