SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber Game Thread

bincitysioux

Point is with the injuries our staff feels the base personnel is better than bringing in a nickel back for a linebacker.  Just because our secondary started off this season as much improved over previous years doesn't mean we are at a high level.  Without Reyes in the line-up our secondary is pretty weak.  With him in, average.  An Average secondary won't cut it in the BSC. 

As a team, outside of Santiago, Ratelle, and Reyes to a certain extent we don't have any real difference makers on this year's team.  We need more difference makers thru player development, recruiting, transfers........however the hell we get them, we need more special players.  

USD corners didn't seem to have any problem yesterday with one-on-one match ups with NDSU.........we did.

Agree on the coaching adjustments.......we seem to be out of ideas by the 4th quarter.

I was very impressed with USDs secondary yesterday. They weren't scared of NDSUs wrs.

Meanwhile we go true soph true fr senior walk on and junior.

Basically next year our secondary should be better and really good the year after.

I heard Arnell could be back, surgery went well, and he gets his year back.  So him and Reyes will be Juniors next year.

• Upvote 2

I absolutely knew this would come up, and I'd bet that Bubba knows Mollberg is worse than Bartels, or he would have played him.   I've never been overly impressed with Mollberg and we just have to hope Studs comes back pretty soon.   Sorry, but that's how I view it.

Of course it would come up. Same if the roles were different except a couple of you folks only blame the oline problems or receiver problems when you look at Studsrud.  Studsrud fits Bubba's philosophy of conservative, control the ball with a ground game,  throw when you have to. He has done what he was asked. If you are satisfied with that, then he is your guy. An athletic running QB?  That would be the USD or UNI guys and they throw better. Bartels ran the ball pretty well and has a better arm.  Joe has the best arm and can also run the ball.  Studsrud made the same poor throws Bartels did Saturday and he fumbled 4 times.  Bartels is a less than average runner with a decent arm. The QB isn't losing these games for us, they just aren't winning them. Would Mollberg?  Don't know, they decided last December he isn't part of their plan and they haven't given him a shot.  If Bartels struggles, I would hope they would give him a chance. He was playing pretty well for us when he got hurt.  Only one interception in his last three games and completing 64% of his passes.  He has earned the chance to be next man up after the beating he took as a freshman and Soph.  I support the coaches and program but if we can't help any of these 3 guys develop then we have a coaching problem for our QBs. Other programs develop kids. We seem to be having trouble developing our QB's and receivers.

Of course it would come up. Same if the roles were different except a couple of you folks only blame the oline problems or receiver problems when you look at Studsrud.  Studsrud fits Bubba's philosophy of conservative, control the ball with a ground game,  throw when you have to. He has done what he was asked. If you are satisfied with that, then he is your guy. An athletic running QB?  That would be the USD or UNI guys and they throw better. Bartels ran the ball pretty well and has a better arm.  Joe has the best arm and can also run the ball.  Studsrud made the same poor throws Bartels did Saturday and he fumbled 4 times.  Bartels is a less than average runner with a decent arm. The QB isn't losing these games for us, they just aren't winning them. Would Mollberg?  Don't know, they decided last December he isn't part of their plan and they haven't given him a shot.  If Bartels struggles, I would hope they would give him a chance. He was playing pretty well for us when he got hurt.  Only one interception in his last three games and completing 64% of his passes.  He has earned the chance to be next man up after the beating he took as a freshman and Soph.  I support the coaches and program but if we can't help any of these 3 guys develop then we have a coaching problem for our QBs. Other programs develop kids. We seem to be having trouble developing our QB's and receivers.

My question about Joe is why doesn't he drop some weight to gain speed and overall athleticism? He's big and strong but also fairly chubby. Maybe if he lost like 15lbs of fat and replaced it with 5 lbs of muscle he'd not only have an NFL arm but he'd be able to move better as well. 

is joe at 100%?  has anyone asked the coaches/trainer if he is? is his mobility noticeably less after this injury? you would think that joe would the two if he was healthy but maybe his isnt'

My question about Joe is why doesn't he drop some weight to gain speed and overall athleticism? He's big and strong but also fairly chubby. Maybe if he lost like 15lbs of fat and replaced it with 5 lbs of muscle he'd not only have an NFL arm but he'd be able to move better as well. 

i've said this since is went to memorial to see him practice a couple years ago...looked too big/chubby...he needs to look more like the usd qb...more lean 

is joe at 100%?  has anyone asked the coaches/trainer if he is? is his mobility noticeably less after this injury? you would think that joe would the two if he was healthy but maybe his isnt'

He has recovered from his Achilles injury and it has healed nicely. He wasn't able to participate in spring ball but he progressed through his therapy this spring.  Participated in summer workouts. Came in at #3 this fall. I think that is understandable. He was nicked up this fall for a few days but not his repaired Achilles.  At #3 he doesn't get reps in practice. I was simply commenting on the derogatory comment from another  blogger.  If Bartels struggles, then Joe has done enough to get a shot. With his ability as an athlete and his arm strength , it would be a mistake not to know if he can play. Potentially he is the guy who can win games for us even with the receivers we have.  I'd like to know if he can do it.  I believe he can. 

