SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (10-6) @ Montana (13-3) (3/3 8 PM)

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

But there are teams close to home, that go on the road against ranked teams and knock them off, while we struggle...again it starts at the top. Jones has 18 road wins since joining the big Sky. The most wins in any season since 2008 has been 6.  4-8, 3-9, 4-11, 2-14, 6-11, 4-11, 4-12, 4-8 (so far)  for a total of 31-84 on the road in DI. 31 wins in almost 8 full years in DI on the road. That is bad!!

Get over NDSU. They were 4-10 on the road this year including 1-7 in conference.

Related to UND, they have the 3rd most road wins in Big Sky conference play since joining. Its not an easy league to win in the road on. They are in the second tier, a clear step behind UM and Weber and you'll get no arguments from me that they need to make improvements to move up as equals as those two teams, but put things into perspective a little bit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Get over NDSU. They were 4-10 on the road this year including 1-7 in conference.

Related to UND, they have the 3rd most road wins in Big Sky conference play since joining. Its not an easy league to win in the road on. They are in the second tier, a clear step behind UM and Weber and you'll get no arguments from me that they need to make improvements to move up as equals as those two teams, but put things into perspective a little bit.

Get over NDSU? Kinda hard when people around the state and the media talk about it while not saying a word about UND. Big Sky is hard to win on the road in, are you saying the SL is easy then why haven't we beaten Omaha, SDSU, and the Bison on the road? Like someone else says it starts at the top. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Get over NDSU? Kinda hard when people around the state and the media talk about it while not saying a word about UND. Big Sky is hard to win on the road in, are you saying the SL is easy then why haven't we beaten Omaha, SDSU, and the Bison on the road? Like someone else says it starts at the top. 

Looking at their road record this year, yes, get over them. Using them as an example doesn't help your point. I guess I haven't seen more about NDSU basketball than I have UND this season so I'm not even how to answer that.

I fully believe the Big Sky is harder to win on the road in than the Summit, the travel is significantly different. I don't really care about OOC at this point.

What exactly starts at the top? Let's be specific, what should Jones have done different last night?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Looking at their road record this year, yes, get over them. Using them as an example doesn't help your point. I guess I haven't seen more about NDSU basketball than I have UND this season so I'm not even how to answer that.

I fully believe the Big Sky is harder to win on the road in than the Summit, the travel is significantly different. I don't really care about OOC at this point.

What exactly starts at the top? Let's be specific, what should Jones have done different last night?

It's not just last night he has 31 road wins since 2008. I don't get why you are so in love with the guy. A lot of people can see how he should be gone but you don't get it. He is not a good coach compared to the other Dakota schools with maybe USD as exception. He can't beat a DII transition team (Omaha). He can't beat a ranked team. You hate hearing about NDSU, well that's what you get by knocking off big time programs while our team goes to OT against Bradley, or loses to Cal Poly or Omaha. Jones has zero count them ZERO signature wins. And you stick up for this guy like he's your best friend. Getting curb stomped in Montana doesn't cool off his hot seat. He had this fanbase getting excited for Reno even if went to the buzzer with Montana that would be a good thing, but getting pounded last night has lost that excitement. You can blame the players and I'm not excusing them but this 31 road win track record of Jones has a lot to do with the loss.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It's not just last night he has 31 road wins since 2008. I don't get why you are so in love with the guy. A lot of people can see how he should be gone but you don't get it. He is not a good coach compared to the other Dakota schools with maybe USD as exception. He can't beat a DII transition team (Omaha). He can't beat a ranked team. You hate hearing about NDSU, well that's what you get by knocking off big time programs while our team goes to OT against Bradley, or loses to Cal Poly or Omaha. Jones has zero count them ZERO signature wins. And you stick up for this guy like he's your best friend. Getting curb stomped in Montana doesn't cool off his hot seat. He had this fanbase getting excited for Reno even if went to the buzzer with Montana that would be a good thing, but getting pounded last night has lost that excitement. You can blame the players and I'm not excusing them but this 31 road win track record of Jones has a lot to do with the loss.

You're ranting is comical. Pointing out where UND stands in conference road wins since they joined to put things in perspective is not sticking up for the coach, it is pointing out actual numbers, especially when I stated they need to move out of the clear second tier into the first tier. Saying that a coach isn't going to be fired because of his contract situation isn't sticking up for him, it is having an understanding of results, college athletics and real life budget situations. Then mention a transitioning D-II team but then leave out that your time frame for judging UND/Jones is when they were exactly that for longer than they haven't been.

