SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

If a school wants to host, it has to make a bid of at least the minimum for that round (bids for all rounds were due yesterday):
First round – $30,000
Second round – $40,000
Quarterfinals – $50,000
Semifinals – $60,000

Those are the minimum amount the school is guaranteeing the NCAA for hosting. Schools can make bids in excess of those in hopes of getting a game by submitting a projected budget and the NCAA takes 75% of the net receipts of the projections.  Other schools in the past have put guaranteed funds into the ticket sales portion in order to boost their bid and get a home game.

• Upvote 1

To me, the winner of SUU and NAU is in the playoffs and the other is not.  

This part I'm not so sure about. 

SUU could be one missed field goal away from winning a Big Sky Championship and getting an autobid.

But because they missed that field goal not even make the playoffs?! I think the committee will use some discretion. 

SUU could be one missed field goal away from winning a Big Sky Championship and getting an autobid.

But because they missed that field goal not even make the playoffs?! I think the committee will use some discretion. 

Nope,  SOS and WL

And we're one injury away from being 8-2 with the autobid in hand

• Upvote 1

But they would only have 6 D1 wins, and it's hard to put them in with so many other teams out there with 7 D1 wins.  Stranger things have happened, I know, but it just feels like a win or go home for them - I think a lot of things need to happen for them to be in consideration if they lose.

I took this off the NCAA football pre-Championship manual.

NCAA simple rating system (NCAA SRS) The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will use the NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) as a tool for evaluating teams for selection into the 24-team championship. The NCAA SRS is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

A team’s SOS measure is simply the average NCAA SRS rating of that team’s opponents for the season. A team’s WL measure factors whether a game was won or lost; the location of the game (home/away/neutral site); and the NCAA (sub)division of the opponent.

1. In a game between two FCS teams played at a neutral site, the winning team gets one point and the losing team loses one point.

2. In a game between two FCS teams played at a non-neutral site, a home win counts 0.75 for the home team and -0.75 for the losing team.  A road team win counts 1.25 for the visiting team and -1.25 for the home team.  In other words, there is a bonus/penalty of +/- 0.25 for the home/away teams depending on the outcome.

3. An additional bonus/penalty of +/-  0.1 is added/deducted for games that FCS teams play against FBS/non-Division I opponents. For instance, a home FCS win against a Division II opponent counts only as +0.65 points (0.75 for a home win - 0.1 penalty for playing a Division II opponent).  In addition, a road FCS win against an FBS opponent counts +1.35 points for the FCS team (1.25 points for a road win + 0.1 bonus for beating an FBS opponent).

4. The WL measure is then doubled to equalize the contributions of the WL factor and SOS factor toward a team’s NCAA SRS rating.

5. Finally, new for the 2015 season, margin of victory will be factored into a team’s NCAA SRS rating. This component is capped at 21 points. The teams’ ratings are independent in that one team’s rating depends on its opponents’ ratings, which depend on their opponents’ ratings, etc., based on the “network” of college football games played each week during the football season. The NCAA SRS will also standardize the data in order to equalize the variance in total number of games played (i.e., 11 or 12 regular-season games). Games against Division III or non-NCAA opponents are not factored into any team’s NCAA SRS rating. The time of the season in which a game is played (early-season versus late-season games) is also not factored into a team’s NCAA SRS rating. The  NCAA SRS will not “force select” any teams into the championship; rather, it is one of several resources that the Football Championship Committee will have at its disposal when debating the merits of teams under consideration for championship selection. The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will begin reviewing NCAA SRS data during the later portion of the football season as it prepares for championship selections. At that time, NCAA SRS rankings may also be posted on the NCAA website (www.ncaa.com/fcs).

This makes the Wins at Wyoming and Portland St.  huge because they were road victories.

• Upvote 2

A few years ago, Lehigh was undefeated and playing the last regular season game against a conference team with a few non-conference losses, but also undefeated in the conference.  The winner would receive the auto-bid.  Lehigh lost the game and ended the regular season with one loss, and was left out of the playoffs.

crazy things happen this time of year!

A few years ago, Lehigh was undefeated and playing the last regular season game against a conference team with a few non-conference losses, but also undefeated in the conference.  The winner would receive the auto-bid.  Lehigh lost the game and ended the regular season with one loss, and was left out of the playoffs.

crazy things happen this time of year!

So you're saying even a 10-1 team isn't guaranteed to make the playoffs. Let alone 7-4 ;)

Lehigh finished second in the conference that is one bid conference when it was still 16 playoff field.

Edited by Cratter

That could be a dream come true.....I have to imagine our bid is bigger than your bid (Southern Utah) for a home play-off.  Plus, a great revenge game.  Then off to the Jacks.....that's an easy drive, to what field is that again??

Hate to throw this out there but it's a good thing - we must be on the NCAAs Nice List now because we just chose a new nickname. If we had just made the decision to go as "North Dakota" I'm saying that would have been a factor for a bubble team. 

Edited by CMSioux

Here it shows us playing at SUU. If SUU wins the conference championship and the auto-bid by beating Northern Arizona on Saturday, and UND beats Cal Poly and matches up with SUU, who gets the home game?

Does SUU get it because they won the conference?

Or is it the higher bid? If its this case, I feel good about UND outbidding SUU.

Here it shows us playing at SUU. If SUU wins the conference championship and the auto-bid by beating Northern Arizona on Saturday, and UND beats Cal Poly and matches up with SUU, who gets the home game?

Or is it the higher bid? If its this case, I feel good about UND outbidding SUU.

Pretty sure it would still be based on the bid. 

If SUU beats NAU, they finish w/ 8-1 conference record & the Big Sky championship... If SUU loses, they'd be 7-4 w/ only 6 DI wins.  (Beat DII Bravard College).  Most predictions show the loser of SUU-NAU staying home. 

If SUU is not seeded in top 8 (likely won't be), they will have to bid like all others...

it would be based on a bid to host.

Southern Utah has the 16th hardest schedule in FCS.

North Dakota has the 51th hardest schedule in FCS.

Is this right!?  S Utah has the 16th hardest schedule????  There wins include teams that are currently 5-5, 5-5, 4-6, 5-5, 2-8, 1-9 and the 0-11 d2 team.  Their losses are utah st 5-5, sdsu 8-2 and 8-2 port st.  The combined L-W record of the opposing teams are 43-58 includes d2 team and only sdsu playoff bound. Unds combined 45-55 includes fbs and montana ( potential) and ndsu as playoff bound.  Something doesn't add up 

• Upvote 2

Bid.  

• Upvote 1