SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Portland St.

siouxfan512

Coming off of a solid win against UC-Davis, why wait to look forward to next weekend? Still a lot of room for improvement for this team, but they have done plenty of things well. Portland St. will be a challenge, and that where this team needs to keep taking steps forward. We CAN win this game, but we need our D to step up and we need to keep going with the run game. In today's game, Portland St. threw a heavy dose of the running, which (if that continues to next week) could make for an interesting match up.

• Downvote 1

Going to be an interesting weekend. On the road vs a ranked opponent. 

The two top defenses in the league. 

Two teams that try and run the  football and don't appear to throw it much/well. 

Lots of good story lines. Hoping the game gets the coverage it deserves this week

Edited by homer
  • Upvote 1

This game is a very interesting match up with UND.   Both rush the ball and very little passing.  defense both stuff the run.  however PSU has 7 interceptions in 3 games.  they seem to be solid on special teams.  this will be a tough road game.  if we win we will be leading the big sky conference after two weeks.   Who would have predicted PSU and UND leading the league after week 4.  probably no one.   This is turning out to be a very very interesting season in the Big Sky.

Big time opportunity for our team this weekend. Beating UC-Davis (in a game where I think the score was closer than the actual game) we won a game that we were supposed to. These are the kinds of games that we should wind decisively, given the direction we all want this program to go.

On to the next step, lets get a solid win on the road. Portland St has certainly been a surprise team to start the season, and it will not be an easy game, but it is winnable. Portland had a nice win over an FBS Washington St. (that is a really solid win), and a win over Idaho St, but I don't see anything too impressive over beating Western Oregon (a team who's only win is against Simon Fraser University). That is not meant to take away from this being a tough game, just to add some perspective.

Offense needs to establish the run early, and maintain it. I know they would like to develop the passing game, but i though they tried to force it a bit on Saturday when it just wasn't there. Almost got us into some trouble in the second quarter.

Defense needs to do a little better job on 3rd down. Overall this isn't as much of a concern, I think our D will step up. Reyes has played great, and Ratelle is just a stud.

Special teams, needs to limit some of those big returns.

Been a while since I've been this pumped about Sioux Football, already excited for the game on Saturday. Let's come into Homecoming on a high note (4-1). Talk about raising the confidence before Idaho St.

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 1

I really see Portland state as being a tough game, but I think they are definitely ranked pretty high given who they have played. It was tweeted that UND is the number 1 rushing defense and Portland St. is the number 2, with (i think) a 2 yard differential. BUT we have also play 1 extra game AND Portland state has played a D2 team.

As someone else mentioned, there may be a little bit of fools gold in Portland St. Not saying they won't be tough, but they are certainly beatable.

Recap from last years game vs. Portland St..  I forgot how this one ended with UND making a stop at the 2 yard line as time expired.  

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209710339&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Both teams have improved since last year.  I think ours have improved the most.  Our Oline will have to be good in both the run and pass.  Our defense will have to be careful not to give up the big play.  Trick plays off punts or multiple QB's in at one time.