SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

10 hours ago, bison73 said:

Ive got a thing against rumor and innuendo.  Very poor retort on your part.

Well for crying out loud. Your OC has negative accusations against him right now by far more than just me and you are constantly so upset by them. I remember you telling me to "answer carefully" a week or two ago. Threats on a message board!! A UND football message board none the less! 

No one is saying he is a terrible coach or person. It's speculation. Speculation that even NDSU will admit. Get over it.  

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Additional concerns:
Doesn't the AD want to know? or does he?    Knows, but doesn't care to know, has plausible deniability. (like a Clinton under oath)
Is winning that important? Cover up?             YES.  Story will be ignored as much as possible.  1st time ever taking stimulant, only 1 player involved if we hear more.
Is press schooled to keep mouth shut?         Obviously.
Chapman cheating plan still in place?           Yes, but still pretend SU just 'works harder' and that's the advantage they have.  But I think this is internal within the football staff and culture.

I think these are all pretty easy answers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SlowHand said:

Everyone here prepared to apologize if it comes out that its prescription adderral?

I bet that if they somehow find a prescription. That couldn’t be provided at the time of the drug failure it won’t take the press a week to write the story.  

It will be front page for all to see, likely written once to get it out and updated a second time with quotes.  

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

There is no scandal.
What there is here is an instructive moment about how Fargo media seems to operate with regard to NDSU Football. 

Fargo media or at least some portion of it (as shown by Hoole's own tweets) knew there was an issue on at least Wednesday before the national championship game.
They did not report on the issue until it was all but forced on them, meaning the visible non-presence of Robbins in a televised game. 

Their job is not to 'protect' NDSU Football. Their job is to report news. A suspended starting fullback is news. NCAA sanctions (no senior season) is news. 

What this does is open Fargo media to the uglier question: What else do they know but are choosing to not report?

I think this is a perfectly rational and reasonable conclusion to draw from all of this. If you think that NDSU and the Fargo media have a mutually beneficial business relationship that they work to preserve by entering what you may consider a grey area of reporting ethics, then ok.

What I take exception with are others on this board who are attempting to conflate that relationship with some master conspiracy and diminish NDSU’s success by assuming the whole team is on steroids.

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

What I take exception with are others on this board who are attempting to conflate that relationship with some master conspiracy and diminish NDSU’s success by assuming the whole team is on steroids.

The problem is this: 
By not reporting truth, especially unpleasant truth, when they find it they've opened up themselves (the media) and by association NDSU to uglier questions. And with that they've allowed for rampant speculation based on what has come out. It all revolves back to ... 

"What else do they know but are choosing to not report?" 

That's the problem, the situation, they've created. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Honestly, NDSU could've shed all of this with one short press release faxed at 0100 on Thursday morning before the game. 

"< blah blah blah > tested positive for X during standard post-game NCAA testing. < blah blah > given to player(s) by < blah blah > oversight in failing to apply for exemption  < blah blah blah > appeal denied. No further comments at this time." 

For all we know they many have. 

• Upvote 1

It was a banned preworkout supplement. There is a high amount of caffeine and other stimulants in most preworkouts. So it's not like the guy was on steroids, but as I stated earlier it is up to the coaches and trainers of the programs to tell dudes what to put in their bodies and what not to.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Honestly, NDSU could've shed all of this with one short press release faxed at 0100 on Thursday morning before the game. 

"< blah blah blah > tested positive for X during standard post-game NCAA testing. < blah blah > given to player(s) by < blah blah > oversight in failing to apply for exemption  < blah blah blah > appeal denied. No further comments at this time." 

For all we know they many have. 

Back to the point that’s been brought up many times, a press release like that is revealing inside information to an opponent heading into the most important game of the year.

All of this can be just as easily explained as a strategic protection of a players playing status as it can be a conspiracy to cover it up. Depending on one’s perspective they will decide for themselves which perspective they choose.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

It was a banned preworkout supplement. There is a high amount of caffeine and other stimulants in most preworkouts. So it's not like the guy was on steroids, but as I stated earlier it is up to the coaches and trainers of the programs to tell dudes what to put in their bodies and what not to.

