SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (10-6) @ Montana (13-3) (3/3 8 PM)

SWSiouxMN

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, NDSU went on the road and beat UND due to horrible end-of-game execution and planning, so there's that road win for them. 

Why should UND be content with how poor the league is at going on the road and winning? Are you okay finishing 3rd every season? I'm not. That won't ever result in an NCAA tournament appearance. It's fun to win games at home, but rarely winning on the road is not okay. Yes, Montana and Weber State are the outliers in that they consistently win on the road, but they also consistently win the conference. No coincidence there.

Would UND men's hockey be okay finishing 3rd in the NCHC every season? Give them a pat on the back and say, "good work, you met expectations and finished 3rd"?

Would we be okay with Bubba saying, "our goal is to move UND to the 3rd best position in the Big Sky Conference." Hell no.

Lets wake up and try to be competitive. The Big Sky Conference is ran by a couple bullies in Montana and Montana State and UND needs to wake up and punch them in the mouth. Stop being so damn conservative and go for the win. 

UND football got into position by hiring Bubba (thank God), now it's UND MBB's turn. 

AMEN!!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well perhaps UND should stop being average, then. 

I'd argue that UND has been the third best team in the Big Sky since they joined, thus above average in conference. However the gap between where they are compared to Weber/UM is sizable and I've already said multiple times they need to make the jump and be there with those two every year. 

Again, there's a difference between stating a coach isn't going to be fired and saying they should or shouldn't be.

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, NDSU went on the road and beat UND due to horrible end-of-game execution and planning, so there's that road win for them. 

Why should UND be content with how poor the league is at going on the road and winning? Are you okay finishing 3rd every season? I'm not. That won't ever result in an NCAA tournament appearance. It's fun to win games at home, but rarely winning on the road is not okay. Yes, Montana and Weber State are the outliers in that they consistently win on the road, but they also consistently win the conference. No coincidence there.

Would UND men's hockey be okay finishing 3rd in the NCHC every season? Give them a pat on the back and say, "good work, you met expectations and finished 3rd"?

Would we be okay with Bubba saying, "our goal is to move UND to the 3rd best position in the Big Sky Conference." Hell no.

Lets wake up and try to be competitive. The Big Sky Conference is ran by a couple bullies in Montana and Montana State and UND needs to wake up and punch them in the mouth. Stop being so damn conservative and go for the win. 

UND football got into position by hiring Bubba (thank God), now it's UND MBB's turn. 

Hey now, quit bringing common sense and logic into this debate! It's confusing the "Extend Jones" camp! :p:wink:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You forgot the third bully, Weber State.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

You forgot the third bully, Weber State.

In terms of basketball, absolutely; however, Montana is the school that has dominance in both football and basketball. Not to mention, they feel the conference revolves around them; they are an entitled bunch. Certainly, they have great programs, but if UND wants to be a top tier football and basketball school in the Big Sky Conference, they need to shoot for what Montana is doing.

Going on the road and getting handled by the Griz does not reflect that. There needs to be some changes for that to happen. Even football got exposed at Montana last season, but Bubba admitted to it and has been working hard to address the depth and technique within the secondary (not to mention there were injuries). If you can't go blow for blow with the major player in the conference - Montana - then its not going to end superbly for UND. So, what is UND MBB going to do about the current discrepancy? Just wait for the players to grow through a directionless Brian Jones' system (like Huff, Webb, and Anderson did)? Or will a change be made so that the culture and system can be improved? I vote the latter. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/4/2016 at 3:44 PM, darell1976 said:

What does that have to do with anything, because I didn't I don't have an opinion. Go away with your dumb questions.

No. It just confirms how much credence anyone should give to your opinions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

No. It just confirms how much credence anyone should give to your opinions.

It's my opinion, you don't want to listen to it fine, I don't care. I don't listen to your opinion because it's just that...your opinion.

On March 4, 2016 at 1:37 PM, jdub27 said:

Get over NDSU. They were 4-10 on the road this year including 1-7 in conference.

And now one win from a Dance trip. If UND can't match this, and if Dave Richman is taking his Bison to back to back dance trips in 2 years of coaching is all you hear  Faison better start looking for a new coach cause this is getting old.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

And now one win from a Dance trip. If UND can't match this, and if Dave Richman is taking his Bison to back to back dance trips in 2 years of coaching is all you hear  Faison better start looking for a new coach cause this is getting old.

SU was down 15 at half. A BJ team would have folded and lost by 25 in the same situation. Maybe UND can at least cover the spread today.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What the Low info posters do not understand is that UND has the Lowest Paid D1 coach in NCAA...UND wants a top notch coach then cough up top notch coin...Really think a great coach is going to work in Grand Forks for bottom dollar... Jones is high value bang for the buck coach for school that is first and foremost a hockey school...a very distant second is football and the hoops almost an afterthought.  Reality bites and time to wake up to it

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

What the Low info posters do not understand is that UND has the Lowest Paid D1 coach in NCAA...UND wants a top notch coach then cough up top notch coin...Really think a great coach is going to work in Grand Forks for bottom dollar... Jones is high value bang for the buck coach for school that is first and foremost a hockey school...a very distant second is football and the hoops almost an afterthought.  Reality bites and time to wake up to it

To this point, he's one of the lowest paid coach because he hasn't done anything to earn much of a raise from when he was hired and while managing to do enough to keep his job. Bang for buck shouldn't be the goal and I can say with confidence, that isn't what Jones nor Faison is thinking long-term. The basketball program, while definitely not at the top of the list in the athletic department priority, is most definitely on the radar and being monitored. The potential for revenue and exposure has huge upside however finding the right balance of costs and expenses to reach those is important.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Jones was hired as a DII coach.  Purely speculating of course, but my guess is when he was hired, he was likely one of the highest paid coaches in the NCC at the time.  His salary raises during his time hear have been commensurate with his successes.

Hoops44 seems to think that the athletic department is getting what they are paying for.  I'm of the opinion that Jones is earning what he is worth. 

100% dead wrong again .... facts baby facts...Jones is lowest paid coach in BSC as well as NCAA...Jones has been to 4 CIT tourneys plenty of coaches making more money have accomplished less...are you uninformed or just a bald faced liar????

• Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

100% dead wrong again .... facts baby facts...Jones is lowest paid coach in BSC as well as NCAA...Jones has been to 4 CIT tourneys plenty of coaches making more money have accomplished less...are you uninformed or just a bald faced liar????

Faison has shown he will pay the next guy pretty close to market value for what he is worth.  So you can stop worrying about that.  I would expect the next coach to be around 150K.  

9 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

a mind is a terrible thing to waste

Its a fair question.  3 early exits from the CIT tournament is not exactly something to pay a coach on.  I will say he has done a good job of building this years team and put himself in position to have a case for an extension.  Big week for the program. 

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

So you are okay with mediocrity? Reality bites.....and it will bite for Jones if he doesn't do something in the playoffs this year and next year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hoops44 said:
Coach Support $391,337

write out a check...talk is cheap pal

LOL, if Jones gets this program to the level and recognition of Weber St. I would have zero problem paying him.  Until than your talk is equally as cheap as he has done nothing to deserve a raise in 10 years.  

Without using google, name who was in the CIT championship the last 2 years.  

• Upvote 3