SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Pretty crazy and very unorganized but I am happy this decision was made.

But thinking as unbiaseded as possible, what the hell is going on here?!?

He's likely stating it's possible that it will be put back in to calm the firestorm that's taking place right now, only to yank it at the eleventh hour. Then after a new nickname is picked he rides off into the sunset laughing to himself about the fast one he pulled on North Dakota, leaving the new President with a very irate alumni and fan base.

He's likely stating it's possible that it will be put back in to calm the firestorm that's taking place right now, only to yank it at the eleventh hour. Then after a new nickname is picked he rides off into the sunset laughing to himself about the fast one he pulled on North Dakota, leaving the new President with a very irate alumni and fan base.

Agreed.  Where is Kelley from?  I have never really dug into his background?

Not going to elaborate on whether or not I think UND should remain North Dakota, those who have been on these message boards know my position well enough on the nickname, and even more so my opinion on this appalling process.

That being said, I do have to laugh and shake my head at some of you. Since the North Dakota was eliminated from consideration, some (not all) of you (Anti- "North Dakota"/Anti-No Nickname) crowd, have been posting comments and opinions blasting people for even being upset. Of course people are going to be upset! The Fighting Sioux nickname was something people were incredibly passionate about. Moving on from the name was already hard enough, and I think people were able to cope with just North Dakota. Asking people to move on again, from North Dakota, and replace the nickname completely is going to be difficult. Don’t argue me on the benefits of moving on, I understand them, as do many others, but understanding your arguments an reasoning doesn’t mean I agree with them or am willing to change my own opinion. Just as I don’t expect my reasoning or arguments to change yours.

This same crowd is now blowing up the message board, stating how ridiculous this is, that the President has no backbone (which I agree, he doesn’t), that this committee is a job, etc. While I think we can all agree on most of these points based on the process; the funny part is that as soon as the process turns away from your opinions, you explode in anger, when mere days ago this same group of people was stating (to paraphrase), “That’s the way it is. Get over it and move on”

Not saying this changes anything, or that UND will even have the opportunity to remain North Dakota. BUT when you are going to rant on the message board about how people are being stupid, and they need to just get over an issue that they are passionate about and invested in, remember that their passion and emotion may match, or even exceed, yours about that very same issue; even if their opinion is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It is far easier to find common ground, if you understand and empathize with someone, rather than chastise them; even if you don’t agree with their view.

Go North Dakota!

(stepping off my soapbox)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not going to elaborate on whether or not I think UND should remain North Dakota, those who have been on these message boards know my position well enough on the nickname, and even more so my opinion on this appalling process.

That being said, I do have to laugh and shake my head at some of you. Since the North Dakota was eliminated from consideration, some (not all) of you (Anti- "North Dakota"/Anti-No Nickname) crowd, have been posting comments and opinions blasting people for even being upset. Of course people are going to be upset! The Fighting Sioux nickname was something people were incredibly passionate about. Moving on from the name was already hard enough, and I think people were able to cope with just North Dakota. Asking people to move on again, from North Dakota, and replace the nickname completely is going to be difficult. Don’t argue me on the benefits of moving on, I understand them, as do many others, but understanding your arguments an reasoning doesn’t mean I agree with them or am willing to change my own opinion. Just as I don’t expect my reasoning or arguments to change yours.

This same crowd is now blowing up the message board, stating how ridiculous this is, that the President has no backbone (which I agree, he doesn’t), that this committee is a job, etc. While I think we can all agree on most of these points based on the process; the funny part is that as soon as the process turns away from your opinions, you explode in anger, when mere days ago this same group of people was stating (to paraphrase), “That’s the way it is. Get over it and move on”

Not saying this changes anything, or that UND will even have the opportunity to remain North Dakota. BUT when you are going to rant on the message board about how people are being stupid, and they need to just get over an issue that they are passionate about and invested in, remember that their passion and emotion may match, or even exceed, yours about that very same issue; even if their opinion is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It is far easier to find common ground, if you understand and empathize with someone, rather than chastise them; even if you don’t agree with their view.

Go North Dakota!

Best post I've read in this thread in a LONG time. Well said.

Let's read Kelley's exact words:

I believe it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname—something that will go along with continuing to be “North Dakota”—just as other major universities have nicknames. I think students, alumni, and fans would benefit from having cheers, chants and songs that connect to a true nickname. But that doesn’t and won’t detract from the fact we will always be “North Dakota.” That said, I also want to consider the additional feedback of various stakeholders in this process. Many different opinions have been expressed, and they have come from many sources. Over the next few weeks I plan to further review all the feedback received, and I will consider the possible addition of “North Dakota” in the voting process. 

Much ado about nothing folks. He tipped his hand in his wording.

