SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State: Gut Check Week

SWSiouxMN

As I sit here drinking my coffee and reading the blog, I am truly astonished at what I am reading.

Unless the Cornerback Teacher is a 59 year male named Andre Blast was fortunate enough to retire and relocate to Minnesota from Alexandria Virginia a little over 3 year ago because his wife was transferred, we are not the same person!  I became a UND fan because of my neighbors. One attended North Dakota State and the other the University of North Dakota.  I picked UND because they were the underdogs and I like pulling for the underdog.   

I find it really unfortunate that because I agree with someone that we have to be one in the same person or “have an axe to grind because of a special relationship with a kid that's not seen much playing time”. I agree with AFMSGT that there seems to emotion here but it’s not from me at least with regards to who plays or not. I don’t think that there are any standouts on team with the exception of the Kicker (who seems to nail it every time).

I have read this board for a while without bothering to sign up or chime in but the one time I do, it appears to be an issue (guess because I didn’t chime in prior my post are not creditable). I have read you guys go back and forth about which QB should play or which WR should get time, who should be in what position and how bad the secondary looked in the Idaho game but I guess because I’m new posting here, there has to be a motive behind my opinion REPREHENSIBLE!  I’m wondering at this point is there an ax to grind on that end? While I’m on my rant I think that if Reyes isn’t back, Flowers should get a chance as it appears that the Safety’s didn’t do too well in last game according to the statements posted. Having said that, don’t worry about me saying anything else since a difference of opinion is not excepted unless you’re a long time blogger.  Hope the rest of season pans out. I will still be watching the bad feed of the game and I’ll still root for you SILENTLY!

I would have liked to see Flowers in, too.  Swede was a step slow with some bad angles, Johnson is more of a run support Safety, also had some terrible angles to the ball, and what I hear about Flowers is he has good ball skills.

To chime in about C. Carter, he is really a thick and strong kid, great effort all the time.  I think the concern is his speed could be a liability with 1 on 1 matchups.  Seems like maybe at outside backer or safety could be an option.......or maybe a nickel/dime package but with teams not huddling they force you to stay in your base package.

Thanks for following UND football.

What is this . . . my second post I think?  Let's all just agree that nothing on this board will be (or should be) taken into consideration by anyone of importance.  Good god, and if it were, what kind of coaching staff would that make for!!??

Anyway, I think UND shows up for games better on the road for some reason.  Maybe they concentrate and focus just a bit more before the games without all of the "family in town, girlfriend, party the night before" distractions.

I have a feeling UND will put up the good fight this weekend at Weber State.

Are you sure.....

I asked why Brown was even playing......and now he isn't.

I would have liked to see Flowers in, too.  Swede was a step slow with some bad angles, Johnson is more of a run support Safety, also had some terrible angles to the ball, and what I hear about Flowers is he has good ball skills.

To chime in about C. Carter, he is really a thick and strong kid, great effort all the time.  I think the concern is his speed could be a liability with 1 on 1 matchups.  Seems like maybe at outside backer or safety could be an option.......or maybe a nickel/dime package but with teams not huddling they force you to stay in your base package.

Thanks for following UND football.

thanks grundy for bring us back to reality . My opinion is not official. I support the team win or lose or who's on the field. I believe the coaches will play the man they believe will get the job done. Und coaches support their families off of football so i know with all my heart they are playing to win. 

what is the magical number of posts to gain credibility?

Two more than me. ;) 

Folk, please, if you have a problem with something here go after the message, not the messenger. (The admins will take care of problem messengers.) 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

What is this . . . my second post I think?  Let's all just agree that nothing on this board will be (or should be) taken into consideration by anyone of importance.  Good god, and if it were, what kind of coaching staff would that make for!!??

Anyway, I think UND shows up for games better on the road for some reason.  Maybe they concentrate and focus just a bit more before the games without all of the "family in town, girlfriend, party the night before" distractions.

I have a feeling UND will put up the good fight this weekend at Weber State.

I sure hope that is not happening. Waiting to have fun on Saturday night after the game shouldn't be that tough.

Yup exactly.  Montana is hurting with their QB situation so you never know if they could surprise them but i don't think any of those games will matter unless they win at Weber 1st.  If they lose i see no shot at even being playoff worthy.  The Idaho St game was a must win and should have been an easy win too.

It should have been an easy win. However last week I had a bad feeling about the game simply due to our depleted Safety position. Safety is arguably the most important position in a 3-4 defense that is facing a pass happy offense. Studsrud going down for the 4th quarter hurt as well. 

This week against Weber I believe the linebackers will be the group that needs to shine. 

One thing we also have to remember is that this is life in the FCS and more specifically the Big Sky Conference.  I'm not saying we should accept this loss, because it was a bad one.  This loss hurt.  However, this conference top to bottom has improved dramatically since even our arrival into the conference.

