SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (10-6) @ Montana (13-3) (3/3 8 PM)

SWSiouxMN

16 minutes ago, homer said:

LOL, if Jones gets this program to the level and recognition of Weber St. I would have zero problem paying him.  Until than your talk is equally as cheap as he has done nothing to deserve a raise in 10 years.  

Without using google, name who was in the CIT championship the last 2 years.  

name on D1 coach with 3 post season tourneys making = or less than jones... Looks like that cat got your tongue my good man.....

17 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

name on D1 coach with 3 post season tourneys making = or less than jones... Looks like that cat got your tongue my good man.....

What is your obsession with defending Jones, have you ever criticized him and his below .500 record over 10 years?

--->> You know what's really funny is you stopped posting last year (2014-2015) from November to June.  The year UND was a complete dumpster fire you were nowhere to be found.  And when you did come back you started bragging about how awesome their recruits were going to be.  :silly:

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

What is your obsession with defending Jones, have you ever criticized him and his below .500 record over 10 years?

--->> You know what's really funny is you stopped posting last year (2014-2015) from November to June.  The year UND was a complete dumpster fire you were nowhere to be found.  And when you did come back you started bragging about how awesome their recruits were going to be.  :silly:

nobody with any brains worries about BSC basketball non conference record...now answer the question name on D1 coach with 3 post season tourneys making = or less than jones... Looks like that cat got your tongue my good man.....

• Downvote 2

Hoops,

Here is the dealio.  The masses don't like Jones and they aren't going to start now.  The sooner you realize that the easier it will be for you.  I know the cliche is overused on here but it's true:  he is Mussman.  Same mentality, likeability, record.  

He needs at least two wins out in Reno or it's over.  That is my somewhat informed opinion.  We will see what size cajones Faison has at this time next week.

20 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

On 2/17/2015 at 3:36 PM, hoopster said:

A big fake who trumps up one weber st yahoo who thinks UND only runs one set, but whines when another weber hack points out the harshness of UND climate.

Proof you are a lying sack of manure...Why not take you crap to the fire jones thread where it belongs????

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:
Coach Support $391,337

write out a check...talk is cheap pal

Oh, I see, this is my problem to solve? Nope, it's Faison's problem to solve, that is what he gets paid to do. And I already give to the Champion's Club and have football and hockey season tickets, so you can take your smarmy comments and stick them where the sun doesn't shine.

Or better yet, go back to Bisonville; it is clear you are a troll and couldn't care less about UND athletics.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, I see, this is my problem to solve? Nope, it's Faison's problem to solve, that is what he gets paid to do. And I already give to the Champion's Club and have football and hockey season tickets, so you can take your smarmy comments and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Or better yet, go back to Bisonville; it is clear you are a troll and couldn't care less about UND athletics.

YAWN!!!!

• Downvote 6

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

It doesn't matter to me.  I don't care about the CIT and a coach is payed based on performance.   

Fact is he has ZERO wins in those appearances and his teams are consistently around .500 record does not deserve a raise.  He has been an average coach with ABOVE average talent during his ten years.  One could argue that he has under performed with his team.   What has he done to deserve a raise?  If we suddenly paid him $50,000 more per year would he be a better coach?  Again, big week for this program and its coach.  

• Upvote 1

Hoops 44

You are making it sound like making it to the CIT is a huge accomplishment, if that's what your want  from this team your expectations are a lot different than mine.

Also answer this question... Are you okay with being mediocre for the past ten years? Because again if so your expectations are a lot different than mine.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

100% dead wrong again .... facts baby facts...Jones is lowest paid coach in BSC as well as NCAA...Jones has been to 4 CIT tourneys plenty of coaches making more money have accomplished less...are you uninformed or just a bald faced liar????

what does his facial hair preference have to do with any of this? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Still don't care. What happens in the Summit has nothing to do with whatever coaching decisions Faison will make, if he's worrying about things he can't control, let alone something in another conference, then there are some serious issues. He can't convince everyone in the Summit to not do everything in their power to give games away, but maybe he can get in the ear of a Big Sky coaches and see if they want to give the strategy a whirl. I do find it amusing in multiple ways that you seem to care more than most of FargoU's football fans though.

As one of the most vocal people on the situation, I assume you have your checkbook ready to help with the buyout, because there are actual things to consider in decision making besides how you feel about a coach while sitting at home. But I'm sure you won't actually comprehend that since you're already busy spinning it as me defending Jones instead of understanding the entire situation.

