SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

I noticed a couple very nice throws that Studsrud doesn't seem to make (Bartles also had a really bad throw...probably a timing/miscommunication issue).

But Studsrud is the runner that the coaches seem want the offense to be. 

The Defense lost the game for us on Saturday. (or injuries lost the game).

or turnover lost the game

or turnover lost the game

Like others have pointed out the UND Defense could have had some turnovers themselves. Like the batted down ball that could have been a easy interception for the Cornerback.

Then there was the "turnover" where UND blocked the punt.

I wouldn't say turnovers lost the game.

Honestly, I don't feel we have lost any games thus far due to QB play, and I don't think we've won any games thus far due to QB play.  My preference is for Studsrud because I feel he is a great leader and is more dynamic and is a better athlete than Bartles or Mollberg.  I think UND can excel with any of those three taking snaps, given the offense that Rudolph and Bubba seem to want to run.  Studsrud needs to correct the fact that he "stares down" his receivers.  But that last heave-ho throw that Bartles made toward Santiago to end the game was be-fuddling to me.  And that is coming from a Junior that has 4 years invested into the program.

UND will be lucky to win 2 more games this year. We don't havethe depth on defense to hold back mediocre offenses and we are stuck with a QB on offense that throws like a high school QB. I hope bartles plays and shows us we can have a dual attack

You sure throw around that word "lucky" a lot, to the point where it means nothing. With Reyes (and eventually Greely), UND's defense will be very close to resembling the defense that played well and won UND its first two conference games. Also, Stusdrud is much more athletic than an average "high school QB" - that puts a lot of pressure on a defense and it is what works for UND right now. 

When UND wins more than two games, remember that your assessments were far too drastic and impulsive.  

Like others have pointed out the UND Defense could have had some turnovers themselves. Like the batted down ball that could have been a easy interception for the Cornerback.

Losing the turnover margin -3 is not good and was a factor in UND losing. If UND doesn't give the ball away 3 times in the first half, UND is likely up 21-7 or even 21-0 at half; that wins the game for UND. 

Not going to argue that our D couldn't have done more. But the interception was a horrific pass that never should have been thrown and the muffed punt was just unacceptable.

Agreed.....TO's were a big part of it.  Having a -3 in TO margin.......historically you probably have a 15-20% chance of winning (I didn't look those stats up.....just guessing).   

All three turnovers played a big part, as we were in their territory and driving on both the interception and fumble, and I believe they scored their first TD on the muffed punt.  Not saying we would have scored a TD on both drives, but if we had, that's a potential 3 TD turnaround.

Honestly, I don't feel we have lost any games thus far due to QB play, and I don't think we've won any games thus far due to QB play.  My preference is for Studsrud because I feel he is a great leader and is more dynamic and is a better athlete than Bartles or Mollberg.  I think UND can excel with any of those three taking snaps, given the offense that Rudolph and Bubba seem to want to run.  Studsrud needs to correct the fact that he "stares down" his receivers.  But that last heave-ho throw that Bartles made toward Santiago to end the game was be-fuddling to me.  And that is coming from a Junior that has 4 years invested into the program.

I'm trying grasp your last 2 sentences here...who sent in that play call? Who else was a receiving option on that play?  To throw Bartels under the bus on a horrible play call by the OC seems to be a stretch IMO.

I'm trying grasp your last 2 sentences here...who sent in that play call? Who else was a receiving option on that play?  To throw Bartels under the bus on a horrible play call by the OC seems to be a stretch IMO.

I think there was some questions as to why we through down field, into coverage, to our shortest receiver, who has played RB all season, when Luke Stanley was available as a shorter, high percentage pass. I think the confusion was why we went downfield with a minute left on the clock, rather that just trying to get the first down and move the chains.

Easy to question after the fact. Maybe they though they would catch the defense off guard.Hindsight is 20/20

Edited by siouxfan512

Do you really think the priority A1 route on that formation/play call was to throw to Santiago on a fade?  C'mon people, think a little bit.  

Santiago was the clearing route.  They put him out there, as ISU did with Finney a lot, to run long and clear out the corner and hopefully the safety.  He did exactly that.  The problem is that Bartels actually threw the ball to him.  

Luke Stanley was the #3 WR and Brandon Walker was the #2 WR.  Both did Out Routes at 9 yards (needed 6).  Stanley was actually wide open by 3 yards as his guy was a LB who broke late to cover him.  Perfect play call to get the first down and reset the chains.  Just throw the ball where you are supposed to and things may have worked out.  

• Upvote 2

Do you really think the priority A1 route on that formation/play call was to throw to Santiago on a fade?  C'mon people, think a little bit.  