I could not care less about NDSU, what I hate is that you will, without fail, bring them up. But since you did: Signature win is such a joke of a phrase, what does it even mean? They absolutely boat raced a team that made it to the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament and ended with an butRPI of 32.

If you lose excitement over a team because of one game, look in the mirror, that's on you, not that coach. Was it a discouraging game? Of course, the team played like hot garbage, couldn't make a shot and made some incredibly dumb turnovers. Other than rambling and making your favorite go-to accusation of anyone who doesn't immediately want Jones run out of Grand Forks with pitchforks being his best friend/brother/relative/etc, you still didn't say what Jones should have done differently last night.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just a reminder (enjoy the season)

Coaches' Poll (First Place Votes)

Team Points  
1. Weber State 114 (6)
2. Montana 113 (6)
3. Eastern Washington 99
4. Northern Arizona 79
5. Southern Utah 64
6. Portland State 62
7. Northern Colorado 61
8. Idaho 52
8. North Dakota 52
10. Sacramento State 51
11. Montana State 31
12. Idaho State  14

Media Poll

Team Points  
1. Montana 220 (14)
2. Weber State 194 (2)
3. Eastern Washington 183 (1)
4. Northern Arizona 133 (1)
4. Sacramento State 133 (1)
6. Northern Colorado 117
7. Idaho 109
7. Portland State 109
9. Southern Utah 96
10. North Dakota 70
11. Montana State 64
12. Idaho State 24

No "Yah Buts" please. We are exceeding everyone's expectations except our own and the team's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I know a coach who used to be on staff at UND but also has been on staff at a couple of schools in major conferences and he said that while realizing we are not comparing apples to apples as far as talent goes, all other things equal there isn't a tougher conference to win on the road than the Big Sky....the travel is brutal

42 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Just a question for you D? What sports did you play in high school and/or college?

• Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just a question for you D? What sports did you play in high school and/or college?

What does that have to do with anything, because I didn't I don't have an opinion. Go away with your dumb questions.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You're ranting is comical. Pointing out where UND stands in conference road wins since they joined to put things in perspective is not sticking up for the coach, it is pointing out actual numbers, especially when I stated they need to move out of the clear second tier into the first tier. Saying that a coach isn't going to be fired because of his contract situation isn't sticking up for him, it is having an understanding of results, college athletics and real life budget situations. Then mention a transitioning D-II team but then leave out that your time frame for judging UND/Jones is when they were exactly that for longer than they haven't been.

I could not care less about NDSU, what I hate is that you will, without fail, bring them up. But since you did: Signature win is such a joke of a phrase, what does it even mean? They absolutely boat raced a team that made it to the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament and ended with an butRPI of 32.

If you lose excitement over a team because of one game, look in the mirror, that's on you, not that coach. Was it a discouraging game? Of course, the team played like hot garbage, couldn't make a shot and made some incredibly dumb turnovers. Other than rambling and making your favorite go-to accusation of anyone who doesn't immediately want Jones run out of Grand Forks with pitchforks being his best friend/brother/relative/etc, you still didn't say what Jones should have done differently last night.

You always stick up for Jones, hell during last season's collapse you praised him and bashed what me and others said. People did that with another UND coach and now Bubba has cleaned up that mess. I bring up NDSU because their media is in our area, their recruiting area is the same as ours, they are in the same state as us, the same area of the state as us, our rival. They are underperforming this season as you see but did you forget how much praise from the state and media for winning at the dance, for beating Notre Dame, beating Wisconsin. How about Jones, what had the media said about him in a positive light? You might find my ranting as comical, at least I know of others on this board that know it's spot on, and find you defending Jones as comical.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

You always stick up for Jones, hell during last season's collapse you praised him and bashed what me and others said. People did that with another UND coach and now Bubba has cleaned up that mess. I bring up NDSU because their media is in our area, their recruiting area is the same as ours, they are in the same state as us, the same area of the state as us, our rival. They are underperforming this season as you see but did you forget how much praise from the state and media for winning at the dance, for beating Notre Dame, beating Wisconsin. How about Jones, what had the media said about him in a positive light? You might find my ranting as comical, at least I know of others on this board that know it's spot on, and find you defending Jones as comical.