Effort is pretty low on the list UND's problems this year but I guess it is an easy potshot to take.

If you don't think what happens at NDSU affects UND, you have been blind for the last 100+ years. Their success affects recruiting....see football. If UND and NDSU were to fight for a player NDSU can pull out the dance card, UND can pull out the what CIT, .500 card? Just because they are in the SL doesn't mean what they do has nothing to do with UND thats the beauty of in-state rivals. You think Iowa-Iowa State doesn't have this problem? As for opening my checkbook, I don't need to pay a cent for a buyout, its not my job, I don't work for the University of North Dakota. I support UND athletics at the gate, concessions, and merchandise. Salaries paid from Bubba, to Dodson and everyone in between is the job of Brian Faison and his accountants which I am not a part of, so quit with the writing of the checkbook thing, it makes you and hoops44 look silly.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hoops44 said:

100% dead wrong again .... facts baby facts...Jones is lowest paid coach in BSC as well as NCAA...Jones has been to 4 CIT tourneys plenty of coaches making more money have accomplished less...are you uninformed or just a bald faced liar????

What part of that statement is wrong? That Jones deserves more money? That is not a fact, but rather an opinion. The facts are that Jones WAS hired as a DII coach, and HAS NOT been able to win a Big Sky Conference tournament championship. He has a 136–161 overall record as UND's coach. That sub-par record is not deserving of anything "worthwhile". 

I'm just going to say it: you are unable to comprehend facts. Or you are just playing devil's advocate and want to argue against common sense. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

If you don't think what happens at NDSU affects UND, you have been blind for the last 100+ years. Their success affects recruiting....see football. If UND and NDSU were to fight for a player NDSU can pull out the dance card, UND can pull out the what CIT, .500 card? Just because they are in the SL doesn't mean what they do has nothing to do with UND thats the beauty of in-state rivals. You think Iowa-Iowa State doesn't have this problem? As for opening my checkbook, I don't need to pay a cent for a buyout, its not my job, I don't work for the University of North Dakota. I support UND athletics at the gate, concessions, and merchandise. Salaries paid from Bubba, to Dodson and everyone in between is the job of Brian Faison and his accountants which I am not a part of, so quit with the writing of the checkbook thing, it makes you and hoops44 look silly.

Come on Darell.  The reality is that at the mid-major level money has a role in everything.  You've been in Fargo to long if you think money grows on trees. 

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Again, you aren't comprehending. If UND starts makes decisions based on other schools/conference results instead of what is best for UND given their set of circumstances, that is a major issue. If NDSU hadn't been successful the last few years, that doesn't changes the results UND has during Jones' tenure out outside of maybe 1 game a season (ironically enough UND absolutely destroyed NDSU's most successful team).

As for supporting UND at the gate and concessions, how many basketball games have you attended in person since Jones has been the head coach? I'll also add that if you think the "checkbook" thing is silly, you really are out of touch with how college athletics and finances at the level UND is at works.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, homer said:

Come on Darell.  The reality is that at the mid-major level money has a role in everything.  You've been in Fargo to long if you think money grows on trees. 

Again its not my job to write the checkbook on the buyout, I never selected him as a coach, I never talked contract details with him, and why.....it not my job!! If BF is happy with this sub .500 coach then more power to him, obviously the empty seats and the pissed off fanbase was enough to can Muss. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Again, you aren't comprehending. If UND starts makes decisions based on other schools/conference results instead of what is best for UND given their set of circumstances, that is a major issue. If NDSU hadn't been successful the last few years, that doesn't changes the results UND has during Jones' tenure out outside of maybe 1 game a season (ironically enough UND absolutely destroyed NDSU's most successful team).

As for supporting UND at the gate and concessions, how many basketball games have you attended in person since Jones has been the head coach? I'll also add that if you think the "checkbook" thing is silly, you really are out of touch.

