SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ Western Mich - SATURDAY

AZSIOUX

About injuries.   The level of trust UND has in the NHL as a good steward of drafted players is a big recruiting tool and one that the school takes seriously.  So when one of those players has an injury, the coaches and trainer act on the side of caution, possibly more than some schools.   That may leave them with a short bench at times, but I'd guess it's worth the long term benefit.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Does anyone know what the record is for points by a freshman at UND? There are probably some 80's freshman that put up crazy numbers but as far as recent players go, Boeser has to be getting up there.

Would guess the record is Kevin Maxwell in the late 70's with 82 or 83 points, but recently not many putting up huge numbers.  Not many players reach 50 points in a season anymore, especially freshmen.

7 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Does anyone know what the record is for points by a freshman at UND? There are probably some 80's freshman that put up crazy numbers but as far as recent players go, Boeser has to be getting up there.

In recent memory- Parise put up 60 his freshman year

Osh was over 40, Toews just under that, but he missed a couple weeks due to Canada's long WJC camp

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

WMU players stick gets caught in Gersich's legs, he drops the stick, and Gersich goes to the box for knocking stick out of hands

Reminds me of the game against Boston U a couple years ago when a Sioux player had his stick knocked out of his hands and they gave him the penalty.  I think the ref apologized after the fact.  Do you think Sheppard would ever apologize?  Guess if he did that every time he screwed up, he'd end up with laryngitis!

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

Reminds me of the game tonight Boston U a couple years ago when a Sioux player had his stick knocked out of his hands and the gave him the penalty.  I think the ref apologized after the fact.  Do you think Sheppard would ever apologize?  Guess if he did that every time he screwed up, he'd end up with laryngitis!

Yeah, Shep would apologize.

He would say: "Sorry I didn't blow the whistle sooner."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

About injuries.   The level of trust UND has in the NHL as a good steward of drafted players is a big recruiting tool and one that the school takes seriously.  So when one of those players has an injury, the coaches and trainer act on the side of caution, possibly more than some schools.   That may leave them with a short bench at times, but I'd guess it's worth the long term benefit.  

You make a real good (but not so obvious) point Burd.  I'm guessing it helps that UND has so much depth, makes them more inclined perhaps than many teams not to rush injured players early.

58 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Kevin Maxwell  31-51-82

Troy Murray  33-45-78

Zach Parise  26-35-61

Greg Johnson  17-38-55

Tony Hrkac  18-36-54

Perry Berezan  28-24-52

Cary Eades  27-23-50

Mark Taylor  22-28-50

Doug Smail  22-28-50

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

Reminds me of the game against Boston U a couple years ago when a Sioux player had his stick knocked out of his hands and they gave him the penalty.  I think the ref apologized after the fact.  Do you think Sheppard would ever apologize?  Guess if he did that every time he screwed up, he'd end up with laryngitis!

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-off-side/video-brendan-odonnell-slashing-penalty/

that one called by Kevin Shea 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

UND is 6-0-0 at Lawson and 1-1 at the Ralph against the WMU Broncos. I am not sure why UND has played three series at WMU and only one at the Ralph?

Video of the goals from tonight's game. Enjoy.... 

The teams don't play 4 games against every team in the league every year. UND only played Miami and Nebraska Omaha one series each this season. UND and WMU played home and away during the first year of the NCHC, only played 1 series at WMU the second year of the league, and this was the first of a home and away this season. By the end of this season it will be 3 at WMU and 2 at UND. It will even off in a few years when WMU will only play at UND.

Watched the game this morning. Two things:

1. Don't want WMU on consecutive weekends at the Ralph. Chances of coming out of 4 straight healthy are not good.

2. No Shep and Walsh. Shep calls nothing which allows even more WMU hooking/holding/hits from behind. Walsh makes phantom calls that go against ND. The 3 on Gersich were total head scratchers. The last one on the ND PP on Gersich, wow. The WMU player lets go of his stick to make sure Gersich doesn't go down after having the stick in his skates. What was that called, "slashing"?. Not evern sure what the first two were but all the announcers could say on replay was, "it's in there somewhere".. This ND team does not play quite as physical as many before them, and the opponents are taking advantage of Shep not calling penalties. Saw it against UNO, now again against WMU.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

The teams don't play 4 games against every team in the league every year. UND only played Miami and Nebraska Omaha one series each this season. UND and WMU played home and away during the first year of the NCHC, only played 1 series at WMU the second year of the league, and this was the first of a home and away this season. By the end of this season it will be 3 at WMU and 2 at UND. It will even off in a few years when WMU will only play at UND.

Maybe I was thinking out loud and I understand it. I just find it odd that's how it's shaken out that way. UND is 6-0 at Lawson during the three NCHC seasons. 

2 hours ago, sprig said:

Watched the game this morning. Two things:

1. Don't want WMU on consecutive weekends at the Ralph. Chances of coming out of 4 straight healthy are not good.

2. No Shep and Walsh. Shep calls nothing which allows even more WMU hooking/holding/hits from behind. Walsh makes phantom calls that go against ND. The 3 on Gersich were total head scratchers. The last one on the ND PP on Gersich, wow. The WMU player lets go of his stick to make sure Gersich doesn't go down after having the stick in his skates. What was that called, "slashing"?. Not evern sure what the first two were but all the announcers could say on replay was, "it's in there somewhere".. This ND team does not play quite as physical as many before them, and the opponents are taking advantage of Shep not calling penalties. Saw it against UNO, now again against WMU.

Absolutely agree with your points in #2.  The officiating this weekend was sub standard even for Shep/Walsh.  And those calls on Gersich were all mysterious.  If you can call that interference, then why look past all the clutching, slashing and tackling.  Props to WMU for using their size and playing gritty, but there were several instances of completely ignored non-calls by the refs.   Not the first time we've seen this, and it won't be the last.  

As to playing WMU in REA four games straight, if that happens I hope the ice masters at REA keep that ice-sheet hard and fast.  Speed is our advantage, we should use it.

10 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND will play two series against Omaha every season since they are our conference "rival". Denver has CC, SCSU with UMD, and Miami with WMU so we get Omaha.

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Goon, you think out loud?  I do all the time, welcome to the crowd.  It will be nice to see what Febuary has in store for this team.  Could set up nicely for a run to the X and then Tampa. 

I am thinking this team is something special. If they can keep the @InjuryNinja out of the locker room.