SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

I don't think you have much worry about.  There is 0% chance the B1G gives North Dakota a full member invite, and not much better chance they get an associate member hockey invite.  My argument was if they did get an hockey associate member invite, they'd better off refusing the B1G (even though I personally would prefer they accept it) and staying in the NCHC, but they would jump at the chance for full B1G membership if it were offered.

1 hour ago, Gopher Fan said:

Its not elitism, its simply the truth. People on both coast almost totally ignore both Dakotas among other states.  Minnesota isn't regarded much better, but we can't be completely ignored with a power 5 university, multiple pro teams, and a top 15 TV market.  Half the time when you start talking about Boston U, other people think your talking about Boston College.  Being a member of the B1G would improve the status of either North Dakota or Boston U.

It may improve their "status" but it would definitely decrease the quality of their hockey opponents judging by the past 3 years of the newly formed leagues. And yes I only look at hockey because I don't think there's a chance in hell UND football is invited to the big 10.

3 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

....you serious, Clark? 

I am serious. This whole post started as the B10 offering UND an affiliate membership in hockey and now it is spun out into a whole speculation process. The B10 hockey conference will not operate as a 7 team league, so they will add a new member specifically geared towards hockey (and if they can join in other sports great). The fact of the matter is, there are not many Big schools that offer hockey and other sports that fit the mold of what the B10 would like and these other school realize it. Schools like UND, BU, Miami, Denver, etc...  are all in a good position to where they would not need to jump to the B10 unless it was beneficial ($$$) for them. Everyone knows how the B10 currently operates and what I am saying is that the B10 needs them more than they need the B10, so they should look at re-evaluating what they offer. 

1 hour ago, Gopher Fan said:

I don't think you have much worry about.  There is 0% chance the B1G gives North Dakota a full member invite, and not much better chance they get an associate member hockey invite.  My argument was if they did get an hockey associate member invite, they'd better off refusing the B1G (even though I personally would prefer they accept it) and staying in the NCHC, but they would jump at the chance for full B1G membership if it were offered.

I lived in Mass after I ETSed from the Army and people on the East Coast think Minnesota is a joke, too. From an easterner point of view, Minnesota isn't considered to be elite or above ND or SD. We can put that to bed, too. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It may improve their "status" but it would definitely decrease the quality of their hockey opponents judging by the past 3 years of the newly formed leagues. And yes I only look at hockey because I don't think there's a chance in hell UND football is invited to the big 10.

Since the B1G hockey conference started and the conferences realigned you are correct, the B1G is not the best hockey conference and North Dakota is the current National Champion.  But since the NCAA started crowning national champions in 1948 only four schools were able to successfully defend their title and win consecutive championships.  Minnesota & Michigan are 2 of them (Boston U & Denver are the other 2).  B1G schools have won 23 national championships, and NCHC schools have won 18 national championships.  Congratulations on your title, you have a decent chance to be the 5th school to repeat, but as to the B1G level of competition in hockey, lets see what happens in the next decade before we call B1G hockey a failure.  

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I lived in Mass after I ETSed from the Army and people on the East Coast think Minnesota is a joke, too. From an easterner point of view, Minnesota isn't considered to be elite or above ND or SD. We can put that to bed, too. 

I never said Minnesota was elite, but Minnesota has 5 NBA titles, 2 World Series titles, an NFL championship, and has hosted 3 World Series, Multiple NBA finals, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, a Super Bowl, 3 MLB All-Star games, and 3 NCAA Basketball Final Fours.  Probably a bit better than the Dakotas.

5 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I am serious. This whole post started as the B10 offering UND an affiliate membership in hockey and now it is spun out into a whole speculation process. The B10 hockey conference will not operate as a 7 team league, so they will add a new member specifically geared towards hockey (and if they can join in other sports great). The fact of the matter is, there are not many Big schools that offer hockey and other sports that fit the mold of what the B10 would like and these other school realize it. Schools like UND, BU, Miami, Denver, etc...  are all in a good position to where they would not need to jump to the B10 unless it was beneficial ($$$) for them. Everyone knows how the B10 currently operates and what I am saying is that the B10 needs them more than they need the B10, so they should look at re-evaluating what they offer. 

North Dakota & Denver don't meet the academic & research B1G requirements, Miami is borderline on these requirements even for an associate membership, and Boston U would only consider joining as a full member.  The B1G had 11 full members for almost 2 decades, a few years at 7 hockey members doesn't seem that unlikely.

11 minutes ago, Gopher Fan said:

I never said Minnesota was elite, but Minnesota has 5 NBA titles, 2 World Series titles, an NFL championship, and has hosted 3 World Series, Multiple NBA finals, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, a Super Bowl, 3 MLB All-Star games, and 3 NCAA Basketball Final Fours.  Probably a bit better than the Dakotas.

