SiouxSports.com Forum

Bennet Brien Must Design This Logo

geaux_sioux

If they are going to go generic if they go the bird route I rather they go the plane route. The navy used to use a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-4_Skyhawk#United_States

The Argentine variant was the Fighting Hawk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_A-4AR_Fightinghawk

The US Lockheeed F-117 Nighthawk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk

Then there is also the Desert Hawk which is a Drone (which doesn't look as cool, but does match our UAS program)

Or Blackhawk which is a military helicopter.

But what if their are some "delicate, special, mantel full of participation trophies" snowflakes on campus who feel that any mention or depiction of weapons would violate their safe zone?

Great idea to go with aircraft and the connection to the airbase, not to mention the strong aviation department, BUT there will definitely be bleeding hearts that object to anything related to war.

Imagine the sound effects of an aircraft fly-over being used inside The Ralph and the Alerus when UND scores. 

Siouxpride.com  

• Upvote 1

Great idea to go with aircraft and the connection to the airbase, not to mention the strong aviation department, BUT there will definitely be bleeding hearts that object to anything related to war.

Imagine the sound effects of an aircraft fly-over being used inside The Ralph and the Alerus when UND scores. 

Siouxpride.com  

This would be really cool. Differentiate ourselves at least a bit. 

• Upvote 1

Siouxpride.com  

Yes, I agree.  Let's salvage something out of this whole fiasco and go aircraft based logo (connection to our local AF Bases, aviation at UND, tribute to our armed forces, etc) rather than be another bird logo like everyone else. 

Problem with most of those suggestions would be that our name is the Fighting Hawks, now, so I think the name of the plane has to be the same.   Had the Warhawks nickname been chosen, I could definitely see going with the shark mouth logo from the P-40's that were so common in WWII

Yes, I agree.  Let's salvage something out of this whole fiasco and go aircraft based logo (connection to our local AF Bases, aviation at UND, tribute to our armed forces, etc) rather than be another bird logo like everyone else. 

I could be swayed here.

Boy, IMO it's really going to be key that they get a kick-ass logo.   I think that will very much help people who aren't nickname fans to assimilate, if they really like the logo.   I think a "meh" logo with a "meh" nickname will result in little identification with the new nickname by the fanbase.

Problem with most of those suggestions would be that our name is the Fighting Hawks, now, so I think the name of the plane has to be the same.   Had the Warhawks nickname been chosen, I could definitely see going with the shark mouth logo from the P-40's that were so common in WWII

I could be swayed here.

Boy, IMO it's really going to be key that they get a kick-ass logo.   I think that will very much help people who aren't nickname fans to assimilate, if they really like the logo.   I think a "meh" logo with a "meh" nickname will result in little identification with the new nickname by the fanbase.

You mean like this?!!!  To bad it is not a USAF plane.  

hawk.jpg

Edited by Siouxperfan7

I could be swayed here.

Let me say this, our fan base deserves something better than just some ordinary bird logo.

I'm not a fan of the idea of going out for an RFP on the logo design.   Perhaps it will work out ok.  But when I think of "formal" process I think of the committee, and I worry that the winning design firm will be some firm from far away that specializes in logo designs.  And then we'll end up with a nice looking logo meant to be safely appealing without any real soul.  The designer won't be someone who really wants something special for UND, but someone who just cranks out pretty logo designs.   The difference between buying a pie from Baker's Square and making your own.    Deep down the mass market pie just can't compare to one made with soul.

I'd like to see people like Bennett Brien and other local artists who really want to make a name for themselves to have a chance to submit their ideas.   Maybe even an idea from a regular Joe would be identified as great, and then a professional contracted to refine and turn it into a finished product.

I just think if UND hires a "firm" that cranks these out is just going to get someone producing for a paycheck, and not someone close to home who is motivated by being identified with a great logo that inspires pride in the nickname/image.

• Upvote 1

But when I think of "formal" process I think of the committee

Yeah, and you see where the creativity-by-committee strategy has gotten us so far.  It creates a situation in which the focus is on elimination instead of creation.  Each option is taken away one by one until we are left with a nickname by default, and eventually a logo by default.

Edited by obborg
  • Upvote 1