SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

As much fun as it is to have those big name first round flashy freshmen and sophomores (sorry, Tyson, Brock), college hockey is an upper classman's game.

If you don't have a big core, or is it corps, of seniors and juniors that carry the load you (a) don't have an environment for those young stars to do what they do, and (b) you don't have the experience, leadership, maturity, and consist performance to survive a season. Look at last year: that mature defense and group of upperclassmen forwards pushed play to the offensive end and let Boeser and Schmaltz do what they do. This year Boeser and Jost are spending as much time helping in the defensive zone as thinking about offense. 

Having said that, I'll remind you all of 2-5-11-8.

And then I'll point out to two and three years from now, when those big classes will be upperclassmen (even if they suffer some mild attrition).

That said, that group needs to start figuring out this concept called "offense". It begins by propelling or carrying the puck toward the blue painted ice with the guy in the big pads and wrong jersey standing on it. <-- Wasn't sure how much they understood of the concept so I gave the detailed description. 

My best guess: 
If UND sweeps at Miami they have to at least get to the Final Faceoff to have any hope. 
If UND splits or worse at Miami, not only do they have to get to the Final Faceoff, but they'll probably have to win a game there (v. DU or UMD). 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

As much fun as it is to have those big name first round flashy freshmen and sophomores (sorry, Tyson, Brock), college hockey is an upper classman's game.

If you don't have a big core, or is it corps, of seniors and juniors that carry the load you (a) don't have an environment for those young stars to do what they do, and (b) you don't have the experience, leadership, maturity, and consist performance to survive a season. Look at last year: that mature defense and group of upperclassmen forwards pushed play to the offensive end and let Boeser and Schmaltz do what they do. This year Boeser and Jost are spending as much time helping in the defensive zone as thinking about offense. 

Having said that, I'll remind you all of 2-5-11-8.

And then I'll point out to two and three years from now, when those big classes will be upperclassmen (even if they suffer some mild attrition).

That said, that group needs to start figuring out this concept called "offense". It begins by propelling or carrying the puck toward the blue painted ice with the guy in the big pads and wrong jersey standing on it. <-- Wasn't sure how much they understood of the concept so I gave the detailed description. 

My best guess: 
If UND sweeps at Miami they have to at least get to the Final Faceoff to have any hope. 
If UND splits or worse at Miami, not only do they have to get to the Final Faceoff, but they'll probably have to win a game there (v. DU or UMD). 

Good take.

I believe you are correct on where UND is at.

Need to win 4 of 6 or 5 of 7 to punch a ticket.

Just now, petey23 said:

Good take.

Again this will require UND at some point from here on out to win back to back games.............................................I'd bet against that based on the last few weeks of play.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again this will require UND at some point from here on out to win back to back games.............................................I'd bet against that based on the last few weeks of play.

I even played this out in my head.

Miami-win

Miami-lose

SCSU-win

SCSU-lose

SCSU-win

Semi Final-win

Championship-lose

Probably puts us around 14 at best

48 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I even played this out in my head.

Miami-win

Miami-lose

SCSU-win

SCSU-lose

SCSU-win

Semi Final-win

Championship-lose

Probably puts us around 14 at best

I think the only way UND gets to Fargo without winning the NCHC tournament is sweeping Miami and winning the first round series and a game at the Target Center. I think a loss at Miami could sinks them too far down in the Pairwise.

• Upvote 3

Data from: http://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/ 

Who's in (9): DU, UMD, Harvard, Minnesota, WMU, UMLowell, BU, Union, Cornell

Figure minimal upsets (2, so PWR16 and PWR15 are gone), ... 

So 10-14 (5) at-large to be filled from the following nine:

Team (wins to PWR14) - left - games
Vermont(3) - 3 - hosts Maine (not sure how Jim has 3 when only 2 Maine games left, must assume an HEA tourney opener)
UNO(1) - 2 - hosts DU
UND(1) - 2 - at Miami
Ohio State(3) - 4 - hosts Michigan State, at Wisconsin
SCSU(2) - 2 - hosts CC
Wisconsin(2) - 4 - at Penn State, hosts Ohio State
Providence(1) - 2 - hosts UMass
Penn State(1) - 4 - host Wisconsin, at Michigan 
Notre Dame(0) - 0 - no regular season games left, so needs some help

I'd say everyone else has to win their conference autobid. 

Observations: 

The B1G is going to be doing some self-immolation with that OSU/UW/PSU trifecta. I'd say Wisconsin could do a lot of damage over the next four games. 

My thoughts on most likely to least likely (first five make PWR14 or better): Penn State, Providence, Notre Dame, SCSU, UW, UND, OSU, UNO, Vermont 

44 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Good take.

This is what I'd think too, they have two losses the rest of the way (both can't be in NCHC first round of Playoffs). This would take one sweep over the next 3 weekends, which as inconsistent as this team has played, isn't exactly impossible.

What gives me hope is it's not like the NCHC is murders row this year and the teams UND will be playing the next two weeks are average college hockey teams. So is UND right now, but, they have more talent than both Miami and SCSU.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

This is what I'd think too, they have two losses the rest of the way (both can't be in NCHC first round of Playoffs). This would take one sweep over the next 3 weekends, which as inconsistent as this team has played, isn't exactly impossible.

What gives me hope is it's not like the NCHC is murders row this year and the teams UND will be playing the next two weeks are average college hockey teams. So is UND right now, but, they have more talent than both Miami and SCSU.

"Hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard".

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

1. I was being sarcastic.

2. It was in reference to when every Hak hater wanted him fired. Everyone of them said that they would be ok if this was the result. Now it's happening and us fans don't like the results.

funny how people forget....

You gotta add the emoji! lol 

I still have faith we'll get in, but man, that Saturday game really shook me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Giving up that 3 goal lead on Friday shook me... :0

The weekend vs. Mich. St. shook me.

The 5 goal 3rd period collapse vs Miami shook me.

The Saturday loss to CC shook me.

Friday like you pointed out shook me.

Saturday night shook me and knocked me out.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The weekend vs. Mich. St. shook me.

The 5 goal 3rd period collapse vs Miami shook me.

The Saturday loss to CC shook me.

Friday like you pointed out shook me.

Saturday night shook me and knocked me out.

Yeah...all those shook me pretty good as well :)

If we don't win Friday, it may not matter much what we do on Saturday because we'll have to win the Frozen Faceoff to get in.

I don't like the prospect of potentially having to beat Denver and Duluth at the Target Center to keep our season alive.

In summation, let's sweep Miami m'kay? Then we'll at least be able to play for our season at The Ralph.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If we don't win Friday, it may not matter much what we do on Saturday because we'll have to win the Frozen Faceoff to get in.

I don't like the prospect of potentially having to beat Denver and Duluth at the Target Center to keep our season alive.

In summation, let's sweep Miami m'kay? Then we'll at least be able to play for our season at The Ralph.

The way it's been going, this may not be what's best for this team.

• Upvote 3