I see other people said that the checkbook thing is silly, but I am out of touch, again you stay silent when others are bashing your beloved Jones, why don't you chime in on their bashing....because it might be true.:0

NDSU's success affects us, and vice versa. If the recruiting area is the same, and I'm pretty sure it is then UND has a harder case to make to lure a kid from the dance happy Bison. NDSU had a good coach in Saul Phillips, went to the dance first time eligible, and was good enough to go to a MAC school, enter Dave Richman who is in his second year and he already has a 20+ win season, and a dance trip not to mention one win from a second dance trip. Point being is UND can have success with a better coach than Brian Jones. Ask Bubba is NDSU's success in winning NC's, conference championships, affects recruiting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, darell1976 said:

I see other people said that the checkbook thing is silly, but I am out of touch, again you stay silent when others are bashing your beloved Jones, why don't you chime in on their bashing....because it might be true.:0

NDSU's success affects us, and vice versa. If the recruiting area is the same, and I'm pretty sure it is then UND has a harder case to make to lure a kid from the dance happy Bison. NDSU had a good coach in Saul Phillips, went to the dance first time eligible, and was good enough to go to a MAC school, enter Dave Richman who is in his second year and he already has a 20+ win season, and a dance trip not to mention one win from a second dance trip. Point being is UND can have success with a better coach than Brian Jones. Ask Bubba is NDSU's success affects recruiting. 

Mainly because you insist on personally calling me out and are the most vocal. Not to mention, right on cue, your  predictable comeback is to say someone is buddies with Jones. You didn't answer the question on how much "support" you've given the basketball team at the gate in and in concessions since my buddy Jones has been here though.

Again, NDSU's success or failure doesn't change UND's results. That is what they need to be worried about. Control what is yours to control.

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Again its not my job to write the checkbook on the buyout, I never selected him as a coach, I never talked contract details with him, and why.....it not my job!! If BF is happy with this sub .500 coach then more power to him, obviously the empty seats and the pissed off fanbase was enough to can Muss. 

What's that saying? Money talks....

Just now, jdub27 said:

Mainly because you insist on personally calling me out and are the most vocal. Not to mention, right on cue, your  predictable comeback is to say someone is buddies with Jones. You didn't answer the question on how much "support" you've given the basketball team at the gate in and in concessions since my buddy Jones has been here though.

Again, NDSU's success or failure doesn't change UND's results. That is what they need to be worried about. Control what is yours to control.

What's that saying? Money talks....

And results is what counts. BF found money to buyout Muss it must have been my ticket to the Potato Bowl to buy him out right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

And results is what counts. BF found money to buyout Muss it must have been my ticket to the Potato Bowl to buy him out right? 

It is a waste of time arguing with jdub27, all he has are the same tired old talking points.

If Jones does come back for next season, then there had better not be a contract extension attached to it. He hasn't earned it and if he doesn't earn it next season, it is time to wish him well on his future endeavors.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is a waste of time arguing with jdub27, all he has are the same tired old talking points.

If Jones does come back for next season, then there had better not be a contract extension attached to it. He hasn't earned it and if he doesn't earn it next season, it is time to wish him well on his future endeavors.

if by talking point you mean that UND basketball may not have enough money to pay Jones final year of a contract and pay the going rate for a new coach and staff than yeah it's the same old.  That is a reality though. 

No one besides one poster has ever said Jones performance in 10 years has been below average.  

Just now, homer said:

if by talking point you mean that UND basketball may not have enough money to pay Jones final year of a contract and pay the going rate for a new coach and staff than yeah it's the same old.  That is a reality though. 

No one besides one poster has ever said Jones performance in 10 years has been below average.  

No, the whole "pay for it yourself" garbage. Whatever happens with Jones, it is Faison's job, not mine and not yours. Some people on this forum wanted Mussman to finish out his contract. If we found the cash to buy him out, why couldn't we find the cash to buy Jones out? Simple question.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I do like what one poster said and put very harsh stipulations to even attempt to get an extention like 20 wins, big OOC wins, wins over Weber AND (not or) Montana and a conference title. Not to mention road wins, which accompanies the 20 win season. Most wins by a Jones team was 19 in the GWC days.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No, the whole "pay for it yourself" garbage. Whatever happens with Jones, it is Faison's job, not mine and not yours. Some people on this forum wanted Mussman to finish out his contract. If we found the cash to buy him out, why couldn't we find the cash to buy Jones out? Simple question.

It's a fair question.  My answer would be that attendance won't fluctuate as much as it did for football.  If we are suddenly a .750 basketball team how many more butts are in the seats?  

I do think Faison understands the there is money to be made and to me has proven he gets "it" based on his past performance.  I don't know how taking $1 million out of the budget for next year affects any of this.  

For the record, unless we beat Idaho St and play a competitive semi final, I think Jones needs to go or at least no extension be given.  Way to much talent on this team to be .500. 

• Upvote 1