Even a few years down the road when we are heavily-favored against BSC teams below us, we will have some losses like this here and there.

Just ask Montana, who lost to Weber State at home last week for the first time in almost 30 years.

You obviously want to avoid them at all costs, but it was/is inevitable, especially given the injury and youth and depth situation.

I just hope we can rebound from here on out, get healthy and stay healthy.

• Upvote 4

With Studsrud out this week, with the lack of mobility with the other QB's, with the play calling not really surprising anyone as far as run/pass.........let's put a 'runner' in the Wildcat to take some snaps for a change of pace.  I think Keaton has broke 2 of these  runs for TDs and other runs were good gainers...........This idea is not too far out there  -

• Upvote 2

No dam fumbles Santiago . Thanks

im excited to see what bartles can bring to the table. I think his passing can boost the team overall. If he is a flop then I will have to finally accept studsrud. 

Well, there is a good chance he is going to flop so get ready.  I don't see Golladay, Hardin, and Jackson running around out there.  There is nobody to throw to and he cannot run.  Not his fault but this offense is setup for a running QB.  

If I recall correctly Bartles didn't have much of a run game behind him when he started. Couple this with a week taking first team reps I think he has a chance to play well. Also, I like Studs but I think Bartles can make more of the throws that Studs has been missing. Time will tell but fortunately I don't have the same bad feeling that I had this time last week. 

I'd like to see the formation we ran on the last play of the game last week a little more.  Put Santiago out wide and put Oliveria in the backfield.  A couple handoffs to Oliveria would open up the Santiago fly route down the sideline.  I would have actually liked to see that play call last week at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  

Straight out of the Bob Babich playbook but this offense is setting up that type of play call.  

With Studsrud out this week, with the lack of mobility with the other QB's, with the play calling not really surprising anyone as far as run/pass.........let's put a 'runner' in the Wildcat to take some snaps for a change of pace.  I think Keaton has broke 2 of these  runs for TDs and other runs were good gainers...........This idea is not too far out there  -

Good idea but when you put a runner in the wildcat, teams are going to be looking for the run.  When you have Keaton in there, he has the option to pass which keeps teams on their toes... not as much with the wildcat.

I'd like to see the formation we ran on the last play of the game last week a little more.  Put Santiago out wide and put Oliveria in the backfield.  A couple handoffs to Oliveria would open up the Santiago fly route down the sideline.  I would have actually liked to see that play call last week at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  

Straight out of the Bob Babich playbook but this offense is setting up that type of play call.  

As long as we see the formation we ran on the last play of the game against Portland State, I'm cool with it.

Edited by southpaw
  • Upvote 2

Good idea but when you put a runner in the wildcat, teams are going to be looking for the run.  When you have Keaton in there, he has the option to pass which keeps teams on their toes... not as much with the wildcat.

I already covered that.......we rarely surprise anyone with when we run/pass anyway, so what's the difference?

We 'should' have more pass options off that formation, to keep teams on their toes, so I know what you are saying.

Edited by gundy1124
add content

I too hope we play a complete game this week. If we can put a solid 4 qtrs together, force a turnover or two, and avoid turnovers in the second half, I think I we can get a tough win in Utah this weekend. A special teams TD would be nice also.

I like the idea of that too.  However since Santiago is a true freshman, I wonder if they are staying away from that.........so that he doesn't have to be focusing on two positions instead of just RB.  They could certainly limit it so that there were only a couple of plays for him at wide out so that it didn't over load him with plays to remember.  However with limited reps at wide out, next thing you know he isn't lined up properly or something and we get a flag.   With that said it would be nice to see both of them on the field at the same time, and maybe something that will be coming down the road.  I wonder what the longer term plan is going to be with Smith other than the jet sweep, to take advantage of his speed.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of that too.  However since Santiago is a true freshman, I wonder if they are staying away from that.........so that he doesn't have to be focusing on two positions instead of just RB.  They could certainly limit it so that there were only a couple of plays for him at wide out so that it didn't over load him with plays to remember.  However with limited reps at wide out, next thing you know he isn't lined up properly or something and we get a flag.   With that said it would be nice to see both of them on the field at the same time, and maybe something that will be coming down the road.  I wonder what the longer term plan is going to be with Smith other than the jet sweep, to take advantage of his speed.

Nice young nucleus of skill position players. UND needs to get the ball into the hands of Santiago, Olivera, and Smith. Also, I do agree that they need to do things to get all of these guys on the field, perhaps all at once, and have them do different things (Santiago in screen game, out wide with bubble screens and go routes; Smith in the backfield more and running more routes downfield, and of course, Olivera needs more touches in 21 and 22 personnel - the kid is a workhorse and a physical back). Over the next few years, the combination of these three getting better will be fun to watch!