SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. Alabama Huntsville

AZSIOUX

52 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think you need to start Cam in the first game, given his success, and his current streak. Depending on what happens in the first game you either continue riding Cam's hot streak, or if he stumbles then you see what you have with Tomek.

I'm sure we will see a heavy dose of Tomek next week against the U-18 team.

Pretty crazy that goal-tending was probably our biggest question mark coming into this season, and looks to be one of our biggest strengths. I don't think anyone expected Cam to be this good, especially after the small glimpse we saw last year. Certainly didn't expect to see Hyrinkiw step in and play to the caliber that he did. And we havn't even seen Tomek yet, who many projected to be a day 1 starter, if not for injury.

At the end of the season, we may need to look back to Hyrinkiw for saving the season. I know he had a ton of help from the rest of the team, but for a third stringer to step into a situation where UND could have easily gone into a tailspin; thats pretty awesome.

The two most pleasing "surprises" for me this year are H's performance and the defensive play of Schmaltz and Boeser.  We knew our Dmen would perform at a high level, and we knew Cagguila and Schmaltz would put up points and that Boeser would contribute, but I didn't expect the CBS line to be so excellent on D.  It has been a big factor in the way they maintain possession during their shifts.   The fact that our elite offensive players work so hard on defense goes a long way to establish a culture for the entire team.   And the team has also shown great discipline when it comes to needless penalties, something that becomes important in the NCAAs when special teams play is a big factor and they start seeing refs from the east. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think you need to start Cam in the first game, given his success, and his current streak. Depending on what happens in the first game you either continue riding Cam's hot streak, or if he stumbles then you see what you have with Tomek.

I'm sure we will see a heavy dose of Tomek next week against the U-18 team.

Pretty crazy that goal-tending was probably our biggest question mark coming into this season, and looks to be one of our biggest strengths. I don't think anyone expected Cam to be this good, especially after the small glimpse we saw last year. Certainly didn't expect to see Hyrinkiw step in and play to the caliber that he did. And we havn't even seen Tomek yet, who many projected to be a day 1 starter, if not for injury.

At the end of the season, we may need to look back to Hyrinkiw for saving the season. I know he had a ton of help from the rest of the team, but for a third stringer to step into a situation where UND could have easily gone into a tailspin; thats pretty awesome.

I agree with Cam on Friday.  On Saturday, I would almost be tempted to put Matt back on the ice, esp if Tomek isn't 100%.  I mean, just think back to last year and worries about if Zane went down - I'd like to keep Matt sharp up until you can all but rule him out from playing again this year, and the kid earned himself some playing time with his performance earlier this season.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Definitely can't overlook anyone in hockey. I'm sure Berry will have these guys ready, and hopefully they aren't too sluggish coming out of the holidays. My brother saw these guys play in the Mankato a few weeks back, and it sounds like their goalie played pretty solid.

UND needs get a few early on Friday. The longer you let a team like this keep it close, the more their confidence builds. Don't let them feel like they have a chance to win.

Totally. And you're right-they have two solid goaltenders....that can help an inferior team any day. 

Side bar-I'd strongly recommend folks make a trip down to Huntsville to visit the NASA space and rocket museum. That was a blast! (pun intended)