SiouxSports.com Forum

GOOD MORNING National Champion Fans!

Frozen4sioux

27 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Felt gr8ness was about to happen after Schmaltz's goal in the DU game. The excruciating feelings of doom turning into joyful pandemonium was truly an awesome thrill ride.

That definitely was a major twist of fate that told us maybe, just maybe, this time it would be different.

Been re-reading old game day threads from this season. Which has made me realize how fortunate and spoiled we were as fans. We didn't have to watch this team lose a whole lot and when they did, they bounced back. I think the biggest test was seeing how UND would respond to getting swept at Denver. There was that Wisconsin loss which was an anomaly but that was a small blip on the radar.

And of course, there was the disappointment of the Frozen Faceoff. But with that said, I don't think it was a bad thing. Every NCHC team that has won the Frozen Faceoff tournament so far has went on to lose in the first game of the NCAA tournament.

Enjoy that Frozen Faceoff banner, Jan!

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Been re-reading old game day threads from this season. Which has made me realize how fortunate and spoiled we were as fans. We didn't have to watch this team lose a whole lot and when they did, they bounced back. I think the biggest test was seeing how UND would respond to getting swept at Denver. There was that Wisconsin loss which was an anomaly but that was a small blip on the radar.

And of course, there was the disappointment of the Frozen Faceoff. But with that said, I don't think it was a bad thing. Every NCHC team that has won the Frozen Faceoff tournament so far has went on to lose in the first game of the NCAA tournament.

I honestly wasn't worried about getting swept at DU. Maybe it was because guys were just coming off injury or that we never do well at elevation. Plus I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) the 99-00 team was swept in Denver.

31 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I honestly wasn't worried about getting swept at DU. Maybe it was because guys were just coming off injury or that we never do well at elevation. Plus I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) the 99-00 team was swept in Denver.

And the Friday game was an extremely good game that we just happened to lose. Happens when you play a good opponent. Then Saturday can be attributed to Nick and Drake possibly not having there legs completely back after just returning from injuries and the difficulty of playing in the high altitude. That weekend didn't worry me at all. I was frustrated, as I am sure most were, with the Wisconsin game. That was just a fluke. The one game that really angered me during the season was the Friday against Omaha. I felt like we lost to a really bad team (and I was saying this at the time) and it was because we played bad. The only time all season where I was frustrated with the team. That's a pretty impressive season when only one game can stick out in your mind as being particularly bad.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< slowly raises hand > 

Uh ... I wasn't there yet at 4-1. I feared giving up two quick ones and then playing the last minute or so in pure desperation mode. 

When Pogo scored, I knew. 

Man, we think alike--my thoughts exactly. 

27 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

And the Friday game was an extremely good game that we just happened to lose. Happens when you play a good opponent. Then Saturday can be attributed to Nick and Drake possibly not having there legs completely back after just returning from injuries and the difficulty of playing in the high altitude. That weekend didn't worry me at all. I was frustrated, as I am sure most were, with the Wisconsin game. That was just a fluke. The one game that really angered me during the season was the Friday against Omaha. I felt like we lost to a really bad team (and I was saying this at the time) and it was because we played bad. The only time all season where I was frustrated with the team. That's a pretty impressive season when only one game can stick out in your mind as being particularly bad.

You're right, the game at DU Fri was the one we should of had to gain the split.  DU playing well and we struggle a bit there so figured going into Sat almost right off the bat (since Fri was really our "win") we were looking at a sweep.

14 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

We have been spoiled as fans for many years.  Year in and year out, week in and week out, our boys have been playing top level hockey.  Very few programs are as consistently top notch.   It's nice to win it all this year, but being able to watch exciting, winning hockey every weekend for . . . well, dam near always . . . is a huge priviledge.

• Upvote 4

I've watched the first and third periods of the natty game probably a dozen times.  I watched the second period a couple times, and that's actually pretty entertaining, too.  I was laid up the other night, so I decided to watch the Denver game in its entirety, which I don't think I had done since it was live.  I'll have to check out the NE and Mich games on Youtube at some point, as I don't have those on the DVR.

23 hours ago, dagies said:

Same here.  Was afraid of almost the same thing.  

That's where I was at, too.  I was watching with my dad, and told him that I wouldn't be satisfied until the clock was at 0:00.  He told me, "you're sick!"

12 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

They were also suffering from the flu when they traveled to Denver. Not used as an excuse, but they weren't very healthy that week. 

On 5/24/2016 at 7:59 AM, The Sicatoka said:

< slowly raises hand > 

Uh ... I wasn't there yet at 4-1. I feared giving up two quick ones and then playing the last minute or so in pure desperation mode. 

When Pogo scored, I knew. 

11 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Man, we think alike--my thoughts exactly. 

There was nearly a fight between a couple of my drunk friends over this. One was celebrating the win after the goal to make it 4-1 and the other was still convinced we would some how screw it up, especially if he started celebrating too early.

11 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

One was celebrating the win after the goal to make it 4-1 ...

People I was with.

11 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

... still convinced we would some how screw it up, especially if he started celebrating too early.

Me. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I've watched the first and third periods of the natty game probably a dozen times.  I watched the second period a couple times, and that's actually pretty entertaining, too.  I was laid up the other night, so I decided to watch the Denver game in its entirety, which I don't think I had done since it was live.  I'll have to check out the NE and Mich games on Youtube at some point, as I don't have those on the DVR.

It really is worth your time to watch them all. I forgot how much we dominated both NU and Michigan. Holy smokes that team wanted to get back to the Four.

DU was a war and QU just never had a chance after we got past the Pios. We wanted it too much.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

No doubt, our hated rival DU and fellow NCHC member, gave us the toughest test in the NCAA tourney.  I do not like DU (nor green eggs and ham) and their fans (what few there are) chatter about ND on blogs, but they ended up the second best team in the country (hard to be believe after their performance at the Ralph in Dec). 

Jim Montgomery and the Pios gained a lot of respect from this guy this year. Great team. But, ultimately, we were the better one. Kudos to those boys. They'll be right there with us as favorites in the NCHC this coming season.

It is not by accident that DU has so many banners.  It's been a top program for a loooong time. 

And that's great, IMO.  The better our conference mates are, the better the hockey we get to watch on a weekly basis and the more prepared we are when the tournament rolls around. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

It is not by accident that DU has so many banners.  It's been a top program for a loooong time. 

And that's great, IMO.  The better our conference mates are, the better the hockey we get to watch on a weekly basis and the more prepared we are when the tournament rolls around. 

True, but I still wouldn't mind if Denver lost Moore or Gambrell on top of already losing Heinen. ;)   Has Butcher said if he was staying or not?  

• Upvote 1