Santiago was the clearing route.  They put him out there, as ISU did with Finney a lot, to run long and clear out the corner and hopefully the safety.  He did exactly that.  The problem is that Bartels actually threw the ball to him.  

Luke Stanley was the #3 WR and Brandon Walker was the #2 WR.  Both did Out Routes at 9 yards (needed 6).  Stanley was actually wide open by 3 yards as his guy was a LB who broke late to cover him.  Perfect play call to get the first down and reset the chains.  Just throw the ball where you are supposed to and things may have worked out.  

Never said Santiago was A1 but in the grand scheme of things as the whole game unfolded I find it interesting that that one play was the difference in the game and Bartels gets called out by some here. Again the D went into the fetal position with a 15 point 4th quarter lead. Plenty of blame to go around.....including the early turnovers.  If Bartels has to start Saturday I don't feel any less comfortable with him behind center than I do with Studs from an offensive standpoint. Neither play D..........

Never said Santiago was A1 but in the grand scheme of things as the whole game unfolded I find it interesting that that one play was the difference in the game and Bartels gets called out by some here. Again the D went into the fetal position with a 15 point 4th quarter lead. Plenty of blame to go around.....including the early turnovers.

I don't think Bartels made a good decision in throwing to Sanitago, but its also not like he has played much. The truth is if our D hadn't had such an epic collapse Bartels would never have been in that position.

Ultimately there is enough blame to go around. The fumbles, our D, Bartels decision, but most Eversports and their terrible webcast.

A defense can only do so much when the offense goes 3 and out so many times in a row. That leaves no time for adjustments. And we all know that the main factor was that we relied on two run stopping safeties to try and stop an all out passing attack. In the beginning of the game, minus the turnovers, the offense and defense were complimenting each other and we were dominating. Then both the offense and defense shite the bed.

A defense can only do so much when the offense goes 3 and out so many times in a row. That leaves no time for adjustments. And we all know that the main factor was that we relied on two run stopping safeties to try and stop an all out passing attack. In the beginning of the game, minus the turnovers, the offense and defense were complimenting each other and we were dominating. Then both the offense and defense shite the bed.

Starting with 13 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, UND had 3 drives following Idaho State TD's.  Those three totaled 9 plays and 14 yards with no first downs taking up a whopping 3:50 of clock.

Idaho State was a terrible match-up for how and where UND was banged up. EWU and maybe MSU would have been the only other two conference teams that would have been worse. That being said, UND gave the game away with multiple big errors on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1

Can the UND Sports Information/Media department update the football schedule page on the website to show the ISU loss?  It's Monday for cripes sake.   

I do see they have the Hockey schedule page updated with the score from the Maine game, which was played 6 hours after the football game.  Hopefully, they can find some time to update the football page this week.  

Still not updated....

• Upvote 1

My point was that I simply didn't like the decision to throw that pass on 4th and 6 with a minute to play.  Whether or not the OC told the QB that was to be his first option or whether it was Bartles' decision, I don't think any of us will ever know.  My own personal opinion is that given the conservative nature of our OC, I don't think it's likely he orders up a home run ball in that situation.  I don't think I'm throwing anyone under the bus.  Bartles is very capable, but I don't like how that play unfolded, and he was a big part of it.  

In the long run it is probably not an issue if Studsrud doesn't throw a horrible pick to start the game and Santiago doesn't fumble it away for the 5th time in 6 games.

• Upvote 1

well, good to know he is ok, i guess. 

Guys, guys he's Canadian. He only tweets about former UND football players playing in the CFL or ones playing him in floor hockey. Everybody knows that. Seriously, he does need to do a better job with football but unfortunately UND is a hockey first school.

• Downvote 1

Guys, guys he's Canadian. He only tweets about former UND football players playing in the CFL or ones playing him in floor hockey. Everybody knows that. Seriously, he does need to do a better job with football but unfortunately UND is a hockey first school.

Agreed, and I love hockey, and most schools have a primary sport. But if he is too "busy" (tweeting) to even be able to get simple things done, then bring in someone else to do it. Heck there are tons of student, that would probably love to work within an athletic department, and would work for cheap too. You could probably even get volunteers to do some of the work.

• Upvote 2

Agreed, and I love hockey, and most schools have a primary sport. But if he is too "busy" (tweeting) to even be able to get simple things done, then bring in someone else to do it. Heck there are tons of student, that would probably love to work within an athletic department, and would work for cheap too. You could probably even get volunteers to do some of the work.

To be fair, I am pretty sure he is not in charge of the website.  But somebody else is.