SiouxSports.com Forum

For The Love of God, Not Fighting Hawks

geaux_sioux

Completely agree with this thread steering people towards Fighting Hawks.  I'm fine with either, but the more people act like their opinion is more important than others and those that are voting for the Fighting Hawks are the "uninformed" you are digging your own grave.  The arrogance of people on this forum is sad since we are all going for one team when this is all over. 

• Downvote 1

OK. @ Siouxphan27 and snooty89, Why would you choose Hawks, something common, over Roughriders, something unique? I think roughrider fans struggle to express their incredulity with this question, and it comes across insulting and condescending.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OK. @ Siouxphan27 and snooty89, Why would you choose Hawks, something common, over Roughriders, something unique? I think roughrider fans struggle to express their incredulity with this question, and it comes across insulting and condescending.

This has been brought up numerous times, but:  don't want to copy Red River, Roughriders isn't really a ND name,  doesn't fit the women's teams, not unique in that other teams besides RR use it (I know FH isn't either so it doesn't apply to either), and most importantly, I TOTALLY DISLIKE THE NAME!!!   Probably a few more I could name if I wasn't so sick of this subject.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

There exists one other DI school with the Fighting Hawks name, beside the 40 odd adjective-Hawk schools:

Maryland-Eastern Shore Fighting Hawks

Even with the adjective, it not unique.

Interesting.  Per Wikipedia, they are officially the "Hawks."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maryland_Eastern_Shore

Do you have a source?

Even with the adjective, it not unique.

Even with the LOGO-that-won't-BE-the-logo floating around...at least there is an avenue of creativity there with Fighting Hawks that could result in something like the LOGO-that-won't-BE-the-logo but even cooler...that could be the REAL contest!!  But also probably result in 4-5 internet votes too...sorry

Everyone has an opinion.  Everyone's opinion is valid from their point of view...there is a reason why a few guys named Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, etc painstakingly avoided a straight democracy and rather created a democratic representative republic.  A simple majority should never be able to invoke their will over a large minority.

Higher Ed, however, is a business.  Businesses are definitely NOT republics and even further from a democracy.

This is an exercise in manufactured outcome with an orchestrated democratic process as its artificial justification.

I happen to personally like RoughRiders better than Hawks.  I actually liked a number of names better than either option, but none of those names made the original voting list.  I really kinda liked the "roosters"- pheasant reference with ties back to old Foghorn Leghorn, but hey, what can you do : ) 

Edited by yzerman19
  • Upvote 1

Roughriders less ND-related than Hawks? Lady Riders doesn't work for the womens teams?

RIBBED!   (for her pleasure) 

TOLD YA!!!!

Lets go CONDOMS!  (cha-cha-cha)  LET'S GO CONDOMS!!!!

Our well paid consultant will tell you this is what he what he was paid for...YET still allowed to be in the final vote tally....well I'm about ready to SNAP!  (get it?  condom joke)

• Downvote 4