He'll "further review all the feedback received" and work with his consultants (and his retirement party planner Dr. Eric Longie) and they'll help him verify as he's already said," ... it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname ... "

Or, he'll call the NCAA and have them be the bad guy in this with a "no nickname doesn't meet the intent of the settlement; name or naughty list" letter. 

Go North Dakota!

Wow! That is good, very accurate, and says it best for all of us no nickname people!

?

They took the old name.

They "took" the no nickname option (not really).

Now they tease that they'll give the option back so you're happy ... missing that they took the old name. 

I believe the phrase is "you're being played; we're all being played."

So should any nickname beat out the "no nickname" in the final vote and should there be more protests, will Kelley capitulate and just keep opening up the "no nickname" option to continually appease the screaming masses? 

So should any nickname beat out the "no nickname" in the final vote and should there be more protests, will Kelley capitulate and just keep opening up the "no nickname" option to continually appease the screaming masses? 

I think if the No Nickname option went to vote, and lost, people would be much more accepting of it. I know I would. My anger in the situation, was being told up front that my opion (or vote) would not be hear. Should I make my vote and still lose, sure I'll be bummed, but at least the process would have played out.

• Upvote 1

If a nickname beats the no nickname option I suspect some will still be upset, but the vast majority, in my opinion, could live with it. But one of the most popular options through the entire process shouldn't have been eliminated in fear of Kelly vetoing it. If he wants to go against the vote, let him.

Let's reverse it, of no nickname beats a nickname in a vote, would the "move on" crowd accept it? I doubt it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Let's reverse it, of no nickname beats a nickname in a vote, would the "move on" crowd accept it? I doubt it.

Exactly...  the same people that were praising the committee and administration yesterday for doing the right thing are now crying that the president has no backbone.

Go North Dakota!

UND always has always been, currently is and always will be North Dakota.

And you realize this is about a nickname/logo right? Its in inanimate object that people are treating like a deity.

So many people are stuck in the Denial and Anger stages of grief and don't realize it. If they took a step back and realized it, things would be a lot easier for them.

• Upvote 2

And you realize this is about a nickname/logo right? Its in inanimate object that people are treating like a deity.

So many people are stuck in the Denial and Anger stages of grief and don't realize it. If they took a step back and realized it, things would be a lot easier for them.

To reiterate:

Don’t argue me on the benefits of moving on, I understand them, as do many others, but understanding your arguments an reasoning doesn’t mean I agree with them or am willing to change my own opinion. Just as I don’t expect my reasoning or arguments to change yours.

My point was the anti-no nickname crowd, was praising the committee and president mere days ago because they were getting their way. The instant that changed, or appeared to have changed, they are upset and condemning the president. Now, I am not a fan of this process as a whole; BUT you have to realize that the process sucks regardless of the outcome, not only when the outcome does not benefit your opinion.

There are several reasons why popular opinion via polls is misleading. Although the polls regarding this subject may be accurately projecting popular opinion in the Grand Forks area, I just don't see that majority as being rational thought, but rather emotional, impulsive subjectivity. 

When I sit in the stands to watch UND compete on the field, court, or ice, I do not think about the nickname/logo. Instead, I concentrate on the players, the competition, and how UND can defeat their opponent. That's the same thing that the players and coaches are thinking, and should it not be the same thing that the fans/supporters/alumni in the stands are thinking? 

By delaying this process, UND continues to take attention off the student-athletes and the competition on the field/court/ice. The nickname standoff should not be the focus! I want to see UND win conference titles, FCS titles, NCAA hockey titles, not some abstract nickname civil war. 

Let's move on and worry about what we as UND supporters, fans, alumni, etc. can do to affect the score on the scoreboard, not the name on the jersey. That means if people would attend football and basketball games with the same enthusiasm that they are attacking this fiasco with, UND would be a top 10 school in all sports, and it is that that disappoints me the most in my fellow North Dakotans. 

Should also note, that people are upset about more than just the nickname logo itself. It is about having something they support stripped from them by the PC crowd, it is about having their most popular (or one of their most popular options) take away from them at the end of the process. The process in itself is very upsetting.

Flip the scenario, if Kelley had come out today and just said, UND WILL REMAIN NORTH DAKOTA, could you take a step back, accept it, and make it easier for yourself? Or would you have some emotion, that having no-nickname is not the direction you want for this school? I'm thinking you would probably be somewhat upset, aggravated, annoyed, etc.

My point was the anti-no nickname crowd, was praising the committee and president mere days ago because they were getting their way. The instant that changed, or appeared to have changed, they are upset and condemning the president. Now, I am not a fan of this process as a whole; BUT you have to realize that the process sucks regardless of the outcome, not only when the outcome does not benefit your opinion.

No one is flip-flopping. 

Kelley had zero to do with what happened Tuesday, no one was praising him for the committee making the right decision.  The committee had zero to do with what happened today, no one is condemning them for Kelley appeasing a vocal group of people, many who threw public temper-tantrums.

• Upvote 1