He has recovered from his Achilles injury and it has healed nicely. He wasn't able to participate in spring ball but he progressed through his therapy this spring.  Participated in summer workouts. Came in at #3 this fall. I think that is understandable. He was nicked up this fall for a few days but not his repaired Achilles.  At #3 he doesn't get reps in practice. I was simply commenting on the derogatory comment from another  blogger.  If Bartels struggles, then Joe has done enough to get a shot. With his ability as an athlete and his arm strength , it would be a mistake not to know if he can play. Potentially he is the guy who can win games for us even with the receivers we have.  I'd like to know if he can do it.  I believe he can. 

I've been all in on Mollberg since the Montana and PSU games last year. He showed me something in those games. If he can be that guy pre injury then I want him to get the shot.

I see.  I thought the inference was that Mollberg should get a shot regardless of injuries.

I think it was. 

I thought your inference was Studsrud has proven he can win games for us. 

I'm just saying some people have said that Studsrud might be done for the season. None of us know I guess. 

We also don't know if Mollberg is even at 100% after his injuries.

I said before I don't think any of the Qbs are that much different from each other. They all have their pros and cons. 

But we do know Studsrud was winning football games until he went down. And that's all you can ask for.

Edited by Cratter

I see.  I thought the inference was that Mollberg should get a shot regardless of injuries.

No, I responded to the comments as to whether or not he should get a shot. I understand Studsrud is out. Were he not, and if we are winning or if he is playing well, you stick with him.  I said the same at beginning of season when he was named starter.  I said "if Bartels struggles",  Joe should get a chance.  I don't believe our QB's have won games for us.  We have won games with Studsrud at QB.  We haven't won games because of him.  He has done what asked of him and been adequate. We didn't pee a drop against the Bison and he struggled. We have beaten Wyoming, Drake and Cal Davis.  3 terrible teams.  Nice win against Portland and he contributed in all of those wins.  I'm talking about a dominant game by a QB where he either dominates as a runner or passer when nothing else is working. We haven't seen that from any of these guys yet.  We've lost two games in a row cuz we couldn't protect 14 point leads in the second half. If our QB is struggling I would play any of the other three.   

Lot's of reasons to stop the run first, but if you can't think of any I really don't have a lot of hope in your understanding of football in general.  Tough loss and I will agree the mental mistakes are a huge problem but this team is still leaps and bounds ahead of what it was 3 years ago

Totally agree, except I would also say that it's leaps and bounds ahead of where it was two years ago, or even a year ago.

I've been all in on Mollberg since the Montana and PSU games last year. He showed me something in those games. If he can be that guy pre injury then I want him to get the shot.

I definitely like Mollberg over Bartels. I do understand why they want studsrud in there, but if he is injured then go with joe. 

I do hope that Rudolph re-evaluates his play calling this week. Particularly later in the game. There were a few drives, where I just could not understand what he was trying to accomplish. Its not that he calls bad plays, but the timing of some of the plays is pretty strange. Seem like in the 4th quarter he was trying to pick up some longer plays rather than just short yardage plays. With a lead, lets just control the clock, not look to a  passing game that has been anemic. That NEEDS to be addressed this week.

Tough to speculate just going off the radio call but UND was trying to run the ball in the second half and Weber was selling out, filling every gap. You'd think that would leave the middle of the field open, but UND tried going there and promptly threw an interception. That's where plays like Studsrud's boot leg would have been helpful. UND's last five drives included three 3-and-outs, a first down followed by a fumble and a turnover on downs.  One first down in five drives to end the game when you're up by 11 is how you blow a lead in the fourth quarter for the second consecutive week.

Another sad blown game.  UND has pissed 2 away in 2 straight weeks.  Pretty crazy to think UND could be sitting atop the Big Sky with a 6-1 overall record right now and just waiting for playoffs.  Bison meanwhile crapped the bed too at home.  One of the worst losses i've seen of them in the past 5 years.

It really is pretty heartbreaking. Considering we had such a nice start, and were really outperforming expectations. This team is so close to being 6-1, but the fact that we are not, just shows there is still a gap between where we are and where we need to be. Expectations will be even higher next season, but I could also see the Big Sky being a stronger conference next year. Seems like kind of a down year for a few teams.

I thought after they blew the lead last week they surely would step up and not do it again. I was wrong. They needed to do what they did a few times earlier in the year, 6-8 minute drives to eat up the clock in the 4th.

exactly. easier said than done, but its their job to get it done. Too bad they blew such a great oppotunity. Hopefully they come out strong in MT.