SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Its hockey and its played on ice not on paper. You're still going to go get the best players you can. Ask Minnesota about losing to Union last year; who do you think had more draft picks. Same case when Yale won it. Does the #1 NHL team win the cup every year?

Our loss in the tourney to Michigan was the perfect example. We came out of that regional winning games 6-0 and 6-1. Far and away the best team in the tourney on paper, and to that point the best team on the ice. Hockey doesn't always reward the best team, and the outcome doesn't always reflect the play. We have won games this year where we were probably not the better team out there, and against Boston we had the better play.

In a full season with this many games, and a tourney that is 1 and done, anyone who gets in has a chance to win. Thats just the way it is. Do you think Boston losing means they should fire their coach? Do you Deano should be fired, because he lost in the Semis? No because it happens. The only reason people can complain about Hak losing so many Frozen Fours, is because he has gotten us to that many Frozen Fours. Which is more than just about anyone else out there.

Agreed.  That loss to Michigan is a most painful reminder that the best team often does not win.  And Hak has gotten us to the Frozen Four so many times.  Many other teams are out in the first round.  And speaking of Michigan, Michigan went 32 years between national titles.  Winning title #8 wasn't easy for the Wolverines, any more than it is for the Sioux.  Michigan won six of the first nine NCAA Division I hockey titles, then didn't win #7 until 1964.  Number 8 didn't come until 1996.  There's a new face to Division I men's hockey, Union winning it all in 2014 and Providence in 2015.  We may not like it, but parity is the name of the game in college hockey.

Tippet

Sandy

Eadesy

Blaiser

Hertsy

I could go on and on

Crickets ain't chirping anymore bud

It appears former player is a criteria, maybe if you listed other criteria more names can be brought forward,

I don't think Hak "needs" to go, but coaching changes do happen... so I see no harm in the discussion of a replacement. I would rather discuss how we as fans can help the program.(overlooking the Ralph Englestad route until I win the lottery)

Bashing on Refs: It's fun, It may be accurate, does it make us a target?

Bashing the NCAA: Call it the curse of the logo, did a certain ref get assigned because of...

I would be willing to bet Tippet doesn't step down to the college ranks (I know I know, Andy Murray did) but Tippet is a better coach than Murray.

Sandy, PLEASE (if you base his whole coaching resume off of one title than you obviously don't know hockey).

Blais, would be  nice to see that but he isn't going to, he is close to riding off into the sunset.

Eades, maybe but I think there are some underlying issues (speculating so don't take it serious) that UND wants to stay away from.

Tippett is unrealistic.  And I you are whining about Hak's postseason record take a look at how this guy has done.  His teams have gotten swept in 7 a game series multiple times.  Imagine how he would fair in one-and-done formats.

Sandelin wouldn't leave the comfort of UMD even though he played here.  He is comfortable there and has job security.  Plus only 5 tourney appearances in 15 years?  And Duluth isn't exactly a little-sister of the poor when it comes to hockey.

Blais would be awesome to get back but it's just not gonna happen.  You might as well hold out hope for Gino or the ghost of Herb Brooks.

Eades would be realistic but he doesn't exactly have the best playoff record either.  Plus if you want to move away from Hak do you really want to replace him with a guy that spent most of his time as a coach under Hak's system?

So is college basketball.  And college football.  And the NFL for that matter.

I don't hear the "one and done" excuse used in those sports.  So why are we using it?

IMHO, in football and basketball the pace is slower, there are more time outs, there is more coaching input, the fast paced dynamic of hockey leans toward conditioned responses and effort along with recognition (hockey sense)

Your thoughts?

What about Hrkac, Troy Murray, Jason Blake?

just spitballing,

I seem to recall some where that great players don't make great coachs, Gretzky vs. that Detroit coach, who I recall play Canadian college, so not calling him a great player may me look the fool, but looking like a fool on an internet forum is all the craze

Eades did a pretty good job rebuilding Sioux Falls

Eades got canned for cirCUMstamces out of his control

Yeah, but why would you replace a guy you fired with one of his former assistants and mentees?  That's like firing Belichick and replacing him with Josh McDaniels...

And no I'm not comparing Hak to Bellichick... It's just the only example I could come up with that everyone would know who the assistant was.

IMHO, in football and basketball the pace is slower, there are more time outs, there is more coaching input, the fast paced dynamic of hockey leans toward conditioned responses and effort along with recognition (hockey sense)

Your thoughts?

Careful 90siouxfan, I got skewered here for such talk...and I agree with you. 

I would be willing to bet Tippet doesn't step down to the college ranks (I know I know, Andy Murray did) but Tippet is a better coach than Murray.

Sandy, PLEASE (if you base his whole coaching resume off of one title than you obviously don't know hockey).

Blais, would be  nice to see that but he isn't going to, he is close to riding off into the sunset.

Eades, maybe but I think there are some underlying issues (speculating so don't take it serious) that UND wants to stay away from.

Hold your horses bud.  Murray was a decent coach. 

Anyways, you're right Tippet isn't anywhere near ready to walk away from the pro game yet.  I just read on Twitter that he isn't getting fired. 

Hold your horses bud.  Murray was a decent coach. 

Anyways, you're right Tippet isn't anywhere near ready to walk away from the pro game yet.  I just read on Twitter that he isn't getting fired. 

I never said Murray was a bad coach, I just said that Tippet was/is better.

Based on what comparison :)

Look at their overall body of work and compare the two (I threw out Tippets IHL championship). Tippet consistently got his teams to the playoffs, especially the Coyotes and all the turmoil they have gone through over the years. That's why I think Tippet is better than Murray.

Look at their overall body of work and compare the two (I threw out Tippets IHL championship). Tippet consistently got his teams to the playoffs, especially the Coyotes and all the turmoil they have gone through over the years. That's why I think Tippet is better than Murray.

Fair.

Of the ones listed over $1 million.

Tippett was listed in the top 5 for NHL based on the list I saw.

Yeo makes about $1 million

Babcock makes about $2 but is about to make northwards of $4

I saw Gretzky was making over $8 million when he was coach/GM

The figure I see for Hak is $435,000 with max bonuses