SiouxSports.com Forum

We are the champions!!! Finally

cowboys5xsbs

If you can look objectively at this championship. What was different. The coach. Was it the system, or the ability to motivate?  I'm not sure, but in the latter years of Coach Hakstol, it seemed to be more about him.....than the team.  Berry seems to deflect attention and credit to players. 

For you SIOUX FOREVER fans.  I remember  sweatshirts and yard signs stating REDSKINS. FOREVER when GF Central changed names.  Talked to a '30 something ' college grad who did not even know Central was the Redskins....in a few years Sioux will be remembered in UND history, just like Flickertails....time and society moves on!!!!!!  Mark it down.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

6 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

What was different? 11 freshmen, including Brock Boeser one of the top players in college hockey, along with several other freshman that played large roles. A goalie group with about 43 minutes of total college experience when the season started. A head coach with no experience as a head coach. An assistant coach from outside the UND hockey "family". A lot of things were "different" this year. It wasn't just a different coach.

Good reply, did you listen to KNOX today? Someone said "the people talking bad about Hak, saying his departure is why they won, are people that maybe watch 2-3 games a year" I laughed...and agree! The three guys I talked to at work said that today, I see them multiple times a week all season long and they NEVER talk hockey! They did today though...ha-ha.

22 hours ago, rockbear99 said:

Congratulations to the UND Fighting Hawks on bringing another National Championship to North Dakota. So glad to see it happen once Hakstol was gone. Good job Coach Berry.

Wow, you're -22 already. Way to troll along. 

19 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Good reply, did you listen to KNOX today? Someone said "the people talking bad about Hak, saying his departure is why they won, are people that maybe watch 2-3 games a year" I laughed...and agree! The three guys I talked to at work said that today, I see them multiple times a week all season long and they NEVER talk hockey! They did today though...ha-ha.

Let me guess, it was on J.T.'s show?

13 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Yes, why do you say that?

Because I was one his show defending coach Hakstol 3-4 years ago. I am pretty sure it was after a loss against Yale. For the last 15 years, each year seemed to end like last. I was almost like he had gotten his talking points from Sioux Sports and Twitter. He was advocating firing if his team didn't win an NCAA title in the next 3-5 years. 

2 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Anyone else having trouble with the undsports stream?

No, must be on your end. :)

Just now, Cratter said:

Tells me doesn't work with mobile....I'm about to board the plane leaving Tampa, so I hope they post it on youtube.

• Upvote 1

Dave B:

Your article shows amazing data. I have followed Sioux since 1976- some weak years then, but still had Taylor-Smail-Patrick-Iwabuci et al. Now with tickets since new Ralph- finally got to see games again and since 2001. Lots of them.

But you really stated what I have felt: we may not win a "natty" every year, but we see amazing players and teams every year.  No program has shown that overall consistency.  Thanks to the players for each year we have been privileged to watch. 

And double thanks to this years crew! Hope you all come back for another go. 

43 minutes ago, Goon said:

Because I was one his show defending coach Hakstol 3-4 years ago. Each year seemed like the last. , I think it was after UND lost to Yale and it was like he had gotten his talking points from Sioux Sports and Twitter. He was advocating firing if his team didn't win an NCAA title in the next 3-5 years. 

Really, I didn't get that impression that he was for Hak leaving. He seemed like he was defending Hak in what I heard. His one quote was "Berry came into the kitchen with the cupboards already filled". Not taking anything away from Berry, but also was not saying #8 was won just because of Berry.

Seemed like he was taking shots at the people that were blaming Hak. I missed some of it though...

My 1st Post: Been a Diehard SIOUX fan since my freshman year (1970) at this flagship institution of ND. A season ticket holder and watched hockey games at all 3 of the schools arenas. I communicate a lot with Alumni my age; and reading posts from all you over the last few years has really been a treat. Thank You all, so very much. This has made my hockey experience that much better. There is so much to be proud of. Thank You: Coaches, Players, support staff, and past Coaches. Let's enjoy this one! The Natty is getting harder and harder to bring home because of such great competition. We all know we'll have a good team next year, but so will many other teams.  Now, looking back at the last four games, one feels really good.  But what would of happened (with a 2-2 score in the Denver game with about 6 minutes left when refs were deliberating a 2 or 5 minute penalty on UND) if the refs would have called a 5 minute penalty? Some say refs were not good to us. Well the refs got the most important call of the tournament right.  ENJOY Family!!!!!

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

My 1st Post: Been a Diehard SIOUX fan since my freshman year (1970) at this flagship institution of ND. A season ticket holder and watched hockey games at all 3 of the schools arenas. I communicate a lot with Alumni my age; and reading posts from all you over the last few years has really been a treat. Thank You all, so very much. This has made my hockey experience that much better. There is so much to be proud of. Thank You: Coaches, Players, support staff, and past Coaches. Let's enjoy this one! The Natty is getting harder and harder to bring home because of such great competition. We all know we'll have a good team next year, but so will many other teams.  Now, looking back at the last four games, one feels really good.  But what would of happened (with a 2-2 score in the Denver game with about 6 minutes left when refs were deliberating a 2 or 5 minute penalty on UND) if the refs would have called a 5 minute penalty? Some say refs were not good to us. Well the refs got the most important call of the tournament right.  ENJOY Family!!!!!

Absolutely correct on all your points! You must be about my age (64). Graduated in 74' from Mayville State, but got to be a huge Sioux fan while teaching at Warroad, MN. I held my breath when the refs were debating the 2 vs.5...whew.

UND was gassed at that point.  With Luke out and a lot of guys double-shifting, it wore on them.  That break they got while the refs reviewed that hit was the best thing at that point.  After that, they had their legs back a bit and finished the game strong.

4 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Absolutely correct on all your points! You must be about my age (64). Graduated in 74' from Mayville State, but got to be a huge Sioux fan while teaching at Warroad, MN. I held my breath when the refs were debating the 2 vs.5...whew.

Just turned 64 on Saturday, what a birthday gift. Wish you the best Sir.

24 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

UND was gassed at that point.  With Luke out and a lot of guys double-shifting, it wore on them.  That break they got while the refs reviewed that hit was the best thing at that point.  After that, they had their legs back a bit and finished the game strong.

I never noticed that, but now I realized that that is what happened. Great observation. We then skated off the two minutes and with just under 1 minute left, HISTORY.