As you seem to be aware though, it isn’t always readily available what ingredients are actually in supplements as it is an poorly regulated industry. That said, it’s a player’s responsibility if it goes in his body. My only point is to say that it’s very possible that he had no idea the banned stimulant was even in the supplement.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Back to the point that’s been brought up many times, a press release like that is revealing inside information to an opponent heading into the most important thing game of the year.

All of this can be just as easily explained as a strategic protection of a players playing status as it can be a conspiracy to cover it up. Depending on one’s perspective they will decide for themselves which perspective they choose.

So how do you explain all of the media members being in on the "strategic protection of a players status"?  They don't work for NDSU, correct?  But yet not one of them went rogue and tweeted it out....hmmm.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Back to the point that’s been brought up many times, a press release like that is revealing inside information to an opponent heading into the most important thing game of the year.

So if that's NDSU's reason for not issuing a release, fine. NDSU's call. 

But if the media finds out the information and holds it for the same reason they're conspiring. That's failing Journalism 101. And it begs the question ... 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But if the media finds out the information and holds it for the same reason they're conspiring. That's failing Journalism 101. And it begs the question ... 

If everything you are accusing them of is 100% true, then at the absolute worst they sat on in for three days and then asked the coach to publicly address it in the post-game press conference.

Not exactly Watergate here. If months went by and some outsider uncovered the story and it came to light that way, yeah that’s a cover-up. But three days and then it gets addressed in no uncertain terms, I’m not seeing the major problem.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thats what one calls ---a logical fallacy.

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So how do you explain all of the media members being in on the "strategic protection of a players status"?  They don't work for NDSU, correct?  But yet not one of them went rogue and tweeted it out....hmmm.

I’m not trying to be insulting, but that’s a naive stance to take.

Reporters walk this line daily, especially in sports. You’re a reporter that wants to get close to players so they give you good stories so you can do your job well? Good luck if your running articles that the players and coaches are unhappy about. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s business. 

You think the UND hockey team beat reporter writes articles about every single conversation he hears while on the road and team plane and team bus etc? No chance. He wouldn’t be very welcome by the coaches if he/she did that. It’s not covering it up, it’s just choosing to write about other things.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Reporters walk this line daily, especially in sports. You’re a reporter that wants to get close to players so they give you good stories so you can do your job well? Good luck if your running articles that the players and coaches are unhappy about. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s business. 

You think the UND hockey team beat reporter writes articles about every single conversation he hears while on the road and team plane and team bus etc? No chance. He wouldn’t be very welcome by the coaches if he/she did that. It’s not covering it up, it’s just choosing to write about other things.

Little different in the hockey reporter reporting about general conversations in the locker room and on the bus as opposed to failing a drug test

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

He is one guy.  ONE.  There were around 12-15 total between Forum, KFGO, FAN, 1100, 1660, KVLY,  and KVRR that kept it under wraps.  That's a bit much.  They all talk to each other at these things.  

22 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As you seem to be aware though, it isn’t always readily available what ingredients are actually in supplements as it is an poorly regulated industry. That said, it’s a player’s responsibility if it goes in his body. My only point is to say that it’s very possible that he had no idea the banned stimulant was even in the supplement.

Quite honestly, the ncaa has made it so you shouldn’t be taking any supplements besides what your trainer says.

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He is one guy.  ONE.  There were around 12-15 total between Forum, KFGO, FAN, 1100, 1660, KVLY,  and KVRR that kept it under wraps.  That's a bit much.  They all talk to each other at these things.  

It’s complete speculation on your part that all of them knew about it. 

Its not like reporters are taking role call on which players are there and aren’t, there’s a lot of guys on the football team. Maybe only a few noticed he wasn’t there.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It’s complete speculation on your part that all of them knew about it. 

Its not like reporters are taking role call on which players are there and aren’t, there’s a lot of guys on the football team. Maybe only a few noticed he wasn’t there.

Not really.  They knew.  

8 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

Little different in the hockey reporter reporting about general conversations in the locker room and on the bus as opposed to failing a drug test

Maybe, maybe not.

In both cases, a reporter is choosing to withhold information they have that the public might be interested in

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Not really.  They knew.  

How could you possibly know what they knew and when they knew it? Maybe we know when one of them knew based on previous posts, but when did the rest of them find out?