SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. Alabama Huntsville

AZSIOUX

With Nick and Brock away in Finland UND takes on UAH this weekend at The Ralph.

Fri 7:37 --- Sat 7:07

UAH has 4 wins coming vs UCONN(43rd), swept LSSU(48th) and beat cc(58th)

UND - 16-2-2 / 9-1-0-0 nchc - 5th pairwise as of now 

UAH -  4-12-2 / 2-10-2 wcha - 57th pairwise as of now 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm anxious for this series.  Given the defense is in tact, there shouldn't be an issue, even missing Brock and Nick, with a sweep.  That said, what a crushing blow would it be to get a tie or loss in one of the games?  BC got beat by OSU the other night... [shudders at the idea].

Would be a great time for Sanderson to get his first goal!

6 hours ago, siouxweet said:

whoever scheduled this series for UND should be fired, nothing good can come out of these two glorified practices this weekend.  same thing goes for omaha and scheduling ASU a couple of weeks ago.

Most likely UND is trying to play every one in the WCHA. So they schedule as many WCHA team they can a year. UND is just helping out the conference they helped start, I see nothing wrong with playing UAH.

12 hours ago, siouxweet said:

whoever scheduled this series for UND should be fired, nothing good can come out of these two glorified practices this weekend.  same thing goes for omaha and scheduling ASU a couple of weeks ago.

They did beat Colorado College.  Maybe the person that included CC in the NCHC should be fired?  When you play in a league as tough as ours you need some teams that aren't quite as strong every once in a while.  That said, remember U.S. International, especially when you don't have your top guns. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Pretty much the argument a lot of NDSU fans were giving about scheduling UND. Given where the two programs were at the time the game was scheduled.

I agree, I would rather see us play a tougher non-conference opponent, but we have seen our fair share of those as well. Providence last year, BC next year. 

18 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND schedules games like this to help build college hockey. It's the same reason they started playing Bemidji, played teams like Mankato State in the early years, and even played American International in the old days. Michigan did it for UND in the late 1940s. That's how new programs get a chance to become established.

Makes good sense and glad that we are being good citizens of college hockey, even though i'd rather see us play more eastern powers (as a barometer and prep for tourney time).

22 minutes ago, ClassB said:

Makes good sense and glad that we are being good citizens of college hockey, even though i'd rather see us play more eastern powers (as a barometer and prep for tourney time).

I think the NCHC gives us plenty of "prep for tourney time". It's easily the toughest conference in the NCAA right now.

And, as was noted above, our program has always extended a "welcome to the club" greeting to young programs by playing them. I remember playing Northern Arizona in the 1980's as well as the other programs mentioned above.

I would really like us to schedule Arizona State in a home and home contract (one series in Grand Forks, the other in Arizona) to help that program get off the ground. College hockey needs to keep the programs it has and add them whenever possible.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the NCHC gives us plenty of "prep for tourney time". It's easily the toughest conference in the NCAA right now.

And, as was noted above, our program has always extended a "welcome to the club" greeting to young programs by playing them. I remember playing Northern Arizona in the 1980's as well as the other programs mentioned above.

I would really like us to schedule Arizona State in a home and home contract (one series in Grand Forks, the other in Arizona) to help that program get off the ground. College hockey needs to keep the programs it has and add them whenever possible.

I agree that we see plenty of tough teams but I still think playing some tough Eastern teams is a good idea too. But I have zero problems playing up and comers, like you said getting programs off the ground is important. Side note, NAU had hockey when? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ClassB said:

I agree that we see plenty of tough teams but I still think playing some tough Eastern teams is a good idea too. But I have zero problems playing up and comers, like you said getting programs off the ground is important. Side note, NAU had hockey when? 

Here's an article about NAU Division I hockey:

http://azdailysun.com/print-specific/feature/hockey-a-former-tradition-at-northern-arizona/article_20a9f3d2-1192-57cd-b9d3-d3a0a8b3d7db.html

Here are the results of our games vs. Northern Arizona from the 2013-14 UND Men's Hockey Media Guide:

Northern Arizona

UND leads 8-0-0 (1.000)

Home: 6-0-0 Away: 1-0-0 Neutral: 1-0-0

Date Site W-L-T Score Playoffs

12-8-78 N W 10-2

12-9-78 A W 12-2

10-23-81 H W 10-2

10-24-81 H W 8-2

10-19-84 H W 9-3

10-20-84 H W 6-2

12-13-85 H W 12-1

12-14-85 H W 5-4

I went to Huntsville a few weeks ago for the CC/UAH series. I had a great time, seeing two evenly matched teams go head to head. I know CC is down but to others' point about helping out up and comers, I was glad to see an established program such as CC sign a home-and-home contract with UAH in order to help them build their program. A rising tide lifts all boats.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 3:43 AM, cberkas said:

Most likely UND is trying to play every one in the WCHA. So they schedule as many WCHA team they can a year. UND is just helping out the conference they helped start, I see nothing wrong with playing UAH.

Also, an ideal opponent to start the second half with, knowing that we might be missing one or two of our top players to the World Junior Tourn.

On 12/30/2015 at 11:06 PM, NewUNDAlum said:

Do we see Tomek for a game?

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Home so, it's now or never.

I think you need to start Cam in the first game, given his success, and his current streak. Depending on what happens in the first game you either continue riding Cam's hot streak, or if he stumbles then you see what you have with Tomek.

I'm sure we will see a heavy dose of Tomek next week against the U-18 team.

Pretty crazy that goal-tending was probably our biggest question mark coming into this season, and looks to be one of our biggest strengths. I don't think anyone expected Cam to be this good, especially after the small glimpse we saw last year. Certainly didn't expect to see Hyrinkiw step in and play to the caliber that he did. And we havn't even seen Tomek yet, who many projected to be a day 1 starter, if not for injury.

At the end of the season, we may need to look back to Hyrinkiw for saving the season. I know he had a ton of help from the rest of the team, but for a third stringer to step into a situation where UND could have easily gone into a tailspin; thats pretty awesome.

• Upvote 3

On paper, UND should roll easily against the Chargers but that's what makes me a little nervous-they're coming up to GF and will be playing with house money. It kinda reminds me of that game against Air Force. UAH will play hard despite their lack of depth and talent. Hopefully UND will come out hard.

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

On paper, UND should roll easily against the Chargers but that's what makes me a little nervous-they're coming up to GF and will be playing with house money. It kinda reminds me of that game against Air Force. UAH will play hard despite their lack of depth and talent. Hopefully UND will come out hard.

Definitely can't overlook anyone in hockey. I'm sure Berry will have these guys ready, and hopefully they aren't too sluggish coming out of the holidays. My brother saw these guys play in the Mankato a few weeks back, and it sounds like their goalie played pretty solid.

UND needs get a few early on Friday. The longer you let a team like this keep it close, the more their confidence builds. Don't let them feel like they have a chance to win.