SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye Week

SWSiouxMN

The Massey Ratings give UND a 74% chance to beat UNC but just a 22% chance to beat Cal Poly. Hopefully Portland State can beat up on UNC a bit this week so they come in with their tail between their legs. I do think UND's defense matches up pretty well with Cal Poly but they are pretty good for a two win team.

The unc game has me a little bit worried.  Being at home and having an extra week off will be nice, just hope the team doesn't over look any team! Bubba is always focused and has this this on the right path , but sometimes the players see the opponent as don't play up their standards.  Unc lost on a last sec fg to e wash 2 weeks ago.  They are an improved team over the years past and literally have nothing to lose.  They are not necessarily a good team but anything can happen, aka South Dakota.   Und is still beat up, missing several marquee players on d, just one gem at a time!!!

UND needs to execute coming out of the bye week and get it done. UNC is improved, but they still haven't played lights out on the road. UND needs a solid crowd at the Alerus Center for this game. I doubt there will be much over 7k or 8k due to deer hunting, but those that do attend need to get loud and help out the defense. UND needs to win at least one game handily this season; too many close games are a bit too draining. Execute early and often and put away UNC.

GO UND!

The unc game has me a little bit worried.  Being at home and having an extra week off will be nice, just hope the team doesn't over look any team! Bubba is always focused and has this this on the right path , but sometimes the players see the opponent as don't play up their standards.  Unc lost on a last sec fg to e wash 2 weeks ago.  They are an improved team over the years past and literally have nothing to lose.  They are not necessarily a good team but anything can happen, aka South Dakota.   Und is still beat up, missing several marquee players on d, just one gem at a time!!!

I don't disagree with you too much but I think that UND has to handle the UNC game after a bye week and being at home..,we just have to put them away. Since the team has already been on a three game slide, I guess I am less worried about us overlooking them. I had a good feeling before the MSU game, and the bye week will allow us to become healthier which is much needed so I am still feeling positive about the last two games.

• Upvote 2

If I looked at the right FCS coaches poll,  Montana State is ranked #24 and we got  1 vote in the  teams that are not ranked  category  .    Our record is 5 wins and 4 losses with 1 FBS win.    Montana State's record is 4 wins and 4 losses with 1 win over a D2   school.    If I am not mistaken we just beat them.    How does that poll work????    Did I look at the wrong poll  week?    We did just beat them didn't we?

Sioux Football Insider made an interesting comment this morning when he said UND's two big drubbings this season came at the hands of NDSU and Montana. Both were coming off of bye weeks and had lots of time to focus, study, watch and heal up.  Hopefully that kind of effect is true for UND going into our home contest against UNC.

If I looked at the right FCS coaches poll,  Montana State is ranked #24 and we got  1 vote in the  teams that are not ranked  category  .    Our record is 5 wins and 4 losses with 1 FBS win.    Montana State's record is 4 wins and 4 losses with 1 win over a D2   school.    If I am not mistaken we just beat them.    How does that poll work????    Did I look at the wrong poll  week?    We did just beat them didn't we?

We had a 3 game losing streak, they did not. They've been able to hover in the polls because of that and their reputation. We don't yet have a good reputation for the polls.

So as a coach on the bye week, do you take a day or two this week to look at Cal Poly film to get a head start on your defensive game plan for that?  You still have a couple days this week and all of next week to prepare for UNC.

I'm not totally surprised we aren't in the polls and MSU is, but I am surprised we only got one vote.

So as a coach on the bye week, do you take a day or two this week to look at Cal Poly film to get a head start on your defensive game plan for that?  You still have a couple days this week and all of next week to prepare for UNC.

I'm not totally surprised we aren't in the polls and MSU is, but I am surprised we only got one vote.

One  game at a time.  As a coach you might if you have time after you are prepared for UNC. If you don't beat UNC, the Cal Poly game is only for pride. Players look only at UNC film and prepare for UNC.  

• Upvote 2

Yes. Start the week with a quick look at Poly on film. Then UNC. That way some of it will be review for the Poly game.

Absolutely not. How are you supposed to comprehensively gameplan for UNC with the Cal Poly offense in mind. Coaches can look at both for sure, but the players need to focus on their NEXT opponent, UNC.

Focus on UNC and let's get that win first. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not. How are you supposed to comprehensively gameplan for UNC with the Cal Poly offense in mind. Coaches can look at both for sure, but the players need to focus on their NEXT opponent, UNC.

We'll 2 weeks before the Montana state game the players were fully game planning for Montana. Somehow they were able to switch gears and think about Montana state. 

We should use two weeks effectively not just spend twice as much time on the next opponent. 

We'll 2 weeks before the Montana state game the players were fully game planning for Montana. Somehow they were able to switch gears and think about Montana state. 

We should use two weeks effectively not just spend twice as much time on the next opponent. 

How did that Montana game work out? If they were focusing on Montana State in advance, it didn't work out against Montana. Your argument holds no water due to the lopsided  result of that game, although preparation is not necessarily what caused that blowout loss. 

Point is simple: If UND doesn't beat UNC, the Cal Poly game has no playoff implications. Let's get 6 wins before we're thinking about 7. Day by day; Bubba will have the players thinking right. 

• Upvote 2

I was very happy to see Grady get up at all. I cringe at what would've happened without the brace the offensive linemen wear. 

The bye week is coming at a great time. Get Studsrud, Reyes, Grady, et al, an extra week before the final push. 

As far as "winning two", you only win one at a time. And how do you do that?

#daybyday

#playbyplay

• Upvote 1

Olivera not practicing this week either are 3 un named lineman 

Just hope all the guys that aren't season ending injuries, can heal up and compete the final 2 games.

Lets end the season strong, then cross the fingers on potentially a playoff game (wow!) and let's be heard loud and often for the seniors on senior day.  Ratelle and the boys have given it all,  hope the fans and students (calling all students) can return the favor !!   

• Upvote 3

You have 13 days to prepare for UNC, normally you have 6.   When I said as coaches, I meant just that....just the coaches looking at Poly film ahead of time,  I didn't mean you are going to be having the team out practicing and preparing for Poly over the next two weeks.  But as a coach I'd think you'd want to start watching some tape on Poly now to get a head start on it, so the Sunday after the UNC game you already have a head start on your Poly film work and game plan so you can start working on it with the players as soon as possible after the UNC game.   Yes if we don't beat UNC first, Poly doesn't matter.  But the same thing applies, if we beat UNC but don't beat Poly, the win against UNC doesn't matter either.  UNC showed they can play against EWU so we definitely can't overlook them, we will have our hands full.  But I think most of us agree the Poly game will be tougher game especially on the road.