Probably but in the college hockey world, they are still below North Dakota.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

Since the B1G hockey conference started and the conferences realigned you are correct, the B1G is not the best hockey conference and North Dakota is the current National Champion.  But since the NCAA started crowning national champions in 1948 only four schools were able to successfully defend their title and win consecutive championships.  Minnesota & Michigan are 2 of them (Boston U & Denver are the other 2).  B1G schools have won 23 national championships, and NCHC schools have won 18 national championships.  Congratulations on your title, you have a decent chance to be the 5th school to repeat, but as to the B1G level of competition in hockey, lets see what happens in the next decade before we call B1G hockey a failure.  

B1G schools have 0 national championships, NCHC schools have one.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

Never said it was a failure, just substandard competition. 

14 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Probably but in the college hockey world, they are still below North Dakota.

Yes, North Dakota has 8 national titles for Men's hockey, Minnesota only has 5, and Michigan has 9.   If you include women's hockey, Minnesota can add a few more titles, or is women's hockey not part of the "college hockey world"?

11 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

B1G schools have 0 national championships, NCHC schools have one.

B1G schools have 23 national championships, and the B1G hockey conference has 0 national championships.  NCHC schools have 18 national championships, and the NCHC conference has 1 national championship.

20 minutes ago, Gopher Fan said:

B1G schools have 23 national championships, and the B1G hockey conference has 0 national championships.  NCHC schools have 18 national championships, and the NCHC conference has 1 national championship.

I can say this now, but the 37 second mark says it all concerning your reflection on schools that were in the old WCHA.  Brad Beutow called, he wants you to make the leap to the present.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

Lol. Let's not pretend hosting anything really puts you on the sports map. You're just lucky you have a large metropolitan area. Outside that, you're claiming your NBA championships from over 60 years ago, your NFL championship from over 50 years ago (so long ago it was prior to the Super Bowl era), and baseball championship from 25 years ago? I'm more impressed with your women's teams accomplishments, because at least they've taken place this generation.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

I can say this now, but the 37 second mark says it all concerning your reflection on schools that were in the old WCHA.  Brad Beutow called, he wants you to make the leap to the present.  

By your logic the WCHA has 37 national championships, even though only 4 of them were won by current WCHA teams while members of the WCHA.

13 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Lol. Let's not pretend hosting anything really puts you on the sports map. You're just lucky you have a large metropolitan area. Outside that, you're claiming your NBA championships from over 60 years ago, your NFL championship from over 50 years ago (so long ago it was prior to the Super Bowl era), and baseball championship from 25 years ago? I'm more impressed with your women's teams accomplishments, because at least they've taken place this generation.

Point taken, although the NFL championship was less than 50 years ago (the Vikings are one of 2 teams to win the NFL championship the same season they lost the Super Bowl before the NFL-AFL merger), but is Minnesota or North Dakota more likely to win a future World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, or NBA Title, or MLS Cup?

14 minutes ago, Gopher Fan said:

By your logic the WCHA has 37 national championships, even though only 4 of them were won by current WCHA teams while members of the WCHA.

Well they sure weren't won as part of the vaunted Big Ten conference.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Well they sure weren't won as part of the vaunted Big Ten conference.

I never said they were won as part of the B1G hockey, I said they were won by schools who are currently members of B1G hockey.  If I understand you correctly, nothing which happened before 2013 counts, B1G hockey has 0 titles, the NCHC has 1 title, and if the Gophers somehow manage to win a championship next season they will be even with North Dakota at one title each, and B1G hockey & the NCHC will be even as well???

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No, women's hockey is not part of the hockey world.

I'd say the odds are pretty even at this point.

At least Minnesota has teams in the competition, a couple of which are showing signs of significant improvement.  North Dakota doesn't even have rumors of expansions possibilities. 

If women's hockey doesn't matter, why do you have a women's hockey team?

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

...but Minnesota has 5 NBA titles...and has hosted Multiple NBA finals...

Hey Grampa, please Please PLEASE tell me another bedtime story about the golden days of yore and the Minneapolis Lakers!  :lol:

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Gopher Fan said:

At least Minnesota has teams in the competition, a couple of which are showing signs of significant improvement.  North Dakota doesn't even have rumors of expansions possibilities. 

I don't like defending UND(that's why I don't do it), but what is the point in bringing up professional sports?  I don't see what correlation the Twins or Vikings have with UM-TC or the lack of professional sports teams have to do with the success of UND.

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't like defending UND(that's why I don't do it), but what is the point in bringing up professional sports?  I don't see what correlation the Twins or Vikings have with UM-TC or the lack of professional sports teams have to do with the success of UND.

In all fairness to Gopher Fan, he wasn't talking about PROFESSIONAL sports.  He was talking about the Twins and Vikings.  

• Upvote 2