We have different definitions of what sticking up for someone actually means. Please point out where I praised him last season because I can't recall it. I've never advocated for him to receive an extension (though have recently stated what Faison's options might be). I was very specific in saying he wasn't going to get fired last season, again because I understand contracts and budgets (and I was correct for those reasons), but stating someone isn't going to lose their job isn't the same as saying they shouldn't.

You live in Fargo, of course you're going to hear about NDSU. :silly:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

We have different definitions of what sticking up for someone actually means. Please point out where I praised him last season because I can't recall it. I've never advocated for him to receive an extension (though have recently stated what Faison's options might be). I was very specific in saying he wasn't going to get fired last season, again because I understand contracts and budgets (and I was correct for those reasons), but stating someone isn't going to lose their job isn't the same as saying they shouldn't.

You live in Fargo, of course you're going to hear about NDSU. :silly:

I am sure people in Grand Forks, Devils Lake, Minot, Bismarck, and the rest along with most of Minnesota hear about NDSU especially beating ranked Notre Dame in South Bend and beating Oklahoma in the dance but you are right it was just Fargo that hears about it. Re-read the Fire Jones thread I bash him, you stick up for him. Other people bash him, you respond to mainly what I say. Oxbow made a joke about Jones today but you replied only to me. Do you only follow my criticism about him and ignore other's?

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I am sure people in Grand Forks, Devils Lake, Minot, Bismarck, and the rest along with most of Minnesota hear about NDSU especially beating ranked Notre Dame in South Bend and beating Oklahoma in the dance but you are right it was just Fargo that hears about it. Re-read the Fire Jones thread I bash him, you stick up for him. Other people bash him, you respond to mainly what I say. Oxbow made a joke about Jones today but you replied only to me. Do you only follow my criticism about him and ignore other's?

Nobody outside Grand Forks and Fargo really cares about UND or NDSU basketball, actually.

I'm guessing he responds most often to your criticism because it comes across as the most aggressive and least informed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Nobody outside Grand Forks and Fargo really cares about UND or NDSU basketball, actually.

I'm guessing he responds most often to your criticism because it comes across as the most aggressive and least informed.

Or my post had numerical facts that weakens his case to keep Jones.

Please stop with sound reasoning supported by facts. The "extend Jones" crowd wants to hear none of that.

Oxbow6 put this comment about my post, but I see no one commented about it.

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I mostly agree on Jones and I played high school bball so my opinion means a TON.  But, can we please retire the phrase "curb stomped"

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I mostly agree on Jones and I played high school bball so my opinion means a TON.  But, can we please retire the phrase "curb stomped"

I think that was the first time I used that phrase, but okay I won't use it.

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Just a reminder (enjoy the season)

Coaches' Poll (First Place Votes)

Team Points  
1. Weber State 114 (6)
2. Montana 113 (6)
3. Eastern Washington 99
4. Northern Arizona 79
5. Southern Utah 64
6. Portland State 62
7. Northern Colorado 61
8. Idaho 52
8. North Dakota 52
10. Sacramento State 51
11. Montana State 31
12. Idaho State  14

Media Poll

Team Points  
1. Montana 220 (14)
2. Weber State 194 (2)
3. Eastern Washington 183 (1)
4. Northern Arizona 133 (1)
4. Sacramento State 133 (1)
6. Northern Colorado 117
7. Idaho 109
7. Portland State 109
9. Southern Utah 96
10. North Dakota 70
11. Montana State 64
12. Idaho State 24

No "Yah Buts" please. We are exceeding everyone's expectations except our own and the team's. 

"Yah but" weren't predictions so low for us this year cus Jones had/coached such a bad team last year?     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

When did he say that?  He said you're likely to hear about NDSU in Fargo.

I could explain it, but I've said all I can on this subject. If Jones brings with program down like Muss did, its Faison's fault. If Jones gets us to the dance, well thats great.

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Average to above average teams struggle on the road against good teams? Who would have thought?! That's not a recurring theme with UND, that's a recurring theme in all sports.

All kidding aside, not a good performance last night regardless of who gets the blame. The best game plan in the world doesn't matter when the teams can't hit the side of a barn.. Montana was smarting from Weber handling them last weekend and came out a lot better than UND. Not sure why, UND had been playing very well as of late. Hoping the can bounce back Saturday, get the 4 seed and go from there.

Well perhaps UND should stop being average, then. 

• Upvote 1