SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

I agree with you on the parity...but that would explain earlier losses in the NCAAs or a tougher regular season. No matter what year we are talking about, the last four teams will be good in the F4. Going back to those natty years, all four teams were solid.

I can't speak for him, but when I think of the parity argument, o think about the last three teams to win the national championship. Even going back to Duluth. The champs haven't exactly been teams you would expect.

I can't speak for him, but when I think of the parity argument, o think about the last three teams to win the national championship. Even going back to Duluth. The champs haven't exactly been teams you would expect.

I agree there.  There definitely is more parity, but again the final 4 teams are always good.  Even Providence was #2 in the pre-season polls.  They started off terribly and than had to deal with some key injuries.  Those pre-season polls were pretty close this year.

Nice chat guys.  I'm going to stay away from this topic for the offseason...it really goes no where :)  I'll stick to 15-16 and our recruits...much more positve vibe.

I agree there. There definitely is more parity, but again the final 4 teams are always good. Even Providence was #2 in the pre-season polls. They started off terribly and than had to deal with some key injuries. Those pre-season polls were pretty close this year.

Nice chat guys. I'm going to stay away from this topic for the offseason...it really goes no where :) I'll stick to 15-16 and our recruits...much more positve vibe.

True that. Is it October yet? I'm excited for next season, already planning a trip for the Wisconsin series, and hopefully the boys can strong together some wins and make Tampa so the wife and I can go. I feel it's going to be a slow start, but if this team gets the offense clicking early, it could be a really fun ride.

I agree with you on the parity...but that would explain earlier losses in the NCAAs or a tougher regular season.  No matter what year we are talking about, the last four teams will be good in the F4.  Going back to those natty years, all four teams were solid.

Does anyone think our out of conference games hurt us? I mean I like seeing us play Wisconsin, Minnesota and teams from the old conference but should we be playing more teams out East (so we can get used to that style of play)?

On the live chat today Schlossman said he talked to 2 former captains in Boston who both said fans critical of Hakstol have no clue just how good this coaching staff is.

I'll go out on a limb and say one was Kristo.

Would Pattyn qualify as former Captain at this point? I would venture a guess you'd get the same statement from him.

Does anyone think our out of conference games hurt us? I mean I like seeing us play Wisconsin, Minnesota and teams from the old conference but should we be playing more teams out East (so we can get used to that style of play)?

I was thinking our tough schedule may have beat up a little too much. I suspect Drake and Parks are both playing hurt. need more cupcakes :~

Well, that's a pretty big one when you coach UND Hockey.  Just like when a person coaches North Carolina, Indiana, or Kentucky basketball.  Better win one every so often or you are gone.  

That is, unless UND isn't considered one of the top hockey programs.  

People write that like a coach controls that.  No coach controls that.

Here is what coaches control:

1.  What players they recruit

2.  How those players are trained physically

3.  How the players are taught/trained from a skills standpoint

4.  Which players play, and in what line combinations

5.  What style of play they implement, designed plays to be used, and in game adjustments to those plays, all in the context of available players

6.  Proper motivation of the players to work hard, train hard and play hard, using the skills taught

Is there something else Hakstol, or any other coach controls?  After that, you just send them out there and see what happens.

I don't have a problem with Hak on any of those things.  I think he's recruited great, and continues to do so.  Sure we lose some players early, or to Canada, but everyone does.

I've never felt that Hak's teams were physically out of shape or not properly trained.  They play as hard as any team in college hockey from an effort standpoint.

So again I ask, where do you think he is deficient in terms of his coaching, and why?  What's your basis for claiming your way is better?

By the way, I'm still waiting for a link to any third party who thinks Hak should be on a short leash with respect to this job.

Next year we play UAH and UW...those are our best cupcake options for next season.

The point I was going for is the killer schedule that the "west" teams have put the team at a disadvantage with regard to have players battling injuries at the end of the year.

Another thought was how a team is upset much to surprise of the fans, when BU lost to PC, had BU been so focused on UND that they left nothing in the tank?

Not much else for me to think about on this windy afternoon, I hate wish summer gone but I wish it was October.

Players and coaches shouldn't read fan forums at all, period. There is nothing to be gained from doing that.

That's what you got out of that? You sure know what's best for the players and coaches. Can you please apply the next time there's an AD opening. You have my support.

I find it funny that the anti-Hakstol posters on this board all profess they are not calling for him to be fired, and can't tell us what he is doing incorrectly with respect to the team or the program, except for the "he hasn't won me a natty" refrain.

So I guess my question is, if you don't think he should be fired, why are you guys here whining?  Either call for his head (and suffer the public ridicule that goes with putting your name to an idea that anyone who is even remotely neutral thinks is crazy), or quit whining.  You don't get to have it both ways.

And if you think he is making mistakes as a coach that has caused UND to lose these games, lets hear it.  What mistake, exactly, did Hakstol make in the BU game?  Should he have started Cam Johnson in goal?  Was there a different line combination that he should have used?  And tell me why these decisions caused us to lose?

I'll hang up and listen.

Uh, he badly "coached" the Sioux players into hitting 2 pipes in the 2nd period and also badly "coached" Zane into giving up at least 2 goals that I'm sure he would like back.  Yeah, blame the coaching.  Hire (insert other coache's name here) and that bad "coaching" would not have happened.  Can't make it up. 

Want to know what's funny

Is all of you guys who blow this way out of proportion

So bad that national media guys like starwoman and other people pick up on the fire Hak? Question that I ask

Haha. Yep, the Hak is a good coach crowd draw the attention of the national media. I actually laughed out loud at this one. You're getting to obvious in your troll posts man.

The list-

James Patrick

Steve Johnson

Dean Blais

George Gwozdecky

Keith Allain

Rich Bennett

Motzko

Rick Zombo

Dave Tippett

Now the Hak defenders can point out the deficiencies in all, but each one, on day one is equal to Dave Hakstol in at least one way-

They haven't won a National Championship at UND in the